Senate Unveils Health Bill — and It’s Bad.  Call Toll-Free 844-259-9351 to Urge Your Senator to Vote 'No'

Info Seeker

Re: Have you been scammed or have you spotted a scam?

Message 21 of 37 (3,802 Views)

Sorry AARP Community, I thought earlier message to pb40374959 would be a private message. Sincere apologies.

Imbunky
Info Seeker +

Message 22 of 37 (2,482 Views)

Attitudes like 2PAPA who thinks he knows it all will get scammed big time by a first time scanner who just thought up the newest method 

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 37 (2,428 Views)

I got a call this morning saying they were the IRS and a lawsuit was going to be filed against me. They gave me ID and badge numbers. Said I could resolve the problem if I gave them vouchers or that a police officer would be at my door within 45 minutes to take me to jail.  I knew it was a scam but played along with them. Said I could only come up with $000 and how could I get it to them, they had me stey on the phone told me to get in my car and gave me the address of the local Lowe's store, They told me to pull into the oarking lot and they would tell me how to get the "voucher" for them. When I asked what to do next, they told me to buy iTunes cards, at that point I told them what they could do and hung up in them.

My phone now will block all calls except for those in my contact list.

Why do these jerks have to rey on the elderly? I'm glad that I am not gullble but, have heard of some people have lost thousands of dollars.  Disgusting!

Super Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 37 (2,500 Views)

No, I was never scammed.  The scammers know better than to try to scam me!

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 37 (2,455 Views)
Dear pb40374959, to be "scammed" by friends is horrible. To be coerced into marriage by a true psychopath is another. I was "targeted" too. The emotional devastation that predators leave in their wake is too crazy for words. Sadly, they move on with no regret or remorse. The are Master Manipulators. For 20 years I worked 4 jobs concurrently. My husband didn't work (total of 2-3 months in 20 years. It was a whirlwind courtship and a marriage from hell- even beaten on our honeymoon. 30 years later, I haven't recovered, but am still seeking help for the PTSD.
I'm so sorry that you and your son were targeted. The bright side is that there are many true friends/neighbors with honesty, understanding and emotions. They don't have to have suffered the same situation to understand. Dysfunction survivors will understand the pain, trauma, and help you sort out the questions ("why me?") with compassionate/empathetic answers. My advice is to make 1 generic question or comment and see if the friend replies, "Me too!" If not, then stop and change subjects. You will eventually meet that 1 you can open up to that will understand. Our low-income senior citizen complexes are filled with "Me too" people from varied pasts and details but flowing with emotions from being past targets of dysfunction. Remember too, there are always people that have experienced MUCH worse betrayal or dysfunction. Try to help them with your compassion and empathy.
Imbunky
Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 37 (2,539 Views)

I was scammed in a very nasty way.  After my husband passed away a friend of his approached me to go out with him. Being very lonely, I did. I did not realize that he and all the people he introduced me to were alcoholics. He even got my son, who drinks, to get involved. It was surprising the ways they use to get money out of you.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 27 of 37 (2,493 Views)

veOne of the first lessons I learned in my life was that if it seems too good to be true, it usually is.  That was when I was about 22 in my first job as a stock broker.  I was dupped, by my office manager, into investing $25K in a startup company.  The principals were friends of his, and he had invested much of his own money.  After watching the company go belly up, I learned to never trust "friends" whose judgement was highly questionable.  Since then, I've always run the other way when the opportunity seems too good to be true.  Now, I research investments thoroughly before investing any money.  I use only reputable, long-established companies to invest through.  I never buy anything that has a commission of any kind.  When someone is taking a commission, that tells me they're very likely to scam me. That's why I only use Vanguard Group.  They don't charge me any commissions, and their fees are extremely low.  In recent years, I've had numerous "Gypsies" ring my doorbell trying to sell me everything from driveway repaving to house painting to lawnmowing to car detailing to septic tank cleaning to tree work to snow plowing.  Whenever someone comes on my property uninvited and unsolicited, I always greet them with a gun in my hand.  They immediately get the message that they better get off my property while they're still able to.  There's never any discussion.  They just leave and never come back.  If I'm in a particularly bad mood, I carry a .45 automatic.  Otherwise, I carry a .38 special.  I've never had anyone complain to the police; they're the last people these guys want to get involved with.  I have a sign posted at the end of my driveway that clearly says "No Soliciting."  I've never had to use a gun, but it's loaded just in case.  I'm the original preacher of "Just Hang Up" when the caller ID number isn't familiar to me.  The latest phone scam I've been getting is the fake IRS threat that they're about to file a lawsuit against me.  Last week I got the same call 3 times in the one day.  How stupid can people be?  Anyone who gets caught by that scam has to mentally seriously impaired.  Come on people.... everyone is trying to scam you.  Learn how to hang up the phone.  Stop being polite.  When someone comes on your property, slam the door in their face.  Empower yourself by gettng a gun, and learn how to use it.  Learn how to protect yourself; no one is going to do it for you.  Always remember that the easiest people to scam are the greedy.  There's no free lunch.  If someone says you just won a free cruise, it's a scam.  If someone says you won the lottery, it's a scam.  Everything is a scam.  Don't believe anyone.

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 37 (2,438 Views)

Yes, I sought treatment for a spinal tumor and it's subsequent removal. I first received a letter instructing me to complete a blank form 2 weeks after seeing my Primary Care Physician. The form needed all information including name, DOB, address, Social Security number, Insurance coverages, etc. I had to describe if my Dr. visit was "accident or injury". The physician's name was in the letter. I have full insurance coverage. I called the Dr's office. 'No need to complete the form'. Next came a similar letter from my Pharmacy. I walked the form over. 'No need to complete the form'. Next, after surgery, I again receive the same form stating the hospital name. No need to complete the form.

I was also contacted by the Direct Express-Comerica (Social Security) Bank and Citibank that my debit cards had been fraudulently used for $0.19 and $0.64 etc. in Luxenburg and Edinborough overseas. I never would have noticed until they hacked my accounts on payday, as my only income is Social Security. 

Every 2-3 months I receive letters for free security tracking as Walmart, K-Mart, Home Depot, etc. debit machines have been hacked. I verified directly with 1 security corporation, they said yes, the security offer was valid. I completed the offer on-line. The next month I pulled my credit report and saw the security company name listed- but spelled incorrectly. I called the security company. They said I never completed or submitted the paperwork. My computer, email, passwords, programs, etc had to be  cleaned and reset. 

More irritating is that my private cell phone is receiving 4-5 calls per day from all over the US. 

WHEN WILL THIS INVASION END?

Imbunky
Info Seeker

Message 29 of 37 (2,405 Views)

I got in a serius scam a little over a year ago. My 401k I had at my work really didn't seem to be making much money at all. I went looking for a new place to move my money and found out about Binary options. I tried it a little bit trying to learn how on my own but never could get the hang of it and lost as much as I gained. Then I was contacted by a guy that told me I needed to try the company he uses. The only catch was the hedge fund manager that he used only worked with balances over $100,000.00. A little scary to say the least. And the money had to deposited in a foreign back in Hong Kong. So I talked to the guy and was able to get him to show me what he could do starting out somewhat smaller. So he agreed to take $75,000 to start with and show what he could do for me. I watched my account on line and over a 4 month period he gained a little over $7000.00. Almost 10% in only 4 months. He told me that he had learned to trade this market at the right time and could do that consistantly. We set up a contract that he could gained me at least 4 to 5% each month and never put over 20% at risk at any one time. Well,  much to my bank's reluctance, I transferred the rest of my $200,000.00 total over there to him, $130,000.00 more. Things went great for a few more months and he did some good gains. Then all of a sudden he set up long term trades for 99% of my account to not end for 6 months. He traded that this particular stock would go down over the next few months and I win win a whopping 80% earnings. Needless to say, it turned out to be a scam that just took a while longer to close but I lost all of my $200,000.00. The website is closed and the email contacts and the phone numbers have all been disconnected. I learned a valuable lesson but now without my $200,000.00. I hope no one else ever gets caught up in the binary option trades. They will scam you. I hope everyone listens. The company I dealt with was Optinvestments.com. But no matter, please stay away from binary options.

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 37 (2,241 Views)

I have never been scammed, but I've had been tempted hundreds of times. The only problem THEY have, I'm onto them. I get e-mail from someone in Benin, Africa, or some place like that, telling me that they  have 2,000,000 dollars or more that they want me to have, but they want money to release it. All I would like to do to them, is email back and tell them: Go to H--l!!!! If I respond,then I'm in trouble. The email that I get, don't even have my name or e-mail address.The calls I get are for various information and I get them daily. Sometimes it's some asking me if I want further my education. I ask them their age and since I'm almost 80 years old, I tell them "I don't need any more education and I know more than you do". Then I hear a click. (they hung up) They can call me any time, but they must be prepared to something they won't like, maybe I'll read the Bible to them. It's called PREACHING, so be it,(AMEN)