Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Spotted a scam?  Tell us about it.  Our scam-tracking map gives you information about the latest scams targeting people in your state.  You’ll also find first-hand accounts from scam-spotters who are sharing their experiences so you know how to protect yourself and your family. Go to the Scam-Taking Map>>

Contributor

People are signing up to play on Words with Friends and then once you start a game with them they try to chat you up and ask for money.  so sad even fun is not safe 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I received three calls in the last two days from this number 315-660-6998. It is a recorded message and goes like this( this is officer so in so and you are listed in a lawsuit with the IRS and to call that same number back to prevent this from going to court) and the call ends. You try calling the number back and is been busy. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I suspect an e-mail request to receive my order from #amazon.com is a ploy to invite a virus into my computer. I will not open it / them (I get one every week). First of all, I have not ordered anything from Amazon. Secondly, this is not Amazon's contact address. It is HASHTAG-amazon.com, a clever way to open an e-mail account that might fool the greedy, unwary soul on the consumer side of the net. Don't fall for it. Any similar address is not kosher, and should be treated as suspicious. Don't even open them. DELETE immediately. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have received so many phone calls from across the US leaving me voicemails threatening me about my IRS debt and that if I don't call them back,  I will have legal consequences.  In the first place, if you owe the IRS anything you will receive a notice by mail and in order to verify it you give them a call, which I know that mostly everyone knows their number. I have sent these numbers messages stating that unless they want to be on Amercan Greed, they need to stop scamming people.  I also have been getting messages on my computer about viruses.  I made the mistake of calling them a few times, but since I am on a limited budget I told them that I couldn't afford what they were asking. After that experience, I reset my computer a couple of times and I just shut it off when I get a message like that.  It seems to me that they target older people and if you don't have anyone to warn you or if you aren't up-to-date on these scams you will be scammed.  You also need to watch out for those phone calls telling you that you have won a sweepstakes. Don't fall for these calls.  There are too many scammers out there that want to get easy money from anybody. I just don't answer the phone when I see an unknown number, especially when you see some from out of the country, ex: India, Egypt, England.Africa,etc.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Be very careful if you get a "prize that requires taxes paid" or a variation on the "grandparent scam". The "tech support" scam is equally deadly. They all pre-position you for more intensive scamming.
Don't engage, just hang up. Engaging with them puts you on a sucker list for the money laundering "Jamaica scam".
My mother has dementia and was targeted in part because she thought she'd be clever and out talk the scammers before they hit.
She's lost thousands of dollars and can't be convinced it's not legal. 5 years ago she would have caught it.
Don't talk to them. Block the number if you can. Report it to you state AG.

And... please have the "living will/power of attorney" conversation with your loved ones. Fixing a scam when there's dementia involved will cost you or your loved ones about $10,000 in attorney fees, and hours of heartbreak. (Ask how I know. Never mind,  you get the picture.)

If you don't have older family members - be kind to your kids. Have the conversation.

If you are alone... make sure you ask your doctor to pay attention to the "post 65 mini cogs" and set up a living will for yourself so YOU will be safe from YOU if it comes to that.

With love and tears... K

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just recieved a call from "Eric" (heavy accent) who claimed my name was one of 1500 people chosen to receive $9000 grant from the US Federal Gov"t Grant Dept. It is a free drawing and people who have no criminal background and no bankruptcy.  He gave me a Grant Confirmation code and a call back phone # which I needed to write down both. He asked me how I would like to receive my money and he listed cash/check Walmart gift cards and other options but I couldn't understand what he said.

He started to verify name and address and that was when I hung up.  I just decided no more info. He didn't get to any account numbers or c/c#'s.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I got hooked into the scam where you get a big message on your computer screen allegedly from Microsoft saying your system is messed up and call the number on the screen. I was having problems with my computer so called the number. Some guy said he was with Microsoft and would fix my computer and for X dollars (I'm too ashamed to say how much) could set me up on a maintenance plan. I got suckered in!! I scanned and e mailed a check!! The good news is I woke up in the middle of the night and thought what have I done??? I went on line with my credit union and put a stop payment on the check! Thank god!! Got numerous calls from these bozos, 800 number of course, demanding money. I told them to put it all in writing -- that was the end of that! Called Microsoft who assured me they NEVER send messages like I got and that they get several calls every day from people like me. Close call!! Beware.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I made the mistake of clicking on a story.  Within moments I had a full screen message from Microsoft that my computer had been shut down and I was instructed not to shut it down.   That message tipped me off that this was either an invasion or a scam.   I am glad this happen to my desk top computer and not on my laptop.   I pressed the reset button and the computer responded with the normal screen and the internet was off.   I use a software to clean all the cookies and other stuff and then shut the computer down.   I waited at least ten minutes before turning the computer on again.   I then ran a scan with the antivirus software and the computer was clean.    This procedure may not be approved but it worked.   Now I will install Windows 10 Pro as an upgrade from Windows 7 Professional.  

0 Kudos

There is a phone scam going around in Pa and I'm sure other states also.They call to tell you your warranty is getting ready to expire on your vehicle and you can extend it for x amount.Don't fall for this scam.They called and told my B-I-L that his 1986 vehicle warranty was running out ,oops ,caught.I'm also going to notify the FBI of this scam.

Contributor

I am a 70 (+) year old senior who lives in the Los Angeles, California area. A scammer persistently sent notices to tell me the car warranty for my 2004 vehicle was expiring several years in a row.  The notices were sent via USPS. They persisted despite my reply that my car warranty duration was for FIVE years and I was not interested in an extension. This happened several years ago.  I dont recall if I reported the company.  The notices finally stopped.

0 Kudos
Contributor

On social media it had been advertised a "free $50 ghft card " from Lowes for Mothers Day!! People are terrible!!!

Super Contributor

Invite all the FBI,IRS and similar types over to your house.  Just say your 3 German Shepherds don't like strangers.

Everyone! There is someone here on facebook that is hacking accounts and messaging that a friend just won $100,000 and my name is next on the list. Then they send a link to contact them to get my money. Sounds like an email scam to me. I called the friend and they didn't know anything about it of course. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.! Be sure to block and report them.

Below is a copy of the messeges...

You're friends on Facebook
Tue 2:27am
How are you doing?
Tue 6:20am
Good morning Nancy. I am well. Hope u r too.
Tue 12:00pm
I'm doing fine and good,I was just wondering if you have heard about the good news?
What good news is that?
I'm so happy i got $100,000.00 from The
Department of health and human service,deliver to me by UPS at my door step.They are helping the old,retired,disabled,employed and unemployed in the society,do you get yours too from them?
Tue 3:36pm
No, the young 20 something, black couple just next door go .39 cents. I suppose that was supposed to be mine.
Tue 5:07pm
I believe you should have gotten your money by now because i saw your name when my money was deliver to me,are you sure you dont get any notification about it
Nancy
Nancy called you.
Tuesday 5:10pm

Well congratulations on your new wealth. Nancy, I am less than decent for a video call.
Thanks.I guess what you have to do now is contact Daniel Robinson on his Facebook page now to get your money,that was who i also contacted for my money.do you know him ?
Sorry I do not know him.
Oh wait let me get you his page link to contact him now.
Anyway Nancy, I wanted to say that I had a wonderful time at the dance the other day. I didn't know you were such a good dancer.
Warning
This attachment could not be loaded.
Click on this link it will lead you to his page,add him up and message him that you want to know if your name still on the winners list.
I will check with him shortly. But I am headed out to the Log Cabin Meeting. Are you going to be there?
No,Let me know whatever you get from him. Best of luck
Chat Conversation End

0 Kudos

I think that's not true about what Nancy talking about cause there are so many scam on Facebook like that talking about you won a 100,000 and asking you to send money 4 the cause to the ups men to deliver it and when you send that then they ask for more for insurance fee when you pay then they come up with something else that a scam cause you never get the package it's a fraud don't fall for that 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Here is one that came to me via email.....what a stupid thing to send anyone!

"

""Your order on Delta.com website is now complete and your credit card has been charged.

Your flight number , seat number and other important details can be found on your ticket, below:

https://www.delta.com/orders/viewTi cketOnline.do?name=xxxxxxxxxx&flight_no=NY1182812134< /span>

To check your flight status , please visit : http://www.delta.com/flightinfo/viewFlightStatusSetup

You can do the check-in online, here: https: //www.delta.com/PCCOciWeb/findBy.action 

Thank you for flying with us

©2017 Delta Air Lines, Inc.    |   Travel may be on other airlines.
Terms and conditions apply to all offers and SkyMiles benefits. See specific offer for details, and visit SkyMiles Membership Guide & Program Rules""

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

A few years back I received a letter in the mail from AT&T. Official looking letterhead with AT&T symbol. Letter instructed me to call regarding a problem with my account.

Something about that letter just didn't seem right. I contacted AT&T through their website. They had no knowledge of any such letter and the name on the letter was not listed as an employee.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Screenshot_20170416-165556.png

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Although probably not considered a scam, but legalized thieves, property management companies should be looked at with a magnifying glass.   Their billing or accounting system lacks up to date or real-time information.  They are always attempting to enforce late fees on bills that have been paid in advance.  In addition to increasing maintenance fees every year, and not working on improving and/or completing projects and hoping that owners will take it upon themselves to do. 

0 Kudos

I have subscribed to a adult dating site called "Ourtime" and have learned to spot men who are scammers who post a fake profile!    Here are s few clues to help you spot a scammer and protect yourself emotionally and perhaps financially.

1.  Most pictures ate very basic and don't include a recognizable background. I.e. Very generic and not recognizeable senery.

2.   Gritty or small pictures.  Also lack pictures that include family and friends.  The pictures can also look like a "catalog" picture. Very posed and polished...appears "not real".

3.   These potential suitors are Widowed.

4.   They have 1 child.

5.    Highly Educated.

6.    Income $100,000. To $150,000.

7.    Very secure and "open to the finding 

Love of his life" ...and his last kiss".

8.    Wants to communicate off the dating 

Site.  Wants your phone number to 

Text or your email address to

Communicate.

9.    Will not talk on the phone....

10.  Always busy or distracted...slow to 

Text, odd hours of texting.   Late 

At night or early in the morning.

11.   Never wants to talk on the phone.

12.  Texting has a lot of errors in 

Grammar. A highly educated person

Who can't spell and Brocken words.

13.    Inconsistencies in messages.  A 

Change in personal stories.

14.    Highlight his/her profile messsage

Copy first 109 words and out it into

Google Search.    You will see that    

Words on the profile are listed as

"Scammer".  (I found 20 men same

Thing in their profile".  Most have    

Warnings.

15.    No Facebook profile, no last name,

No phone calls, inconsistency!   

16.     They say that they are soon going 

To be off the site and need your 

Personal contact info.

i hope this info helps you recognize a scammer.   I can see it immediately and it is very scary on home many ate out their.

These scammers want something g from you.  The want to get into your email and onto your personal info yo get into your banking info and hack your accounts.

Hope this info was helpful and you will protect yourself.  There are real people looking for a relationship...but you need to see how they communicate and respond in your communication!   😊

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just feel I want to share this.l recently fell for a scam for face creams to make me look younger of course.  This one used Joanna Gaines saying she was leaving her successful show on HGTV to sell this face cream full time. Other tv people have been used in similar ads.  The fine print says they will send you more face cream every 15 days at a very expensive price until you cancel... but the first supply is free of course!!!.I'm not sure the cream is very good?  maybe it is but it is also very costly compared to what I was using.  When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@barbarav8009 wrote:

I just feel I want to share this.l recently fell for a scam for face creams to make me look younger of course.  This one used Joanna Gaines saying she was leaving her successful show on HGTV to sell this face cream full time. Other tv people have been used in similar ads.  The fine print says they will send you more face cream every 15 days at a very expensive price until you cancel... but the first supply is free of course!!!.I'm not sure the cream is very good?  maybe it is but it is also very costly compared to what I was using.  When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??

The link below will allow you to down load a sample complaint letter from the federal trade commission.  Use the letter template and ask for a refund. There are no guarantees but it doesn’t cost anything to try.

If the company made deceptive claims about the product it’s possible the FTC would consider that an actionable cause and could pursue a lawsuit against the company.

You’ll just have to visit the web site and decide if you have a reasonable complaint against the company.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0008-getting-your-money-back

You might also contact the consumer protection division of the Attorney Generals office of your state to see if there might be other complaints about the business practices of this company.

Do not feel bad about this one. I did not see the fine print either. I was supposed to be getting free samples. I got super lucky. When they tried to charge my account, my bank asked me if i made the purchase. And since I made no purchase, I said no and the bank stopped the charges. I really love my bank!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"... When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??...".

Can't you dispute this with your credit card company? It's a publicized scam. But the other part of this is not simply falling for a scam. You purchased something that was expensive without doing any research. You can go online, or  possibly read in Consumer Reports at a library, articles about how face creams work, what might be best for you, compare prices.

It sounds like your issue is not doing due diligence. You'll continue 'falling' for this kind of thing unless you educate yourself. DW and I do not purchase anything without trying to find out something about the product first.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Periodic Contributor

When a call comes in that I do not recognize, I answer and if someone that I never want to hear from again, I block the caller . 

I just received the "Oh Grandma, Help me, I am in trouble" call and since I will never be a Grandma, I gave the young man a reprimanding then blocked call.

Contributor

Mostly I get the "Indian-accented" guy who says my computer has a virus and he will be happy to fix it. I just laught at him and he hangs up.  My mother fell for this twice until I finally convinced her it was a scam.  She was out $400.

Social Butterfly

@JME and @mg91626868

Another comment on ear-piercing noises over the phone...

Agree with JME.

That "whistle" into the phone tactic or the use of a "canned air horn" often results in something called "acute acoustic trauma."  No matter how annoying scam phone calls may be, who really wants to perpetrate a possible lifelong hearing issue on another person as payback?  Hanging up is the simplest remedy and call-blocking, if it's available to you, is the most effective.

Depending on the type person who made the call in the first place, you could end up on the receiving end of just such a call!  Revenge is a powerful motivator for some.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Possibly the best cure-all is keep a handy whistle next to your phone.  "Hey, I was calling to scam this guy and he broke my ear drum."

0 Kudos
Contributor

Unfortunately doing that also hurts my ears.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This happened recently! A pop up on my computer said I had a virus and to call a number on the screen immediately. I did and the fellow said he was with Microsoft and proceeded to hard sell me on a product to protect all my devices. I'm embarrassed to say I fell for the pitch. Woke up at 3 am thinking oh my god, what have I done. Fortunately my credit union has on line access and I put a stop payment on the check I'd written. Called Microsoft in the morning and the tech said he got several calls every day regarding this particular scam, that Microsoft never communicates in this manner! Thank goodness I caught myself in time! Beware!! 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Same thing happened to me.  Makes me cringe just to think about it.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP