Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

What Songs Would You Retire?

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

And so a show is born. On this edition of All Songs Considered, "Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/10/556692186/hallelujah-the-songs-we-should-retire?utm_...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

I came to despise these two songs because they were overplayed. Seems like every time I turned on the radio, then off they went!

1973 it was La Grange by ZZ Top

1980 and then some, Another One Bites the Dust by Queen

Today, I can listen to Bites the Dust and it doesn’t bother me, but no thanks to La Grange, now or ever! I still hate that song!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Social Butterfly

Still can't listen to Another One Bites The Dust, but the ZZ Top song, for me, is Cheap Sunglasses.  It's catchy...liked it the first 99,999 times...then it was like 'Oh Not Again'.

Social Butterfly

Only for me personally, is "Little Red Corvette". There is nothing wrong with the song. It is just that when it first came out, it was played on the radio stations nearly every five minutes. So I got burnt out on it. The same thing happens with food sometimes.  😃

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @Vexed 😃

Just 4 U!

A shiny red 1958 Chevrolet Corvette! ♥️

A shiny red 1958 Chevrolet CorvetteA shiny red 1958 Chevrolet Corvette

Social Butterfly

Aw shucks @Therapist4u . 😎

Silver Conversationalist

hahaaa....

😄

BTW: IMHO the earliest  models 🚗

had a superior design!👌😸

Social Butterfly

You are right @Therapist4u . And they were easier to fix. 😃

Honored Social Butterfly

Welcome to the jungle, Guns ‘n Roses

(Not a fan of them and this song is like

nails on a chalkboard to me)

Trusted Social Butterfly

In keeping with the sage obsevations of @BobH07 I'll limit my 'Retirement' suggestion just to songs I, personally, could go the rest of My Life without ever hearing again. Starting with:

Stayin' Alive - The Bee Gees

Note: This assumes "Retire" means relegated to an Archive, not annihilated!

P.S. Gotta say it's a little surprising that almost the whole list from the Blackballed by #MeToo topic isn't here.

Honored Social Butterfly

LOL - That, and pretty much anything from the disco era, for me! Wasn’t much of a disco music fan, anyway. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Social Butterfly

Not a big Disco fan myself...although I get a kick out of The Red Hot Chili Peppers' and Korn's covers of Rollercoaster of Love and Word Up.

Honored Social Butterfly

Songs that have been rewritten to be used in a commercial, e.g. Pilot's "Magic"--> "Ozempic"

Regular Social Butterfly

I haven't read through all these yet, so these might have already been mentioned, but "Angel of the Morning" has always been an annoying song that somehow manages to be sappy and pathetic at the same time. Not judging anybody, just don't even like anything about the way it sounds, to be honest.

Also, a few years ago my husband requested that I make him a doo wop mix CD, with songs I picked out with his approval before adding to the list. (He doesn't do Spotify.) He loves that CD and plays it over and over, which I'm glad, but every time it gets to "Silouettes" by the Rays, I start thinking crazy thoughts like, "What? Is this dude stalking his girlfriend, walking by her house late at night? And then he thinks he sees her with somebody else, so he's about to go bust her front door down? And then when it turns out he was just on the wrong block, he goes directly to her actual house and then TELLS HER that he almost went violent on the wrong house ... is this like a thinly veiled threat?"  Let's please retire that one, whoever is in charge of universal playlists!! (Or else just use it in the sound track to a horror flick!)

Social Butterfly

Mandy - Barry Manilow

Honored Social Butterfly

My Humps (Black Eyed Peas) and any other songs featuring "lady lumps," "junk in the trunk" or "coco puff"

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

I wouldn't retire any music. Every song, every type has different meaning to different people.

Who are we to judge!

Periodic Contributor

Let me see. Oh yeah, Last Kiss. Pearl Jam version makes me want to throw up in my mouth. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Me and Mrs Jones (Billy Paul) and Run to You (Bryan Adams)--just a personal reaction, but songs that celebrate infidelity creep me out

Periodic Contributor

Alone Again Naturally by Gilbert O'Sullivan

It's message is SO negative!

Honored Social Butterfly

"You're Having My Baby"

(worst reason for having kids:  "what a lovely way of saying what you're thinking of me")

Periodic Contributor

Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold...seriously???!

A first-born son feels displaced by a baby sister and causes him to spiral out of control!

Pllllleeeassse!

Conversationalist

Who Let the Dogs Out; anything by Katie Perry; Sexual Healing (Marvin Gaye); 

Contributor

"Cat's in The Cradle" by Harry Chapin and "Seasons in The Sun" by Terry James.  Nice songs but just too depressing.

Regular Social Butterfly

"Sound of Silence" -- Simon and Garfunkel

The cover by Disturbed is so honorable, no one else imho could do it justice...

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

"Sound of Silence" -- Simon and Garfunkel

The cover by Disturbed is so honorable, no one else imho could do it justice...

#VegasStrong

@WebWiseWoman - I tried your link but it didn't go to the song. Here is the official version on youtube. It's worth a listen. Starts out a little creepy but he does make it unique. However, being a huge S&G fan, I won't be ditching my original recording. Smiley Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

Bronze Conversationalist

I'd retire all Rap, although I don't consider it music.  I realize "to each his own" but I feel sorry for those who consider that music and who haven't been exposed to the real thing.

Periodic Contributor

Rap / hip hop evolved in neighborhoods where music education had been removed in curricula, so it arose as a natural expresison of rhythm and poetry. By every definition of music, it is indeeed both absolutely music and a legitimate cultural art form. (I'm a published songwriter and musician)  You may not like it, but that's simply subjectivity at play. 

Periodic Contributor

RAP is Repulsive and not Music!!! Very Vulgar at Times and I wouldn't let Children go Near That!!! Look at the World---Do Yu Like It???

Regular Social Butterfly

@drbeef wrote:

RAP is Repulsive and not Music!!! Very Vulgar at Times and I wouldn't let Children go Near That!!! Look at the World---Do Yu Like It???

A lot of rappers don't like it either. A lot of protesters on the street are less musical. Do you think protesters like to protest just for the fun of it? Maybe they do. It is what it is. It's not all bad.

Periodic Contributor

Although I love Boston and feel like a traitor, I have to nominate Sweet Caroline sung by Neil Diamond and anyone else. I never could stand that song and during baseball season it is ubiquitous in Boston. Hate. That. Song.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP