Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Have you been scammed or have you spotted a scam?

Message 1 of 39 (108 Views)

A young man came to the door and introduced himself as a representative from a company called Guardian, and he said he "needed to take pictures of our house" be cause our address showed up on a list for foreclosure (It is not).  

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 39 (205 Views)

I just answered the phone and saw a local number and the corporate name "Continental Airlines".  The voice said are you _____ and I said Yes.  He hung up.  I have given him the answer "Yes" and I have read that that is a scam with whomever using the answer "Yes" as a way to say that I had placed an order for something.  Does anyone know what I might do to stop or interupt this scam?

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 39 (2,034 Views)

I received several barely intelligable recorded robocalls (a tip off) on my cell phone concerning my IRS returns. This, of course, meant that I could not ask questions before I called the phone number in the message. When I called I was given info about what I owed (partly accurate; I am paying back taxes). I was told that payments had been stopped (they had temporarily, but had resumed) and that officers would be at my door in 45 minutes to arrest me. Did someone read the IRS letter before I received it? I was starting to panic when I realized the scam and told the person I was talking to as much and that I would call the IRS. Fortunately I had not given any personal information. I cut her off mid-sentence and contacted the IRS. I was told that the IRS never makes such calls; it was a scam. I have sent an email to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration as per the IRS website detailing what happenned. I expect a follow-up call from them. Their phone number is 1-800-366-4484. They want info on these scams.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 39 (2,034 Views)

I received several barely intelligable recorded robocalls (a tip off) on my cell phone concerning my IRS returns. This, of course, meant that I could not ask questions before I called the phone number in the message. When I called I was given info about what I owed (partly accurate; I am paying back taxes). I was told that payments had been stopped (they had temporarily, but had resumed) and that officers would be at my door in 45 minutes to arrest me. Did someone read the IRS letter before I received it? I was starting to panic when I realized the scam and told the person I was talking to as much and that I would call the IRS. Fortunately I had not given any personal information. I cut her off mid-sentence and contacted the IRS. I was told that the IRS never makes such calls; it was a scam. I have sent an email to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration as per the IRS website detailing what happenned. I expect a follow-up call from them. Their phone number is 1-800-366-4484. They want info on these scams.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 39 (2,210 Views)
1. No outsider knows what is happening on your computer, unless the person has already hacked into that computer.
2. Microsoft "Windows" does not monitor anything on your computer. Microsoft only sends ads for new products they hope you will buy.
3. An IRS agent never uses that agency's initials in a phone call. They use the full name of the agency and a means to identify the agent who made the call to you. Requests for payments of taxes are made through US Mail, not phone calls.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 39 (2,211 Views)

Yes, I caught one. I was called by a man saying he was a UPS driver and needed to deliver a package. We hadnt ordered anything, so I asked who it was from. He hezatated a few seconds and

said Publishers clearing house. Then asked if we were home. I said yes come on over. He hung up.

The reason I was worried was my caller ID said he was from Jamaica!!!!  I have an account with UPS

and called to check on it. The lady that i spoke with asked if he gave a tracking number, which he hadnt. She said good thing I called, UPS drivers will first Identify themselves then give you the tracking

number. No Number, call the police if someone does arrive shortly after you talk to them. DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR!!!!!! They want you mainly not to be home, but BE SAFE FIRST!!!!!!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 39 (2,519 Views)

I was reading in comments on Lymphoma Society page,  and someone listed this "Rick Simpson site ie.phoenixtearsadim@gmail.com" explaining how hemp oil was cure for cancers and diseases of multiple sorts.  From one letter to the next,  they moved from Canada to US,  and were "selling" this stuff for a mere $530. They over-explained themselves on the legality of its sale thru postal channels...  #SCAM-ALERT

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 39 (2,718 Views)
I was trying to go on U-tube to look for information regarding a boat sinking in Chicago in the late 1800s I
think , when a pop-up came on my computer . It stated that I should call the number on the screen stating it was Microsoft.,about a virus or something on my computer and I should call the number on the screen .
I did not call the number because the same thing happen some months back when I was about to order something
off of E-bay .I talked to the man by phone and he was able from where ever he was to move the cursor around
my computer screen. and told me he could fix the virus and safe guard my information for a price ranging from
$200-$400 I think . I told him I might as will go get another computer. I did not take the offer! So for the next 3days I couldn't use the computer without that stuff on the screen. After that 4 withdrawls were made from my bank account. The amounts were small so the Bank replaced them, So It happen again this month.Saying I should call the number again ,this time I called my bank right away give them the information I got off the screen,, customer service suggested I call the number. I call Microsoft instead they said it wasn't them ,that I knew but I let them know that the scam was out and they were using their logo.
All I know is that Nothing came out of my account and the computer was only down for a day!
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 39 (2,938 Views)

I just got the same IRS Scam call actually I got two of them within a week

Get allot of calls saying there from Microsoft and my computer is infected and spreading the virus. Funny thing I to them my PC hasn't been on in a over a week. I often tell them they should quite trying to scam new users and older people trying to learn.

I often try to collect as much info as I can from them first so I can report them.

I'm a retired PC GUY so I hit them with some technical term and laugh as the rubble around and try to figure out what those terms mean. Can hear them trying to Google it.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 39 (3,155 Views)

I have told them to just sue me. When they started I yelled just sue me like everyone else. Then hung up. Thirty years as a contractor for the Federal government taught me that they don't move without a memo or letter in triplicate. 😇