AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 61 of 69 (6,888 Views)

BEWARE. If you sold something on eBay, beware of ALL eMails from somebody who says he is the guy who bought your item on eBay, and wants it shipped to a different address than what the order says on Paypal. It is a SCAM to rob you of that product.

First of all, the shipping address he will give you will be a ship forwarding company, to ship forward the your box to an unknown address outside of the USA where there is no legal recourse and no way to catch and arrest the perpetrator. BEWARE.

Info Seeker

Message 62 of 69 (7,152 Views)

BEWARE of MIAMI. Dont use a debit card with pin in MIAMI. 8 years ago, I went to Miami for some PRP injections on my knee and some needed rest. Went shopping on the Miami boardwalk and bought some clothes using my debit card. Came home, and a week later, my debit card was charged $1400 for womens shoes in some scuzzy high crime mall 20 miles away.

I am a guy, so it should have been clear to the bank that it was fraud. I buy mens clothing, not womens. Also, I was home in Los Angeles when the charges happened. Dont know how they got my pin. Filed police report, filed fraud report, but still took 2 months to get my money back from the bank.

Info Seeker

Message 63 of 69 (7,513 Views)

The IRS scam. Phone call from a guy with an Indian accent. Threatened to come to my house with handcuffs if I didnt pay. Immediately knew it was a scam. Let him talk and gave him bogus answers for about 10 minutes untill he got frustrated and hung up the phone. After that, I blocked the number. 

Week later, got another call from an IRS scammer, similar Indian accent, but from a different number. Did same thing. After giving bogus info, he got frustrated and hung up. Never got another call.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 64 of 69 (8,077 Views)

@retiredtraveler - Everyone once in a while I see such terrible stories about intra-family fighting, underhanded dealings, people saying they've been taken advantage of by some well-known institution, I do wonder if it's legitimate, someone who's just amused getting people to respond to help them, or some type of scam. I've seen other posters really come down hard on them, as if they're positive it's a scam, but I would hesitate to do that because a) I'm not positive, b) maybe they do have some mental issues .. who am I to judge?! If it really sounds questionable, I'll report the post so AARP can investigate!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 65 of 69 (8,043 Views)

"...It looked legitimate, but the dates were off.  I decided it must have been a "phishing" attempt or an older poster with dementia.   I reinforced advice which had been previously given.  It was about Chase Bank.  What do you think?  Real or scam?...".

I saw that. I thought the whole thing was made up, but of course, have no idea what the truth is.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 66 of 69 (8,025 Views)

I've posted a couple of times that I've had calls from the (alleged) IRS stating that I owed back taxes and would face serious consequences, possibly jail, if I did not call the number they provided. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Community Manager

[ Edited ]
Message 67 of 69 (7,561 Views)

Hello, @Prosecco6247, thank you, yes, we do share information and stories with our Fraud Watch Network colleagues. If you like, you can share this number and suggest the other person contact the AARP Foundation Fraud Fighter Center at 1-877-908-3360. Thanks for looking out for others in our Online Community!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 68 of 69 (6,944 Views)

I am curious if you  keep records about scam attempts on the pages of AARP discussion forums?  There for a while, there were many romance scammers working the pages of AARP discussion forums and sending PMs wanting to "get to know you better."  They've been quiet for some time now, but recently I've heard of an uptick in the numbers elsewhere, Facebook, for example.

I responded this morning to a poster on another thread here who seemed to have an urgent need for advice .  It looked legitimate, but the dates were off.  I decided it must have been a "phishing" attempt or an older poster with dementia.   I reinforced advice which had been previously given.  It was about Chase Bank.  What do you think?  Real or scam?

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Community Manager

Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 69 of 69 (6,889 Views)

Spotted a scam?  Tell us about it.  Our scam-tracking map gives you information about the latest scams targeting people in your state.  You’ll also find first-hand accounts from scam-spotters who are sharing their experiences so you know how to protect yourself and your family. Go to the Scam-Taking Map>>