Senate Unveils Health Bill — and It’s Bad.  Call Toll-Free 844-259-9351 to Urge Your Senator to Vote 'No'

Info Seeker

Re: Microsoft Tech Support Scam

Message 1 of 10 (360 Views)

Got a call from 800-518-0956. Call not answered but message on answering machine stated my Microsoft license key had expired and all Microsoft services will be stopped. Message further stated I had to call 800-518-0956 for reinstall. reported to 1-800-database.com Just another scam.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 10 (1,249 Views)

Like I have said before, I do have too much time on my hands but I really like the "short term memory loss" idea.

I don't know how many watch Jim Cramer on CNBC but he has a Sound Board he uses on the show, that has all types of sounds. There is a web site with his sound board on it.

I put the scammers "on hold" and while they are "waiting" for my return........ I bring up the sound board, increase my volume as high as it will go, and I play three sounds from the sound board........... a machine gun firing, a shotgun firing, and the sound of a medical monitor when someone flatlines.

They quickly get the idea that I don't appreciate their call and hang up.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 10 (2,633 Views)

I love your game-playing tactics with those scammers !  I heard of someone who had this type of call, & he pretended to have short-term memory loss, kept asking the caller to repeat

because he couldn't remember what was being discussed. This went on & on till the scammer hung up. Lets do this !  Woman LOL

Sandee2
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 10 (2,908 Views)

I have found that they get very frustrared and then finaly hang up when you ask to many dumb questions, like what is Microsoft...

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 10 (3,011 Views)

I also received one of them yesterday. I usually never answer call from number I don't recognize, but this time, those crooks use my brother's phone number! They might have spoofed the number. I never pick up those unfamiliar calls before this. I prefer to look up the number on Google or some sites like http://whycall.me to see if people have reported the number as scammers.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 10 (3,029 Views)

I kept hearing about this scam, but had never received a phone call from this scammer until yesterday.

However, I had no idea that this call came from them though, as the call was blocked and they weren't identified specifically on my Caller I.D. as being from this Microsoft scammer. It just came through as a "Wireless Caller."

As I mentioned, it was blocked anyway before I could even answer it, and that was fine by me. I don't answer any calls that I don't recognize, anyway. 

I almost wished that I could have answered this one in particular though, as I would have liked to have a bit of fun with it, too. I don't even use a Windows-based computer anymore. I use a Chromebook, which doesn't run off of Windows. Anyway, I would like to tell them some things about computers, just to have a little bit of fun!! Smiley LOL

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 10 (3,393 Views)

I've had 2 such calls on my cell phone saying that they detected a virus on my computer, and that they could help remove it. One was a woman and another a man who spoke broken English with an accent. I told them that I'd check it out myself and have my computer technician look into it. No doubt, it was a scam. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 10 (3,409 Views)

That's the way to go, frustrate them into submission instead of other way round, they shouldn't be allowed to get you off your own device, one should rather be the one to send them packing. Mostly perpeterated by people of India and Pakistani accent axis

Have learnt their tricks and usually identified them by their tongue including their unsolicited fraudulent mails. Just lead them on until they are worn out and abruptly bring their own ignoble one sided ill conversation to a failed crashed end  

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 10 (3,417 Views)

maryostrem wrote:

The AARP Bulletin arrived yesterday, and my husband and I read with interest the column about recent scams, so when an apparently overseas call came in this very afternoon starting off, "Hello, this is Microsoft tech support. We are calling to tell you that we have identified a virus attacking your computer..." the words were hardly out of the caller's mouth before my husband hung up the phone.

Thank you AARP for a very timely warning.

This scam is so old that it has grown whiskers.

Since I DON'T have anything Microsoft and I DO have too much time on my hands; I jerk these guys from India around when they call. I have probably gotten this scam call at least four times over the last couple of years.

I'll keep them on the phone, wasting their time, by playing stupid and asking inane questions. They finally get frustrated and hang up on me rather than me hanging up on them. I find it more satisfying to waste their time.

Info Seeker

Microsoft Tech Support Scam

Message 10 of 10 (3,420 Views)

The AARP Bulletin arrived yesterday, and my husband and I read with interest the column about recent scams, so when an apparently overseas call came in this very afternoon starting off, "Hello, this is Microsoft tech support. We are calling to tell you that we have identified a virus attacking your computer..." the words were hardly out of the caller's mouth before my husband hung up the phone.

Thank you AARP for a very timely warning.