Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 51 of 62 (2,606 Views)

If I am near the phone and the caller ID shows a number that is not familiar, I will either let it ring until the my automatic voice answering kicks in and tells them to leave a message if the call is important. That usually results in no messages. Also, at times I will answer the phone saying (Name of a made up Company) and saying "How may I direct your call"??.....that so far has stopped whoever is calling immediately and the line goes dead. Calls to my number have been cut in half now for sure.

Info Seeker

Message 52 of 62 (2,670 Views)

There are so many scams out there I just stopped answering my phone if it was not a number that I am familiar with. My son in law was called by someone who said they were from the IRS I told him it was a scam because I had read about such scams on AARP so my son in law hung up on them. These people are very clever or so they think they called him several more times from different numbers. 

If these people used as much energy working a real job what a world this would be.

Info Seeker

Message 53 of 62 (6,318 Views)

Computer internet problems may be of our own making.   When you contact a computer service over the internet and then by phone you just put yourself in the trap.  Then they want permission to install software on your computer so they can "FIX" it.  They show your problem and they need your credit card for a minimal charge.   Now you set your self up for the "FIX" not your computer but YOU and your credit card.   Next they will have you sign the monitor on the line and you just signed a contract,  Little did you know that you may not be able to disable or uninstall the software they installed.   You will be called from area codes you do not recognize because they are coming from other countries.  They will tell you "Your computer has a problem and we need to "FIX" it.   What are they doing?   Copying your data and email addresses.    Sound impossible?   No!  It cost me months of time and money, change email accounts, financial accounts, passwords and loss of friends because of junk sent to them.    Trust only someone you know personally to help you.

Info Seeker

Message 54 of 62 (6,507 Views)

BEWARE. If you sold something on eBay, beware of ALL eMails from somebody who says he is the guy who bought your item on eBay, and wants it shipped to a different address than what the order says on Paypal. It is a SCAM to rob you of that product.

First of all, the shipping address he will give you will be a ship forwarding company, to ship forward the your box to an unknown address outside of the USA where there is no legal recourse and no way to catch and arrest the perpetrator. BEWARE.

Info Seeker

Message 55 of 62 (6,683 Views)

BEWARE of MIAMI. Dont use a debit card with pin in MIAMI. 8 years ago, I went to Miami for some PRP injections on my knee and some needed rest. Went shopping on the Miami boardwalk and bought some clothes using my debit card. Came home, and a week later, my debit card was charged $1400 for womens shoes in some scuzzy high crime mall 20 miles away.

I am a guy, so it should have been clear to the bank that it was fraud. I buy mens clothing, not womens. Also, I was home in Los Angeles when the charges happened. Dont know how they got my pin. Filed police report, filed fraud report, but still took 2 months to get my money back from the bank.

Info Seeker

Message 56 of 62 (7,034 Views)

The IRS scam. Phone call from a guy with an Indian accent. Threatened to come to my house with handcuffs if I didnt pay. Immediately knew it was a scam. Let him talk and gave him bogus answers for about 10 minutes untill he got frustrated and hung up the phone. After that, I blocked the number. 

Week later, got another call from an IRS scammer, similar Indian accent, but from a different number. Did same thing. After giving bogus info, he got frustrated and hung up. Never got another call.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 57 of 62 (7,602 Views)

@retiredtraveler - Everyone once in a while I see such terrible stories about intra-family fighting, underhanded dealings, people saying they've been taken advantage of by some well-known institution, I do wonder if it's legitimate, someone who's just amused getting people to respond to help them, or some type of scam. I've seen other posters really come down hard on them, as if they're positive it's a scam, but I would hesitate to do that because a) I'm not positive, b) maybe they do have some mental issues .. who am I to judge?! If it really sounds questionable, I'll report the post so AARP can investigate!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 62 (7,634 Views)

"...It looked legitimate, but the dates were off.  I decided it must have been a "phishing" attempt or an older poster with dementia.   I reinforced advice which had been previously given.  It was about Chase Bank.  What do you think?  Real or scam?...".

I saw that. I thought the whole thing was made up, but of course, have no idea what the truth is.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 59 of 62 (7,652 Views)

I've posted a couple of times that I've had calls from the (alleged) IRS stating that I owed back taxes and would face serious consequences, possibly jail, if I did not call the number they provided. 

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Community Manager

[ Edited ]
Message 60 of 62 (7,215 Views)

Hello, @Prosecco6247, thank you, yes, we do share information and stories with our Fraud Watch Network colleagues. If you like, you can share this number and suggest the other person contact the AARP Foundation Fraud Fighter Center at 1-877-908-3360. Thanks for looking out for others in our Online Community!