Tune into AARP’s Facebook Live Resume Q&A Wednesday, 4 p.m. EDT | Facebook.com/AARP

Info Seeker

Re: Rural Electric Co-op Scam

Message 11 of 16 (1,838 Views)

No-mo-robo is great.  However, I moved and my new phone provider does not participate.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 12 of 16 (1,811 Views)

Certainly Electrical Co. Scams,Offering A Reduced Rate.  IRS Scams ( " You Owe And Your Local Law Enforcement Agency Will Be Arresting You If This Amount Isn't Paid). IRS Would Never Call A Citizen With This Statement,Seniors Would Get Upset And Give Banking Information.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 16 (1,696 Views)

Just one word: NOMOROBO. This free service will prevent virtually all solication calls. I've used for a couple years and it seems to be over 99% accurate in blocking unwanted calls, including Scammers.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 16 (2,351 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

I don't really get these scams; surely people know if they're paid their bills, or are in arrears .. or is the a function of people setting up automatic payments, and then not paying attention, so if they get a phone call, they just assume the payment system screwed up & they DO owe money. Why do they tell the caller they'll "handle it themselves", then either access the company website or call the phone number on their utility bill, and get the status of their account right from the horse's mouth?!

@ASTRAEA Yeah, I wonder why people are tricked into paying money they do not owe myself. I am guessing (without any real knowledge on the matter) that out here there are enough folks who are paying only a portion of their bill, or who are behind, that the scammers make money. Possibly folks are surprised enough about the call that they get confused about their payment history. I really don't know. 

There is an auto payment function and one can receive email notification that the payment went through. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 16 (1,897 Views)

I don't really get these scams; surely people know if they've paid their bills, or are in arrears .. or is the a function of people setting up automatic payments, and then not paying attention, so if they get a phone call, they just assume the payment system screwed up & they DO owe money. Why do they tell the caller they'll "handle it themselves", then either access the company website or call the phone number on their utility bill, and get the status of their account right from the horse's mouth?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Rural Electric Co-op Scam

Message 16 of 16 (1,903 Views)

This particular notification is written to Coloradans, however, as we have seen before, scammers often choose a region only to move to another when the scam is either discovered or is no longer working. So if you are in a rural electric co-op, please be aware. Here's the notice from this month's local REA magazine:

"Several electric co-ops in Colorado were notified that scammers are calling their members and threatening to turn off their electricity unless payment is made over the phone or the member purchases a debit card and sends it in. Your electric co-op would not ask you to pay a past-due bill over the phone or rquire you to purchase a debit card. Hang up and contact your local co-op immediately if you receive one of these calls."

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving