How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 41 of 69 (1,338 Views)

A few years back I received a letter in the mail from AT&T. Official looking letterhead with AT&T symbol. Letter instructed me to call regarding a problem with my account.

Something about that letter just didn't seem right. I contacted AT&T through their website. They had no knowledge of any such letter and the name on the letter was not listed as an employee.

Info Seeker

Message 42 of 69 (1,362 Views)
You know, I read your post on the "can you hear me?" thing. Today I listened to myself responding to the conversation on the phone. The "YES" answer is a common thing, and if they wanted to, they can get it out of you easily, at any time. Phone rings: "Hello?" "Is xxxxx your name?" "Yes" Phone rings: "Hello?" "Are you above the age of 50?" "Yes" Pretty much any positive question will result in a "YES" response.
Info Seeker

This is a MAJOR SCAM AND RIP OFF!!!!!

Message 43 of 69 (1,375 Views)

Screenshot_20170416-165556.png

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 69 (1,254 Views)

Although probably not considered a scam, but legalized thieves, property management companies should be looked at with a magnifying glass.   Their billing or accounting system lacks up to date or real-time information.  They are always attempting to enforce late fees on bills that have been paid in advance.  In addition to increasing maintenance fees every year, and not working on improving and/or completing projects and hoping that owners will take it upon themselves to do. 

Info Seeker

Message 45 of 69 (1,274 Views)

I have subscribed to a adult dating site called "Ourtime" and have learned to spot men who are scammers who post a fake profile!    Here are s few clues to help you spot a scammer and protect yourself emotionally and perhaps financially.

1.  Most pictures ate very basic and don't include a recognizable background. I.e. Very generic and not recognizeable senery.

2.   Gritty or small pictures.  Also lack pictures that include family and friends.  The pictures can also look like a "catalog" picture. Very posed and polished...appears "not real".

3.   These potential suitors are Widowed.

4.   They have 1 child.

5.    Highly Educated.

6.    Income $100,000. To $150,000.

7.    Very secure and "open to the finding 

Love of his life" ...and his last kiss".

8.    Wants to communicate off the dating 

Site.  Wants your phone number to 

Text or your email address to

Communicate.

9.    Will not talk on the phone....

10.  Always busy or distracted...slow to 

Text, odd hours of texting.   Late 

At night or early in the morning.

11.   Never wants to talk on the phone.

12.  Texting has a lot of errors in 

Grammar. A highly educated person

Who can't spell and Brocken words.

13.    Inconsistencies in messages.  A 

Change in personal stories.

14.    Highlight his/her profile messsage

Copy first 109 words and out it into

Google Search.    You will see that    

Words on the profile are listed as

"Scammer".  (I found 20 men same

Thing in their profile".  Most have    

Warnings.

15.    No Facebook profile, no last name,

No phone calls, inconsistency!   

16.     They say that they are soon going 

To be off the site and need your 

Personal contact info.

i hope this info helps you recognize a scammer.   I can see it immediately and it is very scary on home many ate out their.

These scammers want something g from you.  The want to get into your email and onto your personal info yo get into your banking info and hack your accounts.

Hope this info was helpful and you will protect yourself.  There are real people looking for a relationship...but you need to see how they communicate and respond in your communication!   😊

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 46 of 69 (1,278 Views)

@JME and @mg91626868

Another comment on ear-piercing noises over the phone...

Agree with JME.

That "whistle" into the phone tactic or the use of a "canned air horn" often results in something called "acute acoustic trauma."  No matter how annoying scam phone calls may be, who really wants to perpetrate a possible lifelong hearing issue on another person as payback?  Hanging up is the simplest remedy and call-blocking, if it's available to you, is the most effective.

Depending on the type person who made the call in the first place, you could end up on the receiving end of just such a call!  Revenge is a powerful motivator for some.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Info Seeker

Message 47 of 69 (1,277 Views)

When a call comes in that I do not recognize, I answer and if someone that I never want to hear from again, I block the caller . 

I just received the "Oh Grandma, Help me, I am in trouble" call and since I will never be a Grandma, I gave the young man a reprimanding then blocked call.

JME
Info Seeker

Message 48 of 69 (1,296 Views)
Unfortunately doing that also hurts my ears.
JME
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 49 of 69 (1,296 Views)

Mostly I get the "Indian-accented" guy who says my computer has a virus and he will be happy to fix it. I just laught at him and he hangs up.  My mother fell for this twice until I finally convinced her it was a scam.  She was out $400.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 50 of 69 (1,213 Views)

Same thing happened to me.  Makes me cringe just to think about it.