AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Top Robocall Scams of 2016

Message 21 of 31 (5,856 Views)

My son and i have gotten these calls too. One on home phone and the other on his cell.  I called on this and the Irs said they dont do phone calls only paper mail.  

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 31 (7,071 Views)
We have gotten several of these also, some of which do sound threatening. If I hadn't been informed I might have been alarmed. I'm glad this is getting attention.
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 31 (6,991 Views)

Ive

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 31 (6,863 Views)

got one the other day. Caller ID said peerless network. Said they were from Internal Revenue Service and had filed a lawsuit against me. Gave num

197310199. It was a recording. Have gotten several over last few months saying similar things from different numbers. Some were recorded others were people who could barely speak English. A couple were a bit threatening. I would be sorry if I didn't respond or I would suffer the consequences etc. I reported those to proper the authorities. 

Big scam!!!

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 31 (6,895 Views)

BRILLIANT! I love this idea of blowing a shrill whistle into the phone! I got to remember this!

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 31 (8,602 Views)

I hope AARP will work with FCC to find these culprits, especially the ones in the USA, and make it very, very costly to them.  They will not stop even though you tell them you do not need the service offered and that the unnecessary calls are distrubing sick people as well as care givers.  They don't care and will not remove your number.  Can't the phone companies detect when calls are sent this way and trace back to the originator?  I don't have caller ID(except on cell phone where I ignore if number is not identified) since we do not need the extra expense.  I have used a shrill whistle a few times.  

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 31 (9,540 Views)
If your phone service supports "simultaneous ringing", that is, incoming calls can be directed to other phones as well (like cell phone) this is a terrific service. (One ring and it hangs up the call, I don't even look up unless the phone rings more than once) The nomorobo website will tell you if your phone service supports it. (If it doesn't, consider changing carriers...)
Super Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 31 (9,577 Views)

Just sign up for nomorobo.  It's free and it works and has my endorsement.  Sign up now.  nomorobo.com

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 29 of 31 (9,151 Views)

ROBOCALL SCAMS & OTHER ROBOCALLS

Think it is time that the folks with the technical knowledge and skill present to the FCC and all concerned the technology that will enable the customer or the telephone service provider to block/stop Robocalls. In the interim of that happening, we have a rule in our house that is this "let it right 4 times, since after that it will go to voice mail, and if it is important they will leave a message." We have called ID on all our phones, so we can immediately check the number and if it is on our list of numbers that

we regularly use, we call back.  This has cut down on the number of ROBOCALLs significantly!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: New App Developed To Stop Robocalls

Message 30 of 31 (9,170 Views)

These guys won the FTC contest to invent something to stop robo-calls.

From the website of Clark Howard, the consumer guru.

Clark Howard: New App Developed To Stop Robocalls