How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: Computer Phone Scam

Message 1 of 4 (173 Views)

A friend of ours recently got this call and followed the caller's instructions, unfortunately losing control of the friend's computer. The scammer demanded payment for the "fix." My husband was able to wipe the computer's memory and reboot it with fresh software, restoring it to the owner without paying the "ransom." If there had been much stored on it, like documents and photos, it would have been lost. Luckily, it was mainly used for web surfing and email. 

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4 (417 Views)

cs34447275 wrote:

Received a call from Out of Area Private Caller (first clue) from an actual person with a south Asian accent identifying himself as Adam (2nd clue) from Microsoft corporation (3rd clue) advising me that they received notice that my computer was infected with malicious software and that if I would go log into my computer he would walk me thru process for fixing it (4th clue). 

I hung up on him. This was a new one for me. 

This scam does have a full head of grey hair.

I have too much time on my hands so I engage these dudes and waste their time. I'll pretend I can't hear them, I'll repeat what they've said back to them incorrectly, anything to take up their time. I make up stories like I am in security for Microsoft, etc. etc. etc. They get irritated and finally, they hang up on me.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4 (429 Views)

You did the right thing.

But I would certainly encourage everyone who reads this thread to search for the various scams that are out there --- at least the major ones. This phony Microsoft scam has been around for years, since at least 2009, and highly publicized. Everyone on a PC should be aware of it.

There is a lot of info on scams on this website and newletters. You can also do online searches for 'top email scams' and 'top phone scams'.

There seem to be far too many people writing about scams that have been around for years and should be 'old news'. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Computer Phone Scam

Message 4 of 4 (442 Views)

Received a call from Out of Area Private Caller (first clue) from an actual person with a south Asian accent identifying himself as Adam (2nd clue) from Microsoft corporation (3rd clue) advising me that they received notice that my computer was infected with malicious software and that if I would go log into my computer he would walk me thru process for fixing it (4th clue). 

I hung up on him. This was a new one for me.