Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Phone Scams

Message 1 of 6 (406 Views)

yes me and my wife have been gettingfraud phone calls during the day and night.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6 (1,169 Views)

de8960 wrote:

I will not talk to anyone about surveys, charities, or any thing else.  If I get a Robo call, which is illegal, it is an automatic red flag that it is a scam.  I hang up on on them.  I hang up on most everyone.  

@de8960 I got a huge belly laugh out of your last line. (Me, I usually just let the phone ring. I don't care who they are, if they knew me they'd email. Smiley Happy)

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 3 of 6 (1,177 Views)

I will not talk to anyone about surveys, charities, or any thing else.  If I get a Robo call, which is illegal, it is an automatic red flag that it is a scam.  I hang up on on them.  I hang up on most everyone.  

Message 4 of 6 (1,362 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

I have to ask. I thought caller id was pretty standard in that virtually everyone has it. Am I wrong? DW and I get at least 3-4 calls a day from unknown numbers. We don't pick them up. We look at the number on caller id and if we don't recognize it, we don't answer. Once in a while, it will be someone who has a number we don't know. If so, they will leave a message.

Do people not have caller id, or is there some compunction to pick up a ringing phone?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but we do not have caller ID. We have an unlisted phone and are on the do not call list, though. Our home phone rarely rings and when it does, unless I'm expecting a call, I ignore it. We've been working with Senior Games organizations in 7 states, so I thought perhaps there was an urgent development. Heh: no such luck.

I will say this, though: fraud prevention organizations apparently do not think caller ID is as pervasive as all that, for they instruct people to do exactly what I did. I've read that directive over and over again on this site as well as others. FWIW and all.  

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6 (1,373 Views)

I have to ask. I thought caller id was pretty standard in that virtually everyone has it. Am I wrong? DW and I get at least 3-4 calls a day from unknown numbers. We don't pick them up. We look at the number on caller id and if we don't recognize it, we don't answer. Once in a while, it will be someone who has a number we don't know. If so, they will leave a message.

Do people not have caller id, or is there some compunction to pick up a ringing phone?

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Phone Scams

Message 6 of 6 (1,397 Views)

So I just received a telephone call from a gentleman who claimed to be conducting a survey on behalf of our internet service provider.

I asked for his name and number so I could call him back, and he declined. ("Well, but I'll be on the phone all day", he said. "Hmpf", said I.)

I then contacted our ISP and they said they have no such ongoing survey and would never conduct a telephone survey. 

Now, maybe this is just a competitor looking to see how happy folks are out here in the boondocks or maybe this was a phishing operation.

The point is this: protect yourself.

If someone calls you from out of the blue, claiming to rep this, that or some other company with which you do business, be suspicious. Get their name and phone number before answering question one. Then call the company --NOT the phone number you were given by the caller-- and verify the legitimacy of the call.