AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 1 of 82
WELLS FARGO BANK ATM MALFUNCTION STEALS WELFARE AND DISABILITY MONEY ON 12/2/17! RENT IS NOW OVERDUE, FOOD CANNOT BE PURCHASED, WELLS FARGO HAS NOT RETURNED THE MONEY, NOR WILL THEY EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR ATM'S ERROR! Here are the details of Wells Fargo's responses: https://tcom10.wixsite.com/wfargonightmare https://twitter.com/Tcom08740 Please help by retweeeting so that others are made aware and are able to avoid this bank.
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 82

If you did not send them money, do not do anything. Block the call so they cannot contact you and change your e-mail account. If you sent them money, note the day amd time they called and try finding the phone number in your call history. You can ask your phone provider to help. Then, together with the address/way you sent them money, take the information to the police and file a complaint. The police department will guide you to how this complaint is handled.

Thanks for sharing.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 82

Name: Heather Johsonwall from Humanity of Empowerment, supposedly home office in VA.

Asked for name, date of birth, email, next of kin, place of employment...said she would help get me a Grant from Government, once she had all this information, she started asking for $1000.00 & up for FREE GRANTS. I couldn't find any legit information through BBB, & now I don't know what to do.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 82

Received a text message from "Chase Bank" telling me my debit card has been frozen due to suspicious activity and I should call a number listed to verify.

Called the number and got a response identical to the legit number.  When the electronic system asked for my SSN I hung up and called the number I had listed for Chase.

Got the same introduction and pressed 0 to get a human.

Explained what had just happened and discovered my Debit Card was not frozen and there had been no activity since the last transaction several days before.

At the suggestion of the Chase Rep I deleted the text message, did not record the requested phone number.

These scammers have duplicated the legitimate Chase phone protocol and are obviously phishing for SSN's.

DO NOT give your SSN to anyone that calls you.  Hang up and call a trusted number to verify who you are speaking to.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. Donation fraud.

Message 5 of 82

@abmicro839

Although the deductions are NOT tax deductible usually, sometimes news cast or local newspapers might run a story about a person or family who need a "hand up" and they or some other entity have established a GoFundMe account.

After checking out the story, people can make donations to these specific GoFundMe account.

This is just another way of helping a person or family - remember banks use to set up accounts for them where donations could be made.  This is just the 21st century way.

Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. Donation fraud.

Message 6 of 82

Watch out for fraudulent donation scams. You will hear or read about a tear jearking story on an online site to try to get you to donate. Sometimes it is via phone call. These scams run amuck after a disaster (like in Florida and Texas, and the recent California wildfires.)

Only donate to well established organizations like the Red Cross. OK, organizations have an administration expense, buy at least you know the donation will go to your cause and it is tax deductable.

Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. IRS scam.

Message 7 of 82

No end to the robocalls from the "IRS". Answering one of these robocalls will pass you to somebody with a foreign accent, usually from India, saying taxes are overdue and you owe money that must be paid immediately via western union, money order, or iTunes cards.

I sometimes call back and give them fake answers to waste the fraudsters time. They always hang up and dont call me for a long time after that.

Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. Craigslist

Message 8 of 82

No end to the Craigslist shipping scam. You sell something on craigslist. You get a buyer who will send you a money order for the goods.  (Money order will absolutely be fake.) A day or 2 later, he will ask you to western union some money so he can use his shipping company. Money order will bounce a few days later, but usually after the seller has already sent the fraudster some western union money.

Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? When I was single.

Message 9 of 82

Long time ago when I was single, went on a dating site and wrote to a gal and gave her my email contact. She sent a reply that looked fake, so I replied that it was fraud and please dont send me any more emails. I continued to get an email every month as if I had replied to all her messages in a positive way. Each message had a little more info about "her" with a new picture of "her". The final email asked me to western union some money to help "her" buy an airline ticket to meet me.

Clearly the emails were sent in automatically every month and the listing probably wasnt even a woman. Singles beware. The worst scams are on the online singles sites.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 82

@se5769

Always remember this:

Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to. The 'S' at the end of HTTPS stands for 'Secure'. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted. HTTPS is often used to protect highly confidential online transactions like online banking and online shopping order forms.

Web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome also display a padlock icon in the address bar to visually indicate that a HTTPS connection is in effect.

https://www.instantssl.com/ssl-certificate-products/https.html

You should be able to check this BEFORE entering any sensitive info.