Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Potential Scam

I have an 90+ year old friend who recently advised me he would be selling some land he has to a neighbor.  The price is what my friend paid for it almost 50 years ago.  It seems to me that the neighbor is taking advantage of my friend.  I suggest to my friend to hold off on the sale, but he has gone through with it.

Any suggestions as to what I might be able to do?

Steve

Honored Social Butterfly

I frankly think that what your 90+ year old friend does is none of your business. You are assuming that the neighbor is taking advantage of your friend but that may not be the case. They may be friends themselves, even closer friends than you are. There could be a thousand reasons your friend gave his neighbor a good deal. Additionally, assuming that your friend has lost his faculties is also unfounded. The two men who head Berkshire Hathaway are both 90+ and still viewed as financial geniuses. Assuming that your friend needs protective services or assuming that the neighbor is committing fraud can also put you in legal jeopardy. 

Bronze Conversationalist

You could try contacting Adult Protective Services in your state or go to their website for more info. You can also try the U.S. Dept. of Justice's National Elder Fraud Hotline (833-372-8311) for advice, according to an article from 2022 on AARP's website. I'm not sure how much can be done seeing that the sale has already gone through but it's worth looking into for your elderly neighbor. It's very thoughtful of you to want to help your neighbor. I wish you both good luck.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP