AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Info Seeker

Re: REWARDS FOR GOOD PROGRAM IS SUCH A FARCE

Message 1 of 8 (1,117 Views)
if you dont like the site dont use it
Renee Taylor
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8 (1,174 Views)

Well there is a bit of good news this morning: while the daily tasks are still missing and the recipe search still refuses to award points, not only are the still-there monthly tasks working (not, I note, the English BMI calculator) but it appears many of the one-time quizzes have been reset and are awarding points.

I say appears because at 450+ points a pop I quickly ran up my allowable daily point earning limit, so cannot verify my assumption. However, every one I tried gave points before I reached my limit.

And there's this: three times I was forced to solve a captcha puzzle in order to get my points. I'm thinking this means they are taking steps to rid R4G of fraud. Hurrah to that sez me!

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Silver Conversationalist

Message 3 of 8 (3,632 Views)

And why is it a farce?  Because the Reward for Goods program is plagued with unethical practices such as AARP employees profiting from it.. That last auction you lost, you may have lost it to someone who was both an AARP employee and an AARP member! 

It is very sad that AARP has taken the unethical position of allowing AARP employees who are also AARP members to profit off the very program they are maintaining for regular AARP members. Yes an "AARP employee/member" is at an unfair advantage over regular AARP members: as an AARP employee they will have easy access to what items to bid on, inside information to quickly acquire points and a faster network connection that will enable them to bid faster than regular AARP members.  And no AARP employees do not need to profit off this program in order to better provide tech or phone support for the program, anyone with a tech support background knows this.

Most companys that have rewards programs have ethical guidelines that greatly limit or forbid their own employees from profiting off these programs and auditing procedures to guarantee that these guidelines are being met.  Furthermore, many companies have completely separate employee rewards and bonus systems in place to prevent the unethical temptation for employee profiteering that AARP employees are engaged in. 

If AARP is going to allow this unethical behavior to continue then in the bidding history for each auction AARP must disclose which bids were placed by a regular AARP member or an "AARP employee/member."  For every auction winner AARP should come clean and disclose if the auction winner was a regular AARP member or an "AARP employee/member."  And again it would be best if AARP took the moral high ground and discontinued the unethical practice of allowing AARP employees to profit from this program.

Failure for AARP's Rewards For Good program to abide by common business ethics, including limiting employee profiteering, and program compliance auditing will result in fewer regular AARP members particpation because honestly who wants to participate in a system that is rigged by the very people who are entrusted to manage it?  

-------------------------------------------------------

This was cross posted to SCAM & FRAUD area after a recent post where AARPTeri, Community Manager admitted that AARP Employees were participating in and profiting off of the Rewards for Good program in competition with regular AARP members. You can see the original post here:  AARP employees involved in Rewards For Good Auctions

I firmly believe that AARP must address this unethical profiteering by its own employees and that all AARP members should be made aware that they are competing in auctions against AARP employees who are seeking to profit off the very program they should be safeguarding. 

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 8 (3,758 Views)

I am sorry you've had such a bad experience with the Rewards for Good program. That sucks both for you and for AARP, because one assumes the point is to give you something you want and to make you a happier customer in the process. Clearly that ain't happening.

I've had good experiences and thought if I shared my R4G use habits it might give you fresh ideas on how to get value from the program.

Background:

In less than 3 years I have accumulated 500,000 points. I've spent around 50,000 points. Daily I have worked available quizzes, searches, et cetera. 

Restaurants:

We do not eat out. Very rarely, perhaps twice a month, but in general we eat at home because it is far cheaper and we have far better control over content. That said, please note that I wouldn't eat at the restaurants offering deals on this site if they were giving me a free meal. But, you know, that's me: total food snob and health nut. Smiley Happy 

Merchandise:

And I'm looking ahead to living in an RV on the road for a few years fresh out of the retirement gate, so I am just not interested in filling closets and shelves with things, thus don't even look at most the merchandise offered on the site. Besides, I'm a minimalist at heart.

Gift Cards:

But I do buy gift cards. I've found value in Apple, Lands' End, LL Bean, Jiffy Lube, Gap, Zappos, and other gift cards. These generally offer at least 10% discount, for items I intend to buy anyway. (And of course I do use other coupons and shop sales, so generally net greater savings than 10%.)

Travel:

I have used the bulk of those 50,000 rewards points for travel. Hotel rooms, car rental, airline tickets.  I always shop around when booking travel accommodations and find AARP's discounts to be worthwhile.

Daily Deals:

Once or twice I have spent points on the daily deal, but only after searching the web to learn about the brand and the going everyday price. The items I've purchased (exercise equipment, ceramic coated saute pans) have been fine quality and dirt cheap. Still, most of the daily deal items fall under the 'future garage sale item' category for me.

Those are my happy thoughts; here now my less jubliant observations:

Auctions: 

Oh please, those are clearly being manipulated by someone with the ability to create points without having to click on the mind-numbingly dull and way too often frustrating daily activities. (800,000 points for a $100 gas card? Are you kidding me?) I steer clear of the auctions as they are clearly a waste of time. (Having said that: if the auctions were fair, I'd probably have less than 300,000 points right now. I would so go for fair priced gas cards! But forget the auctions; those things are apparently corrupted. Blame the Russians. Smiley Happy)

Sweepstakes:

Ugh, another waste of resources. Twice I have been interested enough in the prize that I actually spent points on entries. What a dummy. I don't do that anymore, despite it being such a low point cost because, it is basically just a waste of time and points.

Customer Service:

But the customer service is hands down the worst. The manner in which they answered you here is the same level of attention they pay one over the phone. I don't even call them when tasks malfunction (like the recipe search is today) because you get the runaround and talked down to and eventually they will send in a ticket to whomever they send tickets to and in a few days you'll get an email akin to the answer you received here. Another big waste of time, and a super frustrating one at that.

So I muddle along, racking up points for the coming transition years, hoping to use them to outfit my future RV and nomadic lifestyle. Smiley Happy

No idea if any of this helps, but I hope it does.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 8 (3,791 Views)

AARPTeri wrote:

@nctarheel and @NOTHAPPENING

Thank you for being a valued Rewards for Good participant. We really appreciate the time you both ook to post about the program. Please know that we are working every day to continually make improvements to the program. Our team makes every effort to keep our local offers/coupons updated, we apologize for any negative experience you may have had redeeming your coupon.  Please contact our Customer Care team to have any points you redeemed for those offers returned back to your account at 1-866-451-6305 Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET, and on Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET.

Rewards for Good’s mission is to help enrich the lives of our members by awarding free points for completing engaging activities including educational quizzes and tools. Those points can then be used towards items in the rewards catalog. Check out other fun ways to use your points such as sweepstakes, magazines and merchandise. Power Play Auctions are a fun and easy way to use your points toward free gift cards. These auctions only last for 15 to 60 minutes so it ensures that the points needed are relatively low. Power Play Auctions are running every Wednesday from noon to 5pm ET during the remainder of December. Power Plays may also pop up on the site at any time as a surprise!

Rewards for Good Team

I am sorry that you have responded with a "canned" response to my post about this program.

I thought I had made it clear that I thought this program to be a farce, that better discounts can be garnered from other sources, that I don't use the program, that I care less about my worthless points, and that the catalog was bloated by repeat locations of the same company and yet; I am being thanked as a "VALUED REWARDS FOR GOOD PARTICIPANT". This means that my post wasn't really read.

The point of my post was that I am not a participant. The point of my post was that I don't care about the points so telling me to call customer care to get points returned to my account also means that my post wasn't really read.

I don't know about others experiences but I attempted to bid at the auctions; I would see my bid be the highest during the process, but I have never, and I mean never .....won an auction.

Merchandise.... come on now..... there are retailers on your site like Jos. A. Banks that have promos like buy one, get two free etc., etc, etc. and what is at your site?.... 40% off (the worst promo that they run).

Community Manager

Message 6 of 8 (3,804 Views)

@nctarheel and @NOTHAPPENING

Thank you for being a valued Rewards for Good participant. We really appreciate the time you both ook to post about the program. Please know that we are working every day to continually make improvements to the program. Our team makes every effort to keep our local offers/coupons updated, we apologize for any negative experience you may have had redeeming your coupon.  Please contact our Customer Care team to have any points you redeemed for those offers returned back to your account at 1-866-451-6305 Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET, and on Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET.

Rewards for Good’s mission is to help enrich the lives of our members by awarding free points for completing engaging activities including educational quizzes and tools. Those points can then be used towards items in the rewards catalog. Check out other fun ways to use your points such as sweepstakes, magazines and merchandise. Power Play Auctions are a fun and easy way to use your points toward free gift cards. These auctions only last for 15 to 60 minutes so it ensures that the points needed are relatively low. Power Play Auctions are running every Wednesday from noon to 5pm ET during the remainder of December. Power Plays may also pop up on the site at any time as a surprise!

Rewards for Good Team

AARPTeri
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8 (3,809 Views)

I agree, the program is a scam.  Trying to turn in points is futile since you can get better breaks anywhere (without points).  I even offered my 70,000+ points to one poster looking to get more (for whatever) except AARP said they couldn't give my points to the poster.

Valued Social Butterfly

REWARDS FOR GOOD PROGRAM IS SUCH A FARCE

Message 8 of 8 (3,831 Views)

I have accumulated, over time, almost 90,000 points. I don't play any of the games, do any of the puzzles, read any of the articles, etc. etc. etc that earns you additional points because the points are worthless.

I have visited the "Rewards For Good" website about every six months to see if things had changed for the better, remained the same, or gotten worse and I am sorry to report, they are much worse.

First and foremost, many, if not most of the coupons for restaurants and retailers can be garnered from multiple other resources. These resources are plentiful, costs you NO points, and are generally the same as the ones on this worthless site. For example, Michaels, a retailer that has a 40% off any regularly priced merchandise coupon for which you have to pay "points" to receive. YOU CAN GET 40% MICHAELS COUPONS ALMOST ANYWHERE!!!! Plus, Michaels takes competitor coupons which are sometimes better than 40%.

Restaurants are another situation altogether. I have gone to restaurants that refused to accept these coupons, I have gone to restaurants with coupon in hand only to find the restaurant having been closed for months(bankrupt), I have gone to restaurants where they wouldn't honor the full value of the coupons.

But AARP is responsible for the biggest hocus-pocus on this site. They make it look like there are hundreds of opportunities to use these coupons for restaurants until, at least for my area, you figure out 29 of the entries are for Dominoes Pizza and 12 are for Jack in the Box.

But the winner is in the retail shopping section where there is 11 pages of offerings in my area, seems like a lot, right?????

THAT IS UNTIL YOU FIGURE IN 95 SEPARATE ENTRIES FOR CIRCLE K FOR A FREE HOT DOG...... YUCK.

Don't waste your time on this program; they say it is award winning..... it ain't.