Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Info Seeker

Re: Staying and feeling young through music

[ Edited ]
Message 21 of 35 (1,524 Views)

I put most of my favorite songs from the 1950, 1960 & 1970's on my IPod and when I drive a distance, I play them and sing as loud as I can (I am by myself Smiley Happy!!  The time goes by and each song brings back many memories from my younger days!! 

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 22 of 35 (1,497 Views)

I became interested in music through attending movies during the 1940s at my small neighborhood movie theater.  In the early 1940s I was taken to the movies by my parents or by my aunts, but starting in 1945 when I was 8 years old I was given a dime and allowed to go on my own.  It only cost a dime because my neighborhood movie theater mostly rented old movies from the 1930s --- on Friday nights they also showed a chapter of an old cliffhanger serial --- for music these serials usually used selections from classical music by Tchaikovsky, Liszt, ... etc... --- I learned to love this music and in 1951 when I was 14 I asked for a record player and I started buying records of the music I had learned to like from old movies.  And that was the start of my collection of classical music.  I was also a teenage magician and when I was 15 or 16 I went to a stage theater downtown to see Blackstone the Magician -- at that theater I saw a poster in the lobby for an upcoming visit by the national touring company of the musical "Guys and Dolls" --- it looked interesting, so I bought a ticket, and thus began my love of Broadway musicals.  I began to add original cast recordings of musicals to my record collection, starting, of course, with "Guys and Dolls."  Another favorite musical was "West Side Story" by Leonard Bernstein (who also composed and conducted classical music).  In 1960 Bernstein reunited most of the original cast of his 1944 musical "On the Town" to finally issue a studio recording of that musical --- that lively score became my all-time favorite, and I recommend the CD reissue of that recording very highly (and I also recommend the recent 2-CD recording of the recent Broadway revival of "On the Town," which uses Bernstein's original orchestration).  Of the current Broadway musicals my favorite is "Wicked" by Stephen Schwartz (who also composed "Godspell" and "Pippin") --- its orchestration is unusually rich --- he worked with Leonard Bernstein and, to my ears, the influence is apparent --- composer Andrew Lloyd Webber is quaoted as saying that "Wicked" is the best recent musical -- it's been playing to full houses at the Gershwin Theatre on Broadway for 12 years now --- the 2003 original cast recording with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth is outstanding!  Those of you with young grandchildren will know the singing voice of Idina Menzel from the Disney movie "Frozen" --- in that animated movie she sings the song "Let It Go" which was such a big hit with the youngsters (and many oldsters, such as ME!).

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 35 (1,501 Views)

I play in a community and a church band,  Keeps me sane!! Music is a universal Godsend.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 35 (1,422 Views)

Listening to music always makes me feel good. Sometimes, I like to play music that gets me moving and inspires me to exercise. Other times, I just have it playing in the background, especially when I'm in the kitchen, or have softer music if I want to read or just meditate for a while.

I enjoy many genres - classical, pop (including some new pop), classical-pop, celtic, soul/R&B, and some classic rock, folk and rockabilly. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 35 (1,511 Views)

Thank you for all the great posts sharing your love of music, whether you listen or play!   I love to read all the stories shared.  I think about how music cheers you up when you are down, makes you happy when you are sad and just adds to life in general!!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 35 (5,075 Views)

I like to listen to Adult Hit Music off Pandora Plus and now we can sing along to many of today's hit songs. It keeps us in tune with our kids to listen to some of the more recent music- and do not get us started on Adele.  We also like the way oldies of the 1920s to the 1950s too. I cannot imagine a day without a tune going around us.  Worries and fears melt with the music our world.

Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 35 (4,971 Views)

There is nothing like music to keep you feeling alive. Played the piano and accordion for many years. When I hear music I can be any age, with anyone and any place that I like. I think any song that you remember is a memory connected to some time in your life. The memory may not always be good but the music always was. 

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 35 (4,989 Views)

Wow!  50 years of drumming!  I always complimented the drummers in every band I have played in because it requires a lot of stamina and energy.  As a saxophone player there are songs I don't play in or have small parts in sometimes, but drummers have to play throughout the set on every song.  On Facebook there was a post that said, "Your band is only as good as your drummer!"  I believe that!  Believe it or not, my early interest in music was the result of my mom's singing and my father introducing me to Sinatra, Bennett, Dorsey Brothers, the Big Bands, also!  THAT WAS REAL MUSIC  Keep on drumming, have a GREAT day and an even GREATER (safe and Happy) Holiday Season.

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 35 (4,978 Views)

I have always LOVED HandBell choirs.  I am impressed by the coordination it takes to do it well.  My secret to staying in excellent shape in my younger years was dancing every chance I could to include Sqaure Dancing.  It was a big thing back in the day particularly in Germany where I was stationed.  Part of my exercise routine is aerobic dancing.  Seems the music makes you forget the fatigue.  I'm in education, so Friday we begin our Christmas break and I really plan to REV-UP my activities to include lots of Pine Straw raking.  I have created walking trails in my front and back yards and I do it with a headset on while listening to good music.  My goal is to have less of me in 2016!  Have a GREAT day and an even GREATER (happy and safe) Holiday!

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 35 (5,242 Views)

Afterr reading your post I just had to share. Like you I have been playing in a variety of local and professional bands since 1965. I was 15 when I got bit by the music bug. I will celebrating 50 years of drumming this New Years and I have loved every moment of it. Music has always  been a part of my life. I was raised on Sinatra, Bennett, Dorsey Brothers, the Big Bands. My mother always had music playing in the house. My uncles played in mariachi bands. So my influencess in music came from many genres. I am currently playing in a classic rock, country, and jazz bands.

Staying and feeling young through music, hell yeah. I feel like a twenty year old when I sit behind my trap set. I have been truely blessed.

Don M.