Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Those phone calls...........

Message 21 of 52 (3,182 Views)
I just repeat every word they say, word for word...you know GIGO....they hang up real quick and don't call back.
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 52 (3,114 Views)
If I don't recognize a number on caller ID, I generally don't answer the call. If it's something important or legitimate, they will leave a voice message. One time I received a call from a number in California that kept calling my phone and never leaving a message. I got tired of hearing the phone ring so I decided to answer it. It was the "IRS". The caller (with a heavy middle eastern dialect) asked if I was "Miss Wright" (not my name, but I said yes that's me). She proceeded to tell me that I owed back taxes of $1,200 to the IRS and how I was going to pay it, etc. I knew it was a scam so I played along. I said all I have is $10 and she said if I didn't have the full amount in "x" hours, that a police officer will be coming to my home to handcuff and arrest me. Trying my darnedest to not start cracking up laughing, I was begging her to please not have me arrested because I had been sick, etc. After a few minutes of this ping ponging back and forth, I just hung up my phone and the same woman called me again, threatening me with being arrested. I hung up AGAIN and she called me again with a Texas phone number this time (Wow! What a fast traveler!). This time she tells me a policeman will be at my door in 20 minutes to arrest me. I hung up AGAIN and this time I started constantly calling both the California AND Texas phone numbers. The scammer started getting aggravated with ME and told me to stop calling them! I continued to call both numbers and then THEY blocked my number!!! I had a ball wasting this scammer's time; heck I'm retired! In all seriousness, the IRS will NOT call you if you owe back taxes or make threats to have you arrested. The IRS will notify you by mail ONLY if you owe taxes.
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 52 (3,411 Views)

See my answer above

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 52 (3,317 Views)

For most of the spam calls I get on my cell phone, they will come in spurts, maybe 6-10 in one day and none for several days. If I don't recognize the number I hit the ignore button. If the same number calls several times I put it on the blocked list. Now on our landline, we only have local service and an answering machine and no caller I.D. I love to play with the "Microsoft Windows security" fakes. I will act confused and say please come over to clean my windows and they keep trying to explain while I keep asking when they will be over to clean my windows .   The other day they called "I said yes I called because my storm windows were stuck and wouldn't open, the guy says "Oh" and then hung up. Last week when I answered I kept saying 10-9 when he would talk and he says "Is there anyone there that speaks english (this from a foreigner (india sounding), and I kept saying 10-9 and then he hung up. Now if they would call and say they are going to arrest me I would tell them, "Please do so, I need some medical or dental work done and hear that I can get it done free in jail" but I have only gotten that automated female voice. They probable realized that any sane person would realize the IRS isn't gonna have a bunch of foreign sounding people calling for them.

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 52 (3,373 Views)

I usually do the same. Just Screen them, if they really want to talk to me they will leave a message, but the ones that really get to me are those that say they are from the IRS. What do I do about them?

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 52 (3,682 Views)

Calls that keep coming and that I don't recognize, I report them to the Federal Trade Commission. I give them the number on my caller ID and explain the frequency of calls. Works great.

Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 27 of 52 (3,809 Views)

Well first I should mention that we still have a flip-phone (dumb phone) which we seldom use or leave turned on. It is primarily used as an emergency phone. A habit learned from 20 years in the Sierra Foothills with terrible cell reception.Smiley Wink

Our main phone is a landline attached to an answering machine. We let it screen all calls and only answer if it is someone we recognize. Most of the marketing calls seem to hang up when they recognize the machine.

We have been in our current home about 2 years and the number of calls has gone down to only a few per week. I think we have been taken off some of their call lists after several no answer attempts.

Unsophisticated, but it seems to be working for us.

Stuck in the 1990s! Smiley Very Happy

Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 52 (3,718 Views)

kelleywon wrote:
Or better yet skip the no thanks and just slam your finger down on that End button!

Great idea, but somehow not nearly as satisfying as slamming down the receiver on an old-fashioned phone.  My dad used to keep an air-horn by the phone.  I would imagine there are many deaf telemarketers as a result.

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 52 (3,486 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

I agree wholehardly with @ASTRAEA. In addition, in my state at least, you can report the offenders to the Attorney General's office. They will send an official document to the offending company regarding your complaint and requiring the offending company to respond to the complaint. Of course, at lot of times, you won't be able to determine the who, what, where, or why of the call coming to you.

I did read what the calls are that when you answer nothing is there, though. It is a robocall system that dials your number, not to sell you something, but just to see is SOMEONE EXISTS at that number. Then the number is either sold or used to make the annoying sales calls we all love.... like from Credit Card Services or Medicare Supplements or Security Systems.... and on and on.

By the way, the Do Not Call list only works for companies that abide by it. It is sorta like the argument about if we banned guns, only criminals would then have them.

One problem with reporting them to the Attorney General's office, or any other agency, is that they will never find the companies.  The vermin making these calls are usually overseas, and they either spoof the caller ID or change numbers and addresses more often than most people change their socks.

Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 52 (3,475 Views)

moose42 wrote:

I have only an android smart phone. I have a program from Cheetah Mobile (CM) Security AppLock Antivirus loaded that montiors all incoming calls. I can place that phone number in a call block file with one click and it will never be answered on my phone again. If I do not have the phone blocked, it will process the number against a cloud data file and alert you to several types of nuisance calls it could be if it has it on record. If the phone is in your contact file or not on record, the call comes thru. If it blocks the call it gives you a notifaction of number and time of call. The app is free and available in the Play Store

Finally, the voice of reason from somebody actually living in the 21st century.  Having a landline is like hanging a big sign on you that says "Please put me on your call list."  Smartphone apps (if needed.  Most phones allow you to block calls without installig apps) are plentiful and mostly free or very inexpensive.