Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 1 of 62 (70 Views)
so sorry - my best friend fell for it too. glad you know now, and don't be ashamed, I'm just glad they didn't get you in deeper. They have my mom for 40,000$ of her retirement and are trying to get to $77000 more. She still doesn't think it's a scam. We're stepping up to help. She isn't going to like it.
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 62 (87 Views)

I hate to admit this to anybody.  I made my hubby promise that he wouldn't even tell our grown Children!!!  I am not a dumb person but these scammers got me not once but twice.  Smiley Sad  Smiley Sad  It all started when I got this warning page that my computer had been hacked.  It had MICROSOFT stating that DON'T shut down my computer and call this phone number immediately.  Which I did.  I called the number and a man answered my call.  He got into my computer and showed me where it supposable had been hacked!!  Of course, if I wanted my computer fixed I would have to pay 249.00 for cleaning it all up and they would keep an eye on it to make sure no one hacked it!!  So I used my debit card and paid the amount.  It took them or they pretended that they worked on my computer like 6 hours. Everything was hunky dory!!  Ok, then I was told that I was scammed.by my hubby but I denied to the end.  Then came the WORSE SCAM at all.  Again they tried a different way, and yes I fell for it again.  But, luckily I couldn't  get into my account at the bank.  I think someone was looking out for me.  If I would have listened to that voice of reasoning everything would be great!!  But...I fell for it again!!!  They ask me to go to Walmart and get ITUNE cards in the amount of 300.00 I DID what I was told all the time my hubby telling me it was a scam!! Nope, it couldn't be again.  I did finally GET IT!!!  After costing myself a ton of money that we could not afford.  But...if one person is saved then I will be alright.  By the way, if MICROSOFT is really hacked they will not put anything on your computer, they will shut it down.  Then you will call them to find out why it isn't working. Also, I still get calls every once and awhile but not many since I learned how to block a number and got my phone number added to a DON'T CALL number.  I would like to wish I had learned my lesson the first time but...I can say I HAVE DEFINITELY learned it now!!  Be on guard at all times.  It just might save you from being so ashamed about being not tricked one time but to get tricked the second time!!  

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 62 (113 Views)

barbarav8009 wrote:

I just feel I want to share this.l recently fell for a scam for face creams to make me look younger of course.  This one used Joanna Gaines saying she was leaving her successful show on HGTV to sell this face cream full time. Other tv people have been used in similar ads.  The fine print says they will send you more face cream every 15 days at a very expensive price until you cancel... but the first supply is free of course!!!.I'm not sure the cream is very good?  maybe it is but it is also very costly compared to what I was using.  When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??

The link below will allow you to down load a sample complaint letter from the federal trade commission.  Use the letter template and ask for a refund. There are no guarantees but it doesn’t cost anything to try.

If the company made deceptive claims about the product it’s possible the FTC would consider that an actionable cause and could pursue a lawsuit against the company.

You’ll just have to visit the web site and decide if you have a reasonable complaint against the company.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0008-getting-your-money-back

You might also contact the consumer protection division of the Attorney Generals office of your state to see if there might be other complaints about the business practices of this company.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 62 (165 Views)

"... When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??...".

Can't you dispute this with your credit card company? It's a publicized scam. But the other part of this is not simply falling for a scam. You purchased something that was expensive without doing any research. You can go online, or  possibly read in Consumer Reports at a library, articles about how face creams work, what might be best for you, compare prices.

It sounds like your issue is not doing due diligence. You'll continue 'falling' for this kind of thing unless you educate yourself. DW and I do not purchase anything without trying to find out something about the product first.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 62 (192 Views)

I just feel I want to share this.l recently fell for a scam for face creams to make me look younger of course.  This one used Joanna Gaines saying she was leaving her successful show on HGTV to sell this face cream full time. Other tv people have been used in similar ads.  The fine print says they will send you more face cream every 15 days at a very expensive price until you cancel... but the first supply is free of course!!!.I'm not sure the cream is very good?  maybe it is but it is also very costly compared to what I was using.  When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 62 (228 Views)

I just recieved a phone call from PCH, almost word for word as this one. They said they were from Jamaica NY.  They said they would be at my house within the hour to get my share of the taxes.  I told them to get a real job, and the cops will be waiting for them when they get here.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 62 (276 Views)

Yes those are scams and I am not sure if that is what people attempt to do when they reply to the listing on Craigslist and say you need to contact someone else that wants to buy the advertised item at a certain email address but I believe those are never or rarely ever a real buyer so my advice is to ignore any of those responses. That is what I have done and not sure what the intentions of those people are but it is one part of what is driving many people to not use Craigslist anymore, especially since Facebook has sale groups and the marketplace feature. That is what we tend to use for buying or selling anymore without issues so far, however, if you use that it's a good idea to check how long someone either selling or buying has had the profile because fake profiles usually aren't going to be very old or if you can see it (depending on privacy settings) have much for posts, friends, etc.  

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 62 (288 Views)

A message appeared on my computer saying I had multiple viruses on my mac and needed to download their program NOW. Of course I didn't but I couldn't get away from them.  Their address is  US.dolor774KV.pw       I rebooted the computer but still couldn't get rid of it.  No matter what I typed it returned back to the fraudster.  So, as a last resort I typed "fcc.gov" and pressed enter.  Amazing that all of the fraudster and their web site VANISHED. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 62 (303 Views)

"...A month ago I got a letter invitng me to  work for an "IBM-USPS" project...".

That scam has been around at least 7-8 years. All one has to do is search online to find out if what you suspect is a scam has been reported before.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 62 (322 Views)

A month ago I got a letter invitng me to  work for an "IBM-USPS" project. The come-on was I would get $15 every time I mailed a package into a designated mailbox in my city for this project. Got suspicious when I googled the address of their office which was in Springfield, Virginia business area. IBM had an office there too according to my research.  Letter instructed me to call them at a 1-800 telephone number. I did not call the number because I suspected that their modus operandi was to ask for my SSN and other pertinent info so that they can mail a check when I finished the alleged job they want me to do.  I wondeer if they sent letter to everyone or just to seniors?