Tune into AARP’s Facebook Live Resume Q&A Wednesday, 4 p.m. EDT | Facebook.com/AARP

Info Seeker

Re: IS THE "REWARDS FOR GOOD" PROGRAM STILL WORTHLESS?

Message 1 of 24 (749 Views)

You can get 20% off most cards elsewhere rather than just 5 or 10% savings through AARP. Shoot the sales tax here in Seattle is 10% so big woopy I save sales tax. I can do that by buying on amazon.com then get a discount on top of that. The people that they hire to get discounts for seniors using AARP should all be fired and send in some real negociators to get real deals. Too many seniors are getting swindled by AARP. The latest is 85% savings on some skin care, yeah right the crap did not sell so you are trying to pass off samples as some wonderful miracle cream.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 24 (751 Views)

To be blunt, YES the rewards program is useless junk. There are never any real deals just junk aimed at unsuspecting seniors. AARP is just a spam machine churning out crap and selling all thier customers names to low life sales companies. AARP must have some managers making alot of money to figure out how to sucker the senior population because they sure do nothing for the money I spend on membership. The only reason I have AARP is to use the Hartford insurance program. So as of the year 2017, AARP is scum soap!

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 24 (1,018 Views)

Mostly worthless, yes. Unless you know how to game the system, perhaps. There's a current bid in an auction that could only be reached if the person got RFG points every day for nearly 8 straight years, which doesn't happen, of course, so I wonder how they're pulling it off.
Some years ago I used points to get cards that give me 2 free days/nights at a hotel. Despite verifying that hotels have availability for the days and places I'm interested in, whenever I try to use them (repeatedly, at this point,) it claims "no hotels available." They have no expiration date, probably because they do nothing.
I did once have a buy one get one free dinner at a local restaurant with my husband, and I have a cheap magazine subscription. Hardly worth driving up AARP's website traffic for. You get better deals through Groupon, frankly.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 24 (3,001 Views)

lx2056 - So, if someone does everything possible every day for a year or more they may amass enough points to bid on a gas gift card worth $100.  $100 divided by 365 days (assuming that is enough days to accumulate that many points) comes to 27.4 cents a day for their time and effort (takes a fair amount of time to go through those calculators and other daily activities), and then there is still no assurance they will ever get that gift card.  Doesn't make sense, does it?  Plus, multiple people must have that many points in order to bid or the bids could not get that high.  There is still something not quite right with this picture. 

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 24 (3,307 Views)

barbkosm- Oh, I didn't comment on this part of your post:  "Also, if after 10 months someone was able to accumulate 180,000 points it would still take another 7-8 months to get over the 300,000 point level. "

That is just monthly calculator/promo/login points.

So adding other points in:

180,000 points of monthly calculator/promo/login pts (10 months worth)

+ 15,000 points in sign-up/subscription bonuses (from their first month)

+ 50,000 in quizzes

-----------------------------

245,000 total

Assuming you can get 100,000 in quizzes over 10 months:

180,000 points of monthly calculator/promo/login pts (10 months worth)

+ 15,000 points in sign-up/subscription bonuses (from their first month)

+ 100,000 in quizzes (over 10 months, because they change)

-----------------------------

295,000 total

Now that is closer to your 300,000 points.  The quiz total points is what I am unsure of, I haven't been around long enough.  Depending on how long the person has been active, when new quizzes are added, etc., they could have amassed more quiz points than are available today.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 24 (3,325 Views)

Thank you lx2056!

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 24 (3,365 Views)

barbkosm -

Daily calculator points:  207

Weekly calculator points (available each Sunday): 660

Monthly calculator points (available 1st of month): 5,775

Total per month = 5,775 + 660*5 + 207*30 = 15,285

Info Seeker +

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 24 (3,369 Views)

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 24 (3,373 Views)

lx2056,

Not sure how you are getting 500 points per day from the calculators.  That certainly would be helpful - any insights?  Also, if after 10 months someone was able to accumulate 180,000 points it would still take another 7-8 months to get over the 300,000 point level.  That would be a total of 18 months of daily logins and other stuff just to get enough points to bid on a $100 gift card that they might not even win.  Again, working for literally pennies per hour - something doesn't make sense.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 24 (3,406 Views)

I'm logged in every day and I only have 87,000 + that is with quizzes, and the other points. I guess I don't take advantage of things as much as other people do. Meh...Don't care cause I don't use the points anyway. Smiley Indifferent