How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Message 1 of 13 (297 Views)

Another of my favs  not her biggest seller  but terrific

Melissa Etheridge  Skin   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHBN_4PRYBo&list=PLWY0d0fx8AJf0L-YpT4Io2hbkLO2fBFkh

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 2 of 13 (299 Views)

DED46 wrote:

Hard to believe the list didn't include Joan Osbourne - Relish.

It's also odd that several albums are by groups that contain more men than women.

https://youtu.be/7Gx1Pv02w3Q   What if God Was One of Us

Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 13 (327 Views)

Hard to believe the list didn't include Joan Osbourne - Relish.

It's also odd that several albums are by groups that contain more men than women.

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 13 (355 Views)

Private Dancer.   Tina Turner.   

I heard the title song from this album playing on the radio and it brought tears to my eyes.  It was a tremendously heartfelt album of music.  Her personal breakthrough!

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 13 (421 Views)

It looks like a good cross-section of music genres, styles, and times are represented. There are many that I've never heard of. Some of my favorite artists made the list, but not necessarily for the albums picked. Of the ones listed, Emmy Lou Harris/Wrecking Ball, and Linda Ronstadt/Heart Like a Wheel, are two that I especially like.

Missing from the list - where are?

Celine Dion - Falling Into You

Whitney Houston - The Bodyguard (soundtrack)

Cher - Believe

Gloria Estefan - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me or Cuts Both Ways

Olivia Newton-John - Let Me Be There (my pick), or maybe Physical or Grease, depending on style preference

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 13 (432 Views)

I’m captivated by their talents and success and love them all.

It’s always been impossible for me to impartially say without question who ranks where and who is the best of all time. How do you measure one female artist/singer against another? How do you measure one male artist, or Band against another?

There are so many aspects/qualities that go into what is great music to me. If there’s a benchmark I can’t define it.

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 13 (447 Views)

Woo hoo! Whole lotta contraltos on that list! 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 13 (463 Views)

Carol King is one of the best singer/song writers to come from my generation.  She can still compete with singers half her age.    What more can I say..

Message 9 of 13 (489 Views)

gatorgorilla wrote:

Again, thank you for sharing the list with us, nyadrn! Smiley Happy

You are welcome.  I gave it more weight based on the source being PBS

a whole host of terrific talent here.  Back to my early days and Diana Ross and Whitney and they included Dolly Parton.  I need more time to look over thd list. 

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 13 (532 Views)

The list is impressive and informative, @nyadrn.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  I want to go back and take time to absorb more details about some of the albums and artists.

Sadly, and for no particular reason, I became mostly uninterested in new music after the mid 1990's.  Didn't completely cut myself off from new sounds, but cared a lot less than I had in past, about keeping up with the latest.

Like @LookOverYonder, my first thought when I saw this list mentioned, was Carole King's "Tapestry", which came in at #10.

I thought k.d.lang's "Ingenue" was great - it ranked #88.

Was glad to see Bonnie Raitt's "Nick Of Time" included, at #52.  Also, Linda Ronstadt's "Heart Like a Wheel", ranked #53, and Cyndi Lauper's "She's So Unusual" at #66.

Am not saying I agree with the rankings of the above-mentioned albums, but was certainly happy to see them included.

The list made me recall two albums I enjoyed very much at the time they came out, Alison Krauss and Union Station's "New Favorite" at #91, and The Bulgarian State Radio and Television Choir's "Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares" at #78.

Again, thank you for sharing the list with us, nyadrn! Smiley Happy