Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Grocery sale receipts

Please consider printing an article on checking your receipts. Example - 

This has happened to me more than once at Kroger.

Sales include using digital coupons, buy a certain number of items to get the sales price and some items are just a sale price.  This could get very confusing for seniors.

I purchased Coke a Cola products that were 4 for $12.00.  They rang up $5.49 ea. Went back to the store for refund.  Instead of giving me a full refund and letting me make the purchase again, they take the $12.00 from the $21.98.  So I paid sales tax on the $21.98.  The sale tags on the shelves are constantly incorrect. So on the items where you think you have gotten the number of items you need for the sale price, is often not the case.  This is costly for seniors who have limited spending to have to make trips back to the store or just pay more.  I have been trying to teach my Mother about the digital coupons, but it is not easy for her.  I understand about rewards and such but why can't items just be on sale period.

Just read the fine print on the ads and check your receipts.

Honored Social Butterfly

@pm3919162 wrote:

Please consider printing an article on checking your receipts. Example - 

This has happened to me more than once at Kroger.

Thank goodness I live in an area that has a vibrant grocery competition. One chain here, Harris Teeter, owned by Kroger, is in a hot and heavy competition with Publix, the Florida chain. Both have rules regarding overcharges. Both will give you one item for free if you are over charged, and if you bought multiples of the same item, you get the first one free and the others at the sale price. Over the years, I have scored a free $48.00 standing rib roast because it was on sale but they tagged it at regular price. I have gotten $100's of free groceries over the years by knowing my prices and making sure that is what I am charged. There are laws against overcharging and several grocery stores have the same policy that Harris Teeter and Publix have. I would advise you to check Kroger's written policy. It sounds like you are getting ripped off in more ways than the one you describe.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP