ACA Open Enrollment Ends Today. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Top Robocall Scams of 2016

Message 1 of 31

I received the cruise scam call just a few days ago. The woman said I was on her list because I'd stayed "at their resort a while ago in Orlando." I never have.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 31

The folks who are doing the IRS scam are real creeps.  They prey on our fears of the IRS and best to hang up or let the FBI know about the voice mail.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 31

We've gotten many faux IRS scam calls (we screen via the answering machine) but two that we received this year pointed out how stupid people must think we are. The first was from someone claiming to be from the IRS who identified himself as (ready?) "Perry Mason". The second identified himself as "Steve Martin" (excuuuuuse me?) Reported both call back numbers to the IRS. Known scam numbers. ALWAYS be on your guard! (and have a sense of humor)

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 31

Or Jerry says hey give me your number and I will call you back!!

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 31

For some reason the news likes to report only the IRS scam.  There are other phone scams out there that are not getting enough or any attention.  There is not only the IRS scam and the bug in the computer scam but there is another one.  I received this scam.  It was a robo caller tape that said I could get a free cruise if I answered a few simple questions.  Again, I hung up the phone.  Later, I read in the USA Today newspaper that there is a scam going around offering a free cruise.  However, it says that the cruise is free but the dinner on the boat isn't.  Then they ask for your credit card number.  You won't receive the "free" cruise or the dinner.  The tape sounds real like all of the robo phone calls but it isn't.  BEWARE!!!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 31

I have switched to using my cell phone for my contact information so that for all calls that I do not recognize I can use the YouMail app to identify them as SPAM.  Using this appI have designated that all SPAM calls get the Number Disconnected tone and message.  Also, all blocked numbers calling me do not come through unless the person unblocks their number.  This has cut down on my spam calls tremendously!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 31

the best defense against robocalls is using NOMORobo.com and I have not had a robocall in six months after signing up.  the service is free!  The service only works on landlines not on cell phones.  But apple cell phones  have a provision to block individual call and it is very effective as well.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 31

Many of the phone numbers identified in caller ID have been hijacked through digital means.  They are not actually the numbers for the scammers who are calling. This makes it almost impossible to track where they are coming from.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 31

Dear ap45594389:

That is a good one!  Except, when I've received some bogus calls they have been tapes.  It might be fun to poke fun at them but it is best to just hang up the phone.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 31

I sometimes use the old Jerry Seinfeldt [spelling?] technique- answer the call, start talking show you are really interested- then say you have to go to the door and have them wait , and wait and wait...