Easy Ways to Turn July 4th Into a Longer Vacation. Find Out How at aarp.org/takeaday

Info Seeker

Re: Ancestry.com changes your credit card information to make unauthorized charges

Message 1 of 22 (1,094 Views)

I am getting so tired of reading about people's expectation for things to be free. When you worked, did you donate your time or did you expect compensation for the hours you put in?  We have saddled our children and grandchildren with $20 Trillion dollars of debt and now we apparently going to start working on our great and great-great grandchildren.

Info Seeker

Re: Ancestry.com changes your credit card information to make unauthorized charges

Message 2 of 22 (2,828 Views)
ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT, LIKE THE "TERMS & CONDITIONS" (TNC) FOR EACH WEBSITE/COMPANY WITH WHICH YOU GIVE PERMISSION TO AUTO-RENEW. MOST OFTEN THEIR TNC STATE THAT AUTO-RENEW WILL CONTINUE UNTIL YOU ACTIVELY REVOKE YOUR PERMISSION THEN THEY EXPLICITLY STATE HOW THAT REVOCATION MUST BE DONE. THE MORE UNSCRUPULOUS COMPANIES WON'T ALLOW YOU TO CANCEL ONLINE BUT FORCE YOU TO CALL A SPECIFIC NUMBER DURING A SPECIFIC TIME TO CANCEL SO THEY CAN HAVE A LIVE HUMAN TRY TO TALK YOU OUT OF IT!
IT IS ALL LEGAL BECAUSE YOU AGREE TO IT WHEN YOU SIGN-UP.
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 22 (3,562 Views)

Auto-renew means you give them authorization to renew each year.  Why does that surprise anyone?  You can stop auto-renew, but it is very convenient for those of us who would prefer not to worry about renewals.  You don't want it any more?  Stop the auto-renew.  Good grief.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 22 (3,603 Views)

Unfortunately, you didn't call them and tell them not to auto renew.  I have cancelled multiple times, and restarted, and have never had an issue.  But, you can't just assume a cancellation with anyone. 

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 22 (3,728 Views)

I have been using Ancestry.com for over 12 years now.
Yes, they do require a credit card to be on record and will automatically renew every year unless you call them.
That said, they give you plenty of notice. At least 2 months prior to the end of my subscription I will start getting email reminders that my account will renew on the set date and when I use their site there are reminders that pop up that renewal is coming soon.
Have you tried calling their customer service for a refund? They are very good to deal with.
Like any membership - you need to read the fine print before you sign up. Ancestry spells out all of these details and you have to click to agree when you sign up.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 22 (3,913 Views)

Once they suck you in, you're pretty much at their mercy. The Mormon Church is in control of Ancestry.com and they're a huge institution. They got a lot of my ancestral information wrong. I'd go with another site and check with the BBB!!!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 22 (4,039 Views)

That is very true.  Hulu has been charging my expired card for months and the credit card company lets it go thru.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 22 (4,087 Views)

sinkcar wrote:

I would make sure I changed things in the past, but with an expired card, who would have thought it necessary?

Magazines are notorious for this, even with expired cards they will run the charge through and the bank card will accept it. However, I've never had a problem with filing a dispute or calling the merchant to get the charge reversed.

I think most people hate this practice and would like it to stop. It's not a convenience, and it would take little effort to send an approval for a renewal if it was wanted.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 22 (4,116 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

Just askin -

but how many of you actually read those terms of service which you agree to when signing up for various services which you are paying for on an automatic basis?

Agreed....

This is a common practice today and was intended to be a service enhancement to CC customers, though it's obvious the merchant and CC company wins as well.  Goota read the fine print and if you choose not to, surprises may come your way.

The topic poster agreed to "auto-renew", NOT renew until card expires.  These are "authorized charges" per the agreement.

Keep complaining to get your refund...you'll get the refund as a "courtesy" if you handle the process effectively.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 22 (4,136 Views)

@Prosecco6247

Anytime you are cancelling a card, the credit card company or banking institution should send you written confirmation that it has been done.  This is especially true when trying to close out a person's estate because there is always the risk of identity theft and the confirmation letter is proof that the action has been taken.

We live in a time when CYA is necessary.

Just askin but if the CC was in your late husband's name how did they reissue it to you and have the delinquency reported on your credit report?  Did I miss something?