Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Older Adults Embrace " Living Apart" Together

Message 1 of 4 (1,568 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

I guess my friends were ahead of their time! They were a professional couple; he never wanted the headaches of homeownership .. but she wanted a house, so they got one. She worked long hours & he got stuck with a lot of the housework & cooking. Once they were empty nesters, he suggested moving back into a condo; she didn't want to .. so he moved by himself! They still spent a lot of time together & vacationed together. He had also been somewhat controlling, and they came from a culture where the wife was expected to go along with that. Having her own place allowed her to blossom, allowed to make her own decisions. When they got older & taking care of the house by herself became too much, they looked for a larger unit in the same building .. but couldn't find one. One of them was still smoking, and the other had a problem living with that, so she wound up getting her own apartment elsewhere in the same building. It seemed to work for them, although it might be financially difficult for some couples.

Great story and great way to deal with issues that could have sent others to Divorce Court.   This was much more sensible.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 4 (1,655 Views)

I guess my friends were ahead of their time! They were a professional couple; he never wanted the headaches of homeownership .. but she wanted a house, so they got one. She worked long hours & he got stuck with a lot of the housework & cooking. Once they were empty nesters, he suggested moving back into a condo; she didn't want to .. so he moved by himself! They still spent a lot of time together & vacationed together. He had also been somewhat controlling, and they came from a culture where the wife was expected to go along with that. Having her own place allowed her to blossom, allowed to make her own decisions. When they got older & taking care of the house by herself became too much, they looked for a larger unit in the same building .. but couldn't find one. One of them was still smoking, and the other had a problem living with that, so she wound up getting her own apartment elsewhere in the same building. It seemed to work for them, although it might be financially difficult for some couples.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 3 of 4 (1,683 Views)

Interesting article. We have talked about this before and I know people who are in this type of relationship.  

Mskes sense to me.

Highlighted

Older Adults Embrace " Living Apart" Together

Message 4 of 4 (1,692 Views)

Since 1990, the divorce rate among adults 50 years and older has doubled. This trend, along with longer life expectancy, has resulted in many adults forming new partnerships later in life. A new phenomenon called “Living Apart Together” (LAT) — an intimate relationship without a shared residence — is gaining popularity as an alternative form of commitment among both older and younger adults.

http://www.nextavenue.org/older-adults-embrace-living-apart-together