Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

What Songs Would You Retire?

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

And so a show is born. On this edition of All Songs Considered, "Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/10/556692186/hallelujah-the-songs-we-should-retire?utm_...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Contributor

I’ve got two:  Fever and Send in the Clowns.

Periodic Contributor

Henry the Eight by Herman's Hermits. Why anyone agreed to record that song in the first place is beyond me.

Regular Contributor

The song was written and performed as it was to display the Cockney accents.

Regular Contributor

The Lonely Goatherd

Contributor

The Devil went down to Georgia, I like my women just a little on the trashy side, and all songs by Kiss and the Beatles.

Regular Contributor

The Devil Went Down to Georgia is just one of those really great pieces of music. Always enjoy hearing this.

My mother named me Susan which I shortened to Sue as a teen. Then along comes Johnny Cash with his "Boy Named Sue" song. PLEASE... I could happily live the rest of my life without another reference to that song!

Contributor

I would love to retire ALL of the Beatles songs. They were so overrated as a music group and as individual artists also. 

Conversationalist

You don't know much about music if you say that about the Beatles!! You don't have to like their music, but at least have respect for their talent. All 4 of them!  While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of the best songs ever written.... 

Periodic Contributor

We will have to agree to disagree. I do respect the Beatles, however they are not my cup of tea. Though I thought the White album was pretty good.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Even if not all Beatles songs ... at least get rid of 'Hey Jude.' That one should never be heard again.

Teresa
Periodic Contributor

Worst...Beatles...song...ever!!

Periodic Contributor

Amen!

Regular Contributor

I think you're from another planet if you say the Beatles are overrated. They were the best rock and roll band ever.

Regular Contributor

Close but no banana!

Periodic Contributor

I tend to agree with zendude. Not a big Beatles fan, Rolling Stones were much better, IMHO.

Periodic Contributor

The beatles will always rule. They paved the way for the stones

Least favorite song

Free bird

Periodic Contributor

Good God yes! I want to puke every time this this worn out moldy oldie comes on. It sends me diving for the channel button! Right up there with Sweet (**bleep**ty) Home Alabama.
Regular Contributor

I love that song. Hope it never goes awasy!

Regular Contributor

I have to agree--I could definitely do without "Freebird:" listening to it makes me feel seasick--probably those extreme melody dips. Also that song by Bobby Goldsboro--sorry, I forgot the title, but I can hear that tune in my head, **bleep** it!--the tune's actually ok, but the lyrics are so sappy. Another no-go: "Me and Mrs. Jones." Bleah.

Periodic Contributor

an1532 -- the Bobby Goldsboro song was "Honey." I agree, that song should heve been killed before it was written.

Bronze Conversationalist

Oh, my, yes. And every other Bobby Goldsboro song. Remember (gag) "See the Funny Little Clown" and "Watching Scotty Grow"?

Periodic Contributor

Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" - over-played and just annoying, everything by Ed Sheeran - boring, boring, boring, "Piano Man" by Billy Joel... 

Periodic Contributor

Two that immediately come to mind are, American Pie and Don't Worry, Be Happy. Can't stand those songs!

Periodic Contributor

Anything by KISS. No amount of fireworks or make up will make lousy music sound good- even played really really loud. I.E. "I wwant to rock and roll all night and party every day"... repeat ad- nauseum

Contributor

The Lion Sleeps Tonight. May I never hear it again as long as I live.

Honored Social Butterfly

@cogworth wrote:

The Lion Sleeps Tonight. May I never hear it again as long as I live.

@cogworth  I remember dancing to that song in high school.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Shoot.  Still love "lion Sleeps Tonite..!"  A-wing-away-a-wing-away....!

Regular Contributor

Amen!
Contributor

It might not be a true song, but the "Cars for Kids" jingle is enough to drive me to insanity. It's an automatic change to another station whenever it plays.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP