Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Conversationalist

Re: Those phone calls...........

Message 11 of 52 (3,083 Views)
We have had this same issue with callers from the IRS. It's a scam and we knew it. The threats are laughable when they state they will come to our place of employment to arrest us, we are both retired! These people will do anything to get money. We don't play along.
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 52 (2,071 Views)
I don't understand how staying on the phone could allow a caller to gain access to your computer. I've received calls from fake "Microsoft" people with Indian accents but I don't give them any information and hang up on the clowns. Can someone explain to me how these callers could get into your computer? Thanks.
Conversationalist

Message 13 of 52 (2,065 Views)
Thankfully my landline is included with the cable bill. We aren't charged for this so I keep the landline. Plus I agree that it could be a life saver in the event of having to contact 911. I like the comment from the person that they play with these callers. I hadn't thought of doing that but it's a great idea. Lately we are getting a lot of calls from phone numbers that we don't recognize. I used to pick up but there wasn't anyone on the line so I've stopped doing that. One call that I recently answered asked for me by my former name. When I asked what they wanted they said that they needed to confirm that they were speaking to Mrs. xxxx. I refused to respond and informed the caller that if they didn't tell me what they wanted I was going to hang up. Then I did just that. Annoying to be bothered by these!! I guess the best advice is to either not answer the phone or hang up on these jokers.
Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 14 of 52 (2,177 Views)

Unless you enjoy nuisance calls and paying two phone bills, you can eliminate the majority of the unwanted calls by giving up the landline.  Yes, 911 will be able to find you!  The chances of you not being able to tell them your location AND the 911 system failing to track you via GPS and/or tower location are so remote that you are probably more likely to be killed by a lightning strike. 

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 52 (2,228 Views)

1. Get Nomorobo service (free at nomorobo.com). Phone calls from charities and political organizations will still ring through, unfortunately.  

2. If your landline has a display, and you don't know the number, DON'T ANSWER IT! 

3. Bug the heck out of your government representative to do something about this annoying situation.

Unlisted numbers don't get you any relief from unwanted calls -- neither does signing up on the government's Do No Call List -- they are both useless.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 52 (2,227 Views)

Nomorobo.com only works if your phone carrier participates.  Unfortunately, not all of them do at this time.  We used to have one that did & it was great!  But when we switched carriers for our bundled cable/internet/phone service, the new one is not a participant so we lost the service, which was a bummer!

Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 52 (2,352 Views)

rcampos wrote:

Caution, if you ditch the landline and use cellphone to call 911, the call will go to the Highway Patrol.  They don't see your location on a cellphone.  The few minutes it takes to get you serviced and to your local assistance could be the difference between life and death.

We can't get rid of these people, so I like to play with them.  For example, I might answer with "Jones Cemetery, would you like to buy a plot"? Or, just Domino's Pizza, police; or when they ask for me by name, I say he's in prison for murder, or he's passed.

The last time I called 911 on my cell phone, it did not connect to the Highway Patrol, but to the same 911 dispatcher that handles landlines in my area.  Often, 911 dispatchers can track phones with GPS.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 52 (2,510 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 52 (2,812 Views)

Caution, if you ditch the landline and use cellphone to call 911, the call will go to the Highway Patrol.  They don't see your location on a cellphone.  The few minutes it takes to get you serviced and to your local assistance could be the difference between life and death.

We can't get rid of these people, so I like to play with them.  For example, I might answer with "Jones Cemetery, would you like to buy a plot"? Or, just Domino's Pizza, police; or when they ask for me by name, I say he's in prison for murder, or he's passed.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 20 of 52 (2,703 Views)

I think I've gotten every kind of scam there is.  When I got the one about being arrested in 20 minutes, it was kind of scary, even though I have a dog, and even though I knew it was a scam.  If someone came up to my door I think I'd freak out.  The first thing I did was call our Senior Center, to let them know about these calls, then I called the police.  If someone came to my door I would want the police there.  They gave me the number for my state's Attorney General.  I left a message, and I did get a return call.

Now I don't even answer calls I don't recognize.  My phone, internet and cable are through a package deal.  My computer guy tells me that if they can keep me on the phone they may be able to hack into my computer.  I have had a lot of spyware, malware, and viruses lately.  It may be fun to waste their time and mess with their head, but I don't advise it.

LJ - AARP Tax Aide, WY