That is priceless.
Info Seeker

Re: Watch Out for Prize Scams

Message 2 of 9 (104 Views)

And not necessarily in that order Smiley Happy

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 9 (834 Views)
My goal is not to have them call again. I tell them "Just a minute," and I come back to the phone 15 minutes later. If they're still on, I do it again. I think I've dome away with all the computer "repair" companies by telling them I don't have a computer.
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 9 (1,360 Views)

Got one of those 'credit card calls'  we can lower your rates, etc... I don't usually pick up but I was 

waiting for a call so I did.  When they said which button to pick to talk w/ someone I did it. Lady on 

the phone wanted to help me.. how much do you owe?  I told her $34,000... (not true) and she said

give me your card numbers and we will help you lower that amount.  So I said, sure, hold on I will 

get my cards.  Got back on the phone and said, "oh, there is a note in my wallet, from my son, MOM

we have cancelled your cards because you weren't paying your bills, call me if you need anything"

Oh dear she said, and hung up.  I bet I was taken off her list.   ;-)   I don't even feel badly that I lied

about the note. ;-)

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 9 (1,418 Views)

These days the issue of trust must be earned. A lot of the rewards of money schemes are known. I personally just don't even open unknown mail or phone calls. I am quite sure that if you are actually a winner of funds that you will be notified in a professional manner. I avoid the unopened emails by being aware of any communication I have had via computer. If you have not filled out a form of some nature then how could you be selected as a winner? And thank God for the scam mail feature on my phone. Think twice, if you must, to be on top of prize and scammers tricks but using caution. I realize their forms of trickery can be sneaky therefore you must be a bit of a detective. Often times your first instincts is your best decision maker. Trust yourself but earn the trust of others. Period

Sincerely, Deborah

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 9 (2,168 Views)

"...Watch out. Received an email with the following message:

"Publishers clearing house sweepstakes draw worth $1,000,000.00 has been released for your claim....".

Thanks for reminder. This scam has been around at least 5 years, but lives on.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 9 (2,206 Views)

Watch out.

Received an email with the following message:

"Publishers clearing house sweepstakes draw worth $1,000,000.00 has been released for your claim, you are requested to send your response to our fiduciary agent via (debholland0237@gmail.com) to process your claims."

Sent a reply.  Recieved a second email with instructions not to tell anyone and directions to contact a company that would deliver the prize.  Sent a reply.  Received a third email requesting several hundred dollars for fees to deliver the prize.  

Forwarded all three to spam@uce.gov.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 9 (3,182 Views)

The three most attention getting words are prize, free, and sex!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Watch Out for Prize Scams

Message 9 of 9 (4,174 Views)

There are plenty of reputable contests and sweepstakes out there (including some from AARP). But there are also a lot of bad players looking to bilk you out of your money.

How it Works... You’re told you’ve won a prize but:

• You have to pay a fee to collect your winnings;
  • You have to wire money to a well-known company to insure delivery of the prize;
  • You have to deposit a check they have sent you;
  • Your notice was mailed by bulk rate; or
  • You have to attend a sales meeting to win.

What You Should Know...

You can’t win a contest you didn’t enter. Don’t believe claims that you were automatically entered.

What You Should Do...

• Be vigilant. The Federal Trade Commission recommends looking up a contest or promoter in a search engine with the words “scam” or “complaint”.
  • Warn others. If you think you’ve been targeted by a prize scam, report it at www.ftc.gov/complaint and share on the Fraud Watch Network scam-tracking map.