Senate Unveils Health Bill — and It’s Bad.  Call Toll-Free 844-259-9351 to Urge Your Senator to Vote 'No'

Conversationalist

Re: Have you been scammed or have you spotted a scam?

Message 31 of 37 (1,799 Views)
These calls were also supposed to be from the IRS.
Conversationalist

Message 32 of 37 (1,661 Views)
I have received a few calls from a 505-258-6981 telephone number recently on more than one occasion. I will invite them to dinner on the next call!!!!
Info Seeker

Message 33 of 37 (1,688 Views)
We too received the IRS call with the threat of prosecution and jail if we did not call back. After approximately 3 months of those they stopped. Now we are receiving the calls about having to appear in front of a grand jury for some outstanding legal situation that I supposedly was involved with. They too stated that if I failed to call back the number the justice department would have me arrested. These just started and we proved that this too is a scam. They are just plan annoying.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 34 of 37 (1,760 Views)

@retiredtraveler - I recently posted that I attended a program on scams & frauds recently, and asked the expert if I "didn't meet some threshhold" or it was random, that so many other participants get calls like that regularly .. but I don't. He said it was just random, and that I should be grateful! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 37 (1,706 Views)

"...I've never even been e-mailed or phoned with a scam, but I'm not particularly susceptible either....".

You've missed the fun. We been called three times over the past several years and informed that if we didn't call the number back, which was the IRS, the black helicopters were coming and we were gong to jail.

And, apparently, I have outstanding warrants and the cops are only one step behind in taking me to jail, unless I call the number.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 37 (1,618 Views)

While both of my major credit cards had fraudulent charges a few years ago, the CC company caught them & I got new cards.

I've never even been e-mailed or phoned with a scam, but I'm not particularly susceptible either. I have no close relatives who'd reach out to me to "bail them out" while traveling, I have no delusions of 3rd world royalty needing my help to extract fortunes from their homelands, I don't enter contests so no one will notify me that I have to pay them to collect my winnings, and I don't look for "something for nothing" or use "contractors" who just show up at the door, offering to do work I don't think I need.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Community Manager

Have you been scammed or have you spotted a scam?

Message 37 of 37 (1,576 Views)

Identity theft is one of the most pervasive crimes in the world, but it’s also one of the easiest to protect against. Check out the first in a series of videos featuring AARP Fraud Watch Network expert Frank Abagnale showcasing 10 easy steps to help beat identity thieves.

Have you been scammed or have you spotted a scam? Share your story on AARP’s interactive Scam-tracking Map. You can also visit the map to read up on law enforcement alerts about scams and fraud in your area.