AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: A Guide to Aging

Message 1 of 6

ASTRAEA wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

I think the issue with the available education programs etc is that those who need it most are probably least likely to use it. 

I'm sure you're absolutely right, but shouldn't normal adults be expected to take responsibility for their lives, and not demand to have things spoon-fed to them?

After I moved, I made a point of checking out activities at the community college, and find a website listing all the theaters in the region. I got on mailing lists, so I could keep up with what was going on .. I didn't expect anyone to do that for me, and neither should anyone else.

Yes they should but the one's that need it most, need it partially because for many reasons they either don't or won't or can't seem to be responsible and handle things.  Yes some cannot, but others will not. Some cannot stand to see themselves changing and admitting they need help and there are probably hundreds of other reasons.  It is almost like classes should be mandatory.  I know that sounds mean but it could really help.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 6

nyadrn wrote:

I think the issue with the available education programs etc is that those who need it most are probably least likely to use it. 

I'm sure you're absolutely right, but shouldn't normal adults be expected to take responsibility for their lives, and not demand to have things spoon-fed to them?

After I moved, I made a point of checking out activities at the community college, and find a website listing all the theaters in the region. I got on mailing lists, so I could keep up with what was going on .. I didn't expect anyone to do that for me, and neither should anyone else.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 3 of 6

ASTRAEA wrote:

Many H.S.'s & community colleges have adult ed/continuing education programs. They include short courses to keep up with basic computer skills, learn how to use digital cameras, smart phones, and other electronic devices. Many have basic courses on finance & investing, and the transition to retirement. These programs are generally 1 to 4 or 6 sessions, and reasonably priced. Often the local H.S.'s do a full-town mailing annually, so everyone knows these programs exist. Sometimes the community colleges do mailings to county residents > a certain age.

I've always felt that medical insurance should cover a short period of "tune up therapy", perhaps every 5 or 10 years. That would certainly help people transition through the various phases of their lives .. young adult, young family, preparing for retirement & empty nest, post-retirement & a new normal physically, and elder years. Some people still don't understand that therapists don't try to "tell you what to do", but help walk you thru the process of figuring it out for yourself, and keeping you from going off in less productive directions.

Message 4 of 6

Many H.S.'s & community colleges have adult ed/continuing education programs. They include short courses to keep up with basic computer skills, learn how to use digital cameras, smart phones, and other electronic devices. Many have basic courses on finance & investing, and the transition to retirement. These programs are generally 1 to 4 or 6 sessions, and reasonably priced. Often the local H.S.'s do a full-town mailing annually, so everyone knows these programs exist. Sometimes the community colleges do mailings to county residents > a certain age.

I've always felt that medical insurance should cover a short period of "tune up therapy", perhaps every 5 or 10 years. That would certainly help people transition through the various phases of their lives .. young adult, young family, preparing for retirement & empty nest, post-retirement & a new normal physically, and elder years. Some people still don't understand that therapists don't try to "tell you what to do", but help walk you thru the process of figuring it out for yourself, and keeping you from going off in less productive directions.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 5 of 6

This could cover all of us I know, but singles are more dependent on themselves to deal with all the aspects of their lives.  Do they need extra help, or are they more prepared because they have learned to be?

Highlighted

A Guide to Aging

Message 6 of 6

When we are kids, we are sent to school to learn the basic skills we will need to live our lives successfully.  Diploma in hand, or without one, we go off to begin our lives.  We are "prepared".

Great

I have determined after my many years of living, that what we really need is continuing education in

life skills not taught in college.  Think about all the skills needed to live successful lives and then think about what happens if people do not have those skills.  If you find out about saving money at 60, you have lost all of the best early years.   Just like in school, there is a progressive path that becomes clear once you are on it and refreshers as you age so you don't forget.  Paperwork will be needed, decisions will need to be made.  Changes in housing will have to match changes in physical ability in many cases.  

But, if they were offered, would people go and would they or could they make changes?  I don't know. 

So are you prepared for your later years?  How did you determine what you needed and or wanted to do?  Do you feel ready for your "new age"?