Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Alone for the holidays?

Message 1 of 7

So now we are only a few weeks away from Christmas.  

There have been so many stories posted about alternatives to being alone that I am sure by now most people who live alone have either made plans or decided to stay home alone.

What are the plans?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 7

ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - Many snowbirds use Thanksgiving as their annual cut-off for going south, and leave right after spending the holiday with relatives up north.

I actually posted the question yesterday in an "elder orphan" group online, asking how people felt about getting a last-minute or left-handed invitation for Thanksgiving dinner from a casual friend, when you thought it was a "pity invitation" because that person couldn't imagine anyone being happy by themselves.

I got an invite like that yesterday, as an aside to why the person really called. I was kind of shocked by how many EO's said they'd go for the free food (unless they were kidding), and how many said they'd go anyway, to "make the hostess happy because they were so generous to offer." I know the person who invited me well enough, to know that she's sure everyone single feels bad for themselves, and that she needs an audience for her gossiping. No thanks!

I guess I would only go if I really didn't want to stay home alone.  I went to the family dinner yesterday and it was nice.  It is always good to see all of the kids and how they have grown and catch up on what is going on with everyone that I havn't already read about on social media Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 7

@nyadrn - Many snowbirds use Thanksgiving as their annual cut-off for going south, and leave right after spending the holiday with relatives up north.

I actually posted the question yesterday in an "elder orphan" group online, asking how people felt about getting a last-minute or left-handed invitation for Thanksgiving dinner from a casual friend, when you thought it was a "pity invitation" because that person couldn't imagine anyone being happy by themselves.

I got an invite like that yesterday, as an aside to why the person really called. I was kind of shocked by how many EO's said they'd go for the free food (unless they were kidding), and how many said they'd go anyway, to "make the hostess happy because they were so generous to offer." I know the person who invited me well enough, to know that she's sure everyone single feels bad for themselves, and that she needs an audience for her gossiping. No thanks!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 4 of 7

ASTRAEA wrote:

17-11-23 - Thanksgiving - 1.JPGSorry I didn't notice this discussion earlier! Since my immediate family is gone, I've been sharing holidays with 2nd cousins who live in north Jersey. But in the last couple of years, half of that family have gone south for the holiday, while the other half went to a local restaurant. This year no one called me about it, so I bought a little chicken & just roasted it for myself .. came out delicious!

The one feral cat sitting in the sun outside didn't even realize how yummy real chicken is .. too used to canned cat food & kibble!

I think however a person wants to celebrate a holiday is the best for them!  I am sure there are many who go to semi obrigatory holiday dinners would like to trade places with you : ).  I am probably looking at my last year of work and I could very likely be snowbirding by next year.  I may not come back for the holdays... who knows.

Message 5 of 7

17-11-23 - Thanksgiving - 1.JPGSorry I didn't notice this discussion earlier! Since my immediate family is gone, I've been sharing holidays with 2nd cousins who live in north Jersey. But in the last couple of years, half of that family have gone south for the holiday, while the other half went to a local restaurant. This year no one called me about it, so I bought a little chicken & just roasted it for myself .. came out delicious!

The one feral cat sitting in the sun outside didn't even realize how yummy real chicken is .. too used to canned cat food & kibble!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 6 of 7

This is s topic that never gets old.  As the senior population ages, more of us are alone for holidays and events.  Some of us have been single a long time and for some, this is a new experience.  

So so what are your plans for this years holidays?   

Will you be alone by necessity of choice?

Are you making s change from prior years?

Alone for the holidays?

Message 7 of 7

https://www.verywell.com/how-to-cope-when-you-are-alone-at-thanksgiving-3024302

Being alone on Thanksgiving can feel challenging. This holiday is a time of year that many people spend in the company of family and friends. If you suffer with social anxiety disorder (SAD), you might find yourself alone this time of year.

Perhaps you turned down invitations to gatherings because of your anxiety, or maybe your relatives live out of town. Whatever the reason for being alone, there are ways that you can feel less lonely.