Make Your Weekend a Day or Two Longer With Cheap Trip Ideas at AARP Travel’s Take A Day.

Info Seeker

Re: "Consumer" Cellular

Message 1 of 10 (968 Views)

I have been using Consumer Cellular for nearly two years and am extremely happy with it. So far, I have gotten excellent service and pay less than anyone else I know. I like that they let you switch the number of calls, texts, etc. at any point during the billing cycle and also alert you when you are nearing your max so that you can cut down and having to upgrade.

It is disappointing to hear that others have not been as well served as I have by Consumer Cellular.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 10 (984 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Consumer Reports rated their customer service very highly. Apparently this is all very subjective.

Have to agree with @ASTRAEA on this one.

My wife and I are not big cell phone users. We WERE going to use them as our house phone but for some reason, even though there are 5 towers within 2 miles of us, we seem to be in a dead zone, one bar at best at home. Doesn't matter what cell company we are with either, tried several.

So we use the phones only when we are "out and about" like to find each other in a mall and such. We also use them regularly when on vacation.

We aren't too much for technology either; still have flip phones, I am embarrassed to say.

So we were looking for something cheap. Consumer Cellular is cheap and, other than at our house, has excellent coverage, good reception(even through the mountains of West Virginia), and I don't know about others, but every time I have called customer service, there was almost no hold time, my questions were answered succinctly and they were very polite.

And I will tell you this, I am giving them a positive review even though I am a chronic complainer, so they must be doing something right.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 10 (995 Views)
Amen, I now have cell and home phone for a fraction of what i was paying before and I have had no problem with the service or the phones. Plus they give discounts monthly and upgrade for free.
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 10 (1,288 Views)

does community cellular offer international coverage

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 10 (1,880 Views)

The price may be good but tech support is questionable. Last night in the middle of a family emergency my phone displayed ' No Sevice'. Turns out they shut the doors and turn out the lights at the end of their business day. There is no one to help you at night. Their web site does not offer outage reports or any other support help. I have other ways to communiate but was greatly

inconvenienced by this issue. I can't imagine how frustrating this would be to a fellow senior with few or no other ways to communicate in an emergency

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 10 (4,118 Views)

We've had Consumer Cellular service for over a year and have no complaints. In fact, if your usage is about to go over the limit of the plan you are currently on, they will email you an alert so you can upgrade your plan prior to the billing date. This allows you to avoid the high per-minute charge you face if/when you exceed your current limit.

The lowest usage plan runs about $17 per month. Bills come by email. Can't beat it.

Community Manager

Message 7 of 10 (4,562 Views)

@eberlym: We're sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your cellular service. If you would like our assistance, please call us at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) or email, member@aarp.org.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 10 (4,570 Views)

Consumer Reports rated their customer service very highly. Apparently this is all very subjective.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 10 (4,574 Views)
My cell phone has been down three times in three months. Its down right now all day
Info Seeker

"Consumer" Cellular

Message 10 of 10 (5,486 Views)
It sure looks like the AARP doesn't check out how good the companies behind its many "special offers" are.  I just got their mailing about this cell company I never heard of, and found this much negative info in about a minute:
http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/consumer-cellular/4505-6454_7-33911707.html
-
Users' opinions are highly polarized, but the very negative ones (rating of 1 or 2) are about equal to those giving it a 4 or 5.  Not exaclty what you want to hear about a cell company.  So how much did they bribe the AARP to get 'em to front this offer? 
-
Personally, I've had no trouble in 1 1/2 years with the $30/mo prepaid Straight Talk service, using Verizon's network and one of the few recommended as a good cheap buy by Consumer Reports. 
-
Doug Finley