Senate Unveils Health Bill — and It’s Bad.  Call Toll-Free 844-259-9351 to Urge Your Senator to Vote 'No'

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: 'Tis the season to protect yourself from holiday scams

Message 1 of 12 (1,153 Views)

@2Papa & @gvan - Actually, I think people fall for scams because they're hoping to get something that in reality they never could. Whether that's getting a lot of money, or having a very desireable person want them; it's like a "suspension of rational thought".

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Topics: 1,075
Kudos: 11,825

Message 2 of 12 (1,207 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - Yes, the man waiting for the box! No, I didn't watch the whole think, it just seemed too stupid to listen to the whole thing. I didn't even hear his answers about this woman's honesty .. but that would have had me changing channels ASAP too!

What was on the 1st day of the show .. another incredible story about someone being scammed?

No day one and two were both about this same man.  I did not see day two to see what happened.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

Message 3 of 12 (1,209 Views)
I think many people are taken advantage of because they don't read newspapers or watch the news. However, as unfortunate as it is, some people may have "short circuits" due to advanced age.
Super Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 12 (1,221 Views)

The reason people fall for these scams is, unfortunately, some folks just aren't "all there" for whatever the reason.  The scamsters know this and that is why they keep doing it.  They might have to attempt a scam a hundred or so times, but when someone finally falls for it..........Cha-Ching!

Message 5 of 12 (1,922 Views)

@nyadrn - Yes, the man waiting for the box! No, I didn't watch the whole think, it just seemed too stupid to listen to the whole thing. I didn't even hear his answers about this woman's honesty .. but that would have had me changing channels ASAP too!

What was on the 1st day of the show .. another incredible story about someone being scammed?

Topics: 1,075
Kudos: 11,825

Message 6 of 12 (1,928 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

The other day I was channel-surfing, and Dr. Phil had a man as his guest, who'd become involved with someone online, which was obviously one of those Nigerian scams (the woman actually was in Nigeria). I only watched a few minutes, but he seemed to be a normal, middle-aged guy, but spent thousands of $ "helping" this woman he'd never actually met.

Lynn - Why do you think - despite all the exposes of these sorts of scams all over the media - do people still fall for this BS? Even being garden-variety lonely or helpful doesn't mean that people totally turn off their common sense!

I saw the first day of the show, but missed the 2nd.  Do you know how it ended?

This man was a dentist  but his answers to some easy questions were weird.

Question  Why did you think she was honest...  She spoke French, she knew what a Canuck was.  What?   His total money sent was over a million in the hopes of receiving "the box" with millions of dollars and jewels.  Come on.    If you are that easy to "take"  you are gonna get taken.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Community Manager

Message 7 of 12 (1,981 Views)

Hello, @ASTRAEA, good question and I wish I knew the answer. This very question has stumped researchers and appears to have no bias against age, gender, or education level. Sadly it still happens and can bring damaging emotional and financial consequences.

Message 8 of 12 (1,993 Views)

@retiredtraveler - I can be lonely at times, now that I have no immediate family, and no other relatives nearby, and almost all my friends are married & busy with family. But I am super cautious with my money, and anyone mentioning their problems with a hint about needing help. I've also watched too much "Catfish" on MTV, to ever believe a cyber relationship is "real", unless you get to meet the person face-to-face within a few months. I wouldn't hesitate to find out as much as I could about a person online!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 12 (2,006 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Lynn - Why do you think - despite all the exposes of these sorts of scams all over the media - do people still fall for this BS? Even being garden-variety lonely or helpful doesn't mean that people totally turn off their common sense!

ASTRAEA that’s a great question.

Speaking as a non-professional I’d theorize that seniors who fall prey to these scams have the time and the money and unfortunately a reduction in brain function that causes a decline in their commonsense as they get older.

That’s not to say all seniors are like this. Most seniors are too busy with other activities to fall victim to these scams, or some are too broke to participate in these scams, but I think most seniors have the rational to ignore these scams.

We know very well what scams seniors fall for but we don’t understand why.

That’d be a good subject (attention Bob Love) for AARP to explore. Perhaps an article or two with a geriatric psychologist or psychiatrist to shed light on why we do what we do.

Dr. Phil is a professional so maybe he’ll have an opinion on why “seniors” fall prey to unscrupulous people. I don’t get a chance to watch much TV but I’ll be watching December 1.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 12 (2,019 Views)

"...Even being garden-variety lonely or helpful doesn't mean that people totally turn off their common sense!...".

It does in any number of cases. I just saw a story where two older women were picking out lonely guys and dating them, then dropping them. Of course, they dropped them after they had managed to get money, expensive jewelery, etc. from them. They had been running this scam for awhile. Not meaning to be insulting, but they were not the stereotype young, attractive types, luring men sexually. They knew how to play on emotion. A couple of the guys were interviewed and they almost stated directly that they essentially lost their common sense. They seemed, offhand, like 'with-it' people who had some modicum of education. They were just plain lonely.

I'm so fortunate that I'm not in that situation. I really can't imagine what it is like.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”