Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Same Membership, Different Prices

Message 1 of 15

I was told on the phone that the prices vary, but you can keep calling to see if a deal has come up.

So, your mileage will vary.

I was quoted $49 for five year, $82 for ten year, and $xxx (can't remember) for lifetime. I was told I called at a good time during good deals (which is either true because I found the renewal prices fine, or maybe it was to get me to pick one.)

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 15

Staying Sharp is separate from the AARP membership.  It's a series of exercises to help you to improve brain health. Dues for Staying Sharp do not include AARP membership dues, from what I've been able to determine. But I'm not entirely sure about the whole Staying Sharp thing.

I was just now quoted current AARP dues:  $63.00 for five years (a 21% savings over our one-year rate), $43.00 for three years (a 10% savings), or $16.00 for one year.

If you are currently a member of AARP, log into your Account page. There is a "Chat Now" link on the lower right hand side. They may be able to answer your questions better than I can.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 15
What is a "Stay Sharp" membership? Can someone tell me how much you were quoted for a 10 year membership? And the lowest I've seen for 5 year is $49 - did anyone get a lower offer?
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 15

Thanks for your reply, imseeker. It's interesting to know that I'm not the only one who got this offer. Like you, my membership is not expiring soon, so I have some time to gather more information.

I had been hoping for a response from AARPLynne, or one of the other Community Managers. It would be helpful to get some official AARP feedback on this.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 15

I did get this mailing, my membership doesn't expire for a year.

I called the number that was listed below in this thread, and was told the mailing was legit, and yes, had to be paid by check or money order.

I asked about other offers - and was told there is a 5 year, 10 year, and lifetime option.

I asked about "best rates" and decided on a 10 year renewal - that I could pay via credit card over the phone.

So, although the mailing is legit, I tossed it into the trash, but yeah - if you like the offer, it appears fine.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 15

Yesterday, I received an offer in the mail for AARP membership renewal of 5 years for $49. This "Special Offer" requires that I send payment with check or money order. Reply by 12/18/17. This special offer does not appear anywhere online. Nor is it mentioned on my AARP membership page.

After reading some of the previoius comments regarding this special offer (particularly about not receiving renewal for the full 5 years), I am a bit leery about the legitimacy of this offer.

Did anybody else receive this offer in the mail, and did it work? Community Manager responses also welcome.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 15

sorry - I threw it in the bin

Community Manager

Message 8 of 15

Hello, @RKauders, thank you for your post. By any chance do you still have a copy of the mailing? With that in hand, would you please call us toll-free at 1-888-687-2277 so an AARP customer service agent can help resolve the matter for you. Thanks.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 15

I received membership renewal form in the mail. One of the renewal choices was to login. The instructions "forced" me to advise my account which I found on my AARP Card. Lo and behold membership still had 2 more years before it expired!

Thank You AARP!

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 15

Same situation here!  Renewed for five years prior to the expiration of membership in October 2014.  Got cards that expire in March, 2018 rather than October 2019.  Cannot get any response regarding this from anyone despite repeated inquiries.  Frustrating to say the least!