How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Telephone Scam is no Joke

Message 1 of 16 (7 Views)

I GOT A RADIOSHACK DUOFONE 20 YEARS AGO, NO CALLER ID NEEDED. WITH  A AT&T ANSWER MACHINE AND A UNLISTED NUMBER. I LET IT RING 4 TIMES AND WAIT UNTILL I HEAR WHO IT IS. A SCAM CALL WILL BARK THE FIRST TIME AND WITH THE ANSWER THAY STOP TRYING. WITH SMART PHONES A PROGRAM CALL SHOULD I ANSWER WILL LET YOU RATE THE CALL AND SET UP BLOCKED CALLERS. DON'T LET THESE SCAMS GET TO YOUCat Frustrated

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: Rural Electric Co-op Scam

Message 2 of 16 (138 Views)

We've had a couple of calls from "the computer company" - 'course they didn't know what computer I have!  Recently had the "Gramma" call, which I'd picked in a back room where I didn't have caller ID. How did I know it was the scam? Well, for one thing, I don't have any grandkids! Sadly, my otherwise intelligent brother and sister in law fell for the 'missed court appearance call' and shelled out $1k to the 'sheriff'.

Our home phone is unlisted, which we pay an extra charge for, and I now have caller ID on all our phones.  I, too, put unfamiliar numbers on call block. Curious, why did a dozen Medicare supplement companies have my home phone number?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 16 (282 Views)

Sad The Times We're Living In.

Scams,Fraud And Fake News!!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 16 (303 Views)

Hi, 

I just now read your response and that was the action that we always took.... But now I have to think twice about not answering my phone.

Normally if the number that shows up is not in my contact list or from our state area code I don't answer it, but scammers now use area codes from the area they are calling.

Last year and to be exact I will always remember that date July 28, 2016 I received a phone call on my cell.  The number had our area code but my husband and I didn't recognize it so I didn't answer it.  Thirty minutes later I received another phone call different number, I didn't answer it again.  It turns out that they were phone calls from paramedics and or the police.  Our son was in a motorcycle accident and they were trying to call us on the way to the hospital.  We found this out because they then called our other son and he did answer the phone and then he called us.

I never answer out of state calls but I am selective... a guessing game.  I received another call and luckly I answered it, it was the police calling me this time it was my brother-in-law that was in an accident.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 16 (843 Views)
Yes, we have Time Warner and they include Nomorobo as a free option and the amount of Telemarketers & people just wanting to scam us has been reduced. I am so glad Nomorobo exists. They have an IPhone version but you need to subscribe. I will be doing that ASAP, I'm getting ROBO calls and it doesn't matter if you block the number, I tried calling back the number that called me and found out it was not in service..... Scammers are always trying something new!
Conversationalist

Message 6 of 16 (868 Views)

We got so sick & tired of all the Telemarketers & people just wanting to scam us, that we decided to not answer any calls unless we know the number. Then, all the ringing of the phone drove us bonkers. Somehow, my husband found this site : nomorobo.com. Our phone company was on the list. What a relief now.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 7 of 16 (1,033 Views)

Why do you assume seniors would get upset and provide banking information? Maybe if the senior was senile.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 16 (1,151 Views)

Unfortunately Some Seniors Don't Have Caller ID,And Are Drawn Into Scams.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 16 (1,213 Views)

@creekerken - Not all of us get many solitications by phone, so there's no need to pay extra for a caller ID display or the monthly service.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 16 (1,272 Views)

Why don't more people take advantage of the best thing the phone company came up with since the phone and that is "Caller ID"?  I have received so many calls that "Do Not Call" hasn't stopped and if I don't know the number I don't answer it or I hit Talk and then End/Off.  If someone is calling me for something they will leave a message and when I don't get a message I put that number on "Block".  I now have 48 numbers blocked and what a difference in the ringing phone.  Now I am only getting ligit calls and occasionally one of those scammers will change their number and it goes right to "Block".  If you don't have a phone that will block calls, upgrade.  Thanks Caller ID.