The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

[ Edited ]
Message 21 of 79 (724 Views)

"... When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??...".

Can't you dispute this with your credit card company? It's a publicized scam. But the other part of this is not simply falling for a scam. You purchased something that was expensive without doing any research. You can go online, or  possibly read in Consumer Reports at a library, articles about how face creams work, what might be best for you, compare prices.

It sounds like your issue is not doing due diligence. You'll continue 'falling' for this kind of thing unless you educate yourself. DW and I do not purchase anything without trying to find out something about the product first.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 79 (652 Views)

I just feel I want to share this.l recently fell for a scam for face creams to make me look younger of course.  This one used Joanna Gaines saying she was leaving her successful show on HGTV to sell this face cream full time. Other tv people have been used in similar ads.  The fine print says they will send you more face cream every 15 days at a very expensive price until you cancel... but the first supply is free of course!!!.I'm not sure the cream is very good?  maybe it is but it is also very costly compared to what I was using.  When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 79 (681 Views)

I just recieved a phone call from PCH, almost word for word as this one. They said they were from Jamaica NY.  They said they would be at my house within the hour to get my share of the taxes.  I told them to get a real job, and the cops will be waiting for them when they get here.

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 79 (711 Views)

Yes those are scams and I am not sure if that is what people attempt to do when they reply to the listing on Craigslist and say you need to contact someone else that wants to buy the advertised item at a certain email address but I believe those are never or rarely ever a real buyer so my advice is to ignore any of those responses. That is what I have done and not sure what the intentions of those people are but it is one part of what is driving many people to not use Craigslist anymore, especially since Facebook has sale groups and the marketplace feature. That is what we tend to use for buying or selling anymore without issues so far, however, if you use that it's a good idea to check how long someone either selling or buying has had the profile because fake profiles usually aren't going to be very old or if you can see it (depending on privacy settings) have much for posts, friends, etc.  

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 79 (690 Views)

A message appeared on my computer saying I had multiple viruses on my mac and needed to download their program NOW. Of course I didn't but I couldn't get away from them.  Their address is  US.dolor774KV.pw       I rebooted the computer but still couldn't get rid of it.  No matter what I typed it returned back to the fraudster.  So, as a last resort I typed "fcc.gov" and pressed enter.  Amazing that all of the fraudster and their web site VANISHED. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 79 (678 Views)

"...A month ago I got a letter invitng me to  work for an "IBM-USPS" project...".

That scam has been around at least 7-8 years. All one has to do is search online to find out if what you suspect is a scam has been reported before.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 27 of 79 (672 Views)

A month ago I got a letter invitng me to  work for an "IBM-USPS" project. The come-on was I would get $15 every time I mailed a package into a designated mailbox in my city for this project. Got suspicious when I googled the address of their office which was in Springfield, Virginia business area. IBM had an office there too according to my research.  Letter instructed me to call them at a 1-800 telephone number. I did not call the number because I suspected that their modus operandi was to ask for my SSN and other pertinent info so that they can mail a check when I finished the alleged job they want me to do.  I wondeer if they sent letter to everyone or just to seniors?

Conversationalist

Message 28 of 79 (608 Views)

I sign up with Care for some part time work. I get many strange requests from people claiming to be out of town that want to send me a weeks pay advance to watch their children. Yet they haven't even met me. In some of them, they wanted to send me an over paymet that I was to send to some body. It always came by text message. Every time I called the number it wouldn't work. Be careful.

Conversationalist

Message 29 of 79 (604 Views)

The other day my cell phone rang and a recorded message came on claiming I can lower my credit card interest rate to 6%. I was suspicious but thought I'd see what it was about. When an Indian accent answered the phone I became increasingly more suspicious. When I asked which credit card is this for, he immediately hung up. He didn't know what credit card I had. He was calling to get one.

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 79 (595 Views)

Selling on Craigslist. If you try and sell an item on Craigslist you are likely to get emails or text messages first asking a few simple questions about the item and then claiming they want to buy the item right away but pay with paypal or a cashiers  check because they are out of town or state. These are all scams either they will send a fradulent email claiming that a paypal payment for $400 over your selling price is ready to be claimed just send $400 to release the Paypal payment. (email is not from paypal) or they will send you a cashiers check including an over payment for shipment. They say they will wait on it to be deposited before they ask you to ship them the product. Then they say they changed their mind and will pick the item up and ask you to refund the shipping price. The cashiers check will eventually bounce. Requiring in person pick up and payment in cash will thwart these kinds of scams however they still steal from you by wasting your time..