Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

Recognized Social Butterfly

PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

The only stipulation here is that the song should be commentary,  controversial, expressing a rebellious, protesting "frame of mind"; generally, or speciffically, about society, culture, economics, wealth, poverty, politics, war, peace, relationships, etc, etc, etc.

How about some songs which, when you heard them, you thought, "Yeh, those lyrics tell it like it is!" or maybe you were offended by the controversial lyrics.

Your song selection may be from any time period in history and about any topic you choose, old songs and new songs.

Please be free to post protest & rebellion songs which either you agreed with or which "honked" you off.

Here is an opportunity to "Get it off your chest!" Go ahead and briefly include memorable lyrics of the song if you like [ if you remember 🙂 ]

To begin.....here's a protest song:     Subterranean Homesick Blues     Bob Dylan

Merely OneTokeOTL
Social Butterfly

WAS THE COUNTRY JOE& FISH WOODSTOCK SONG-"FIXIN' TO DIE RAGE"?" ONE TWO..3, 4- WHAT'RE WE FIGHTIN' FOR"?>>> ALSO "EVE OF DESTRUCTION"- BARRY MCGUIRE- AN EARLY PROTEST SONG.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hi, @l483260l  The song by Country Joe and the Fish is the "Fixing to Die Rag". It begins with what became known as the "Fish Cheer". At least the "F" is correct. 😉

Social Butterfly

SORRY I MISSED THIS POST BEFORE, BUT THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE PROTEST SONGS.
GIL SCOTT HERON -"THE REVOLUTION WILLL NOT BE TELEVISED."https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaoXAwl9kw
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Periodic Contributor

The last posting made me remember the Last Poets who must have inspired Gil-Scott Heron, and their work should also be included. 

Social Butterfly

I MISSED THAT SOURCE- CAN YOU POST SOMETHING BY THEM?
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Born in the U.S.A.

--Bruce Springsteen

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Conversationalist

Abraham, Martin, and John ======= Dion DiMucci

My teenage years began in 1967.  I was too young to understand the causes and effects of what happened back then.  Soon it was April.  Then June.  Then this song came along and I knew it reported facts, but it tried to reach me in a hopeful way.

“... Didn't you love the things they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free,
Someday soon it's gonna be one day.
Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby,
Can you tell me where he's gone?
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill
With Abraham, Martin and John.”

Bass, guitar, harp ..... proceed to coda to the ethereal end........

Conversationalist

Masters of War ==== Bob Dylan

”... you have thrown the worst fear that can ever be hurled,

afraid to bring children into the world,

for threatening my baby unborn and unnamed,

you ain’t worth the blood that runs through your veins ...”

Conversationalist

Sorry about the disjointed previous post.  Too much Xmas and not enough experience with this posting stuff.

Anyway, the song is Apeman.  It was written by Ray Davies and performed by the Kinks.  Here’s the lyric:

I think I'm so educated and I'm so civilized
'Cause I'm a strict vegetarian
But with the over-population and inflation and starvation
And the crazy politicians
I don't feel safe in this world no more
I don't want to die in a nuclear war
I want to sail away to a distant shore
And make like an Apeman

Honored Social Butterfly

People Have the Power.  Patti Smith

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones (1969)

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

U2 The Blackout

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

U2   Get Out Of Your Own Way

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Plastic Ono Band   Power To The People

Regular Contributor

Right On!

Peace and Stay Free!
Honored Social Butterfly

Miley Cyrus  These Boots Are Made For Walkin'

Honored Social Butterfly

Plastic Ono Band  Give Peace A Chance

Regular Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA8N0xy3hjE

John Lennon - Woman Is The **bleep** Of The World

In light of recent developments in the news...

don't just think about it....

DO something about it

Peace and Stay Free!
Regular Contributor

thank you for the kudos much appreciated
Peace and Stay Free!
Regular Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX42_3ZKv8c

"Alabama Song" dedicated to Roy Moore... not to make light of his victims but just give us some truth and stop living in your own igorance and lies.

A little background on the song itself:  most people take this as drinking song or a glorification of pub crawls but such is not the case as the next two paragraphs will illustriate I hope. To wit:

The "Alabama Song" was written as a German poem and translated into idiosyncratic English for the author Bertolt Brecht by his close collaborator Elisabeth Hauptmann in 1925[1] and published in Brecht's 1927 Home Devotions (German: Hauspostille), a parody of Martin Luther's collection of sermons. It was set to music by Kurt Weill for the 1927 play Little Mahagonny (Mahagonny-Songspiel) and reused for Brecht and Weill's 1930 opera Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny (Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny), where it is sung by Jenny and her fellow prostitutes in Act I. Although the majority of all three works is in German, the "Alabama Song" retained Hauptmann's English lyrics throughout.

The song was recorded in 1966 by the rock group The Doors, listed as "Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)". The melody is changed and the verse beginning "Show me the way to the next little dollar..." is omitted. On the album version, lead singer Jim Morrison altered the second verse from "Show us the way to the next pretty boy" to "Show me the way to the next little girl"[5] but, on the 1967 Live at the Matrix recording, he sings the original "... next pretty boy".

Nevertheless its time to give it up Roy No-Moore.

And yes play it f'n LOUD!

Peace and Stay Free!
Trusted Contributor

Mitchell Trio sang it, too; I think it was on their "Slightly Irreverent" Album. Joe Frazier sang Brecht's words, I believe.

Also sang (on that same album), "With God on Our Side" (another Dylan song)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hell No I Ain't Gonna Go. Matt Jones

Honored Social Butterfly

U2   Bullet The Blue Sky

Periodic Contributor

Dear Mr President; Pink ...

Regular Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOeUpKCCSVQ

Hmmm... don't know why I am just getting a link but nothing else. The song is "Gun" performed by the late great Gil Scott Heron a lyrical prophet in his own time and beyond.

Brother man nowadays livin' in the ghetto

Where the dangers sure enough real.

Well when he's out late at night, and if he's got his head on right, Well, I lay you 9 to 5 he's walking with steel.

Brother Man says he's 'fraid of gangsters Messing with people just for fun He don't want to be next. He got a family to protect. So just last week he bought himself a gun.

Everybody got a pistol, everybody got a .45 And the philosophy seem to be, At least as near as I can see, When other folks give up theirs, I'll give up mine.

This is a violent civilization; If civilization's where I am. Every channel that I stop on Got a different kind of cop on Killing them by the million for Uncle Sam. Saturday night just ain't that special. Yeah, I got the constitution on the run. 'Cause even though we've got the right To defend our home, to defend our life, Got to understand to get it in hand about the guns.

Everybody's got a pistol. Everybody got a .45. The philosophy seems to be, At least as near as I can see, When other folks give up, I, I'll give up... Saturday night just ain't that special. Freedom to be afraid is all you want. Yes if you don't want to be next. You've got a family to protect. 9 out of 10, you've got a friend, you've got a gun.

Everybody got a pistol. Everybody got a .45. And the philosophy seems to be, At least as near as I can see, When other folks give up theirs, I'll give up mine.

Everybody got a pistol, this mosty be the NRA Yeah 'cause when it's time to line up You know **bleep** well they're gonna shine up Everybody... And the philosophy seem to be At least as near as I can see, When other folks give up theirs, I'll give up mine.

Are you ready to give up yours?

Peace and Stay Free!
Silver Conversationalist

"Warakurna" (and virtually anything else) by Midnight Oil. The Oils did take a hiatus. Lead singer Peter Garrett was elected to Australia's House of Representatives. He served as Minister for Environment Protection, Heritage, and the Arts, and then as Minister of School Education, Early Childhood and Youth. They did a few concerts during his time in office. They are now back in action.

https://youtu.be/RZ-JpUsfcqY

Honored Social Butterfly

I Ain't Marching Anymore.   Phil Ochs

Regular Contributor

Love Phil highly underrated overshadowed by Dylan back in the day. Another one gone much too soon. thanks!
Peace and Stay Free!
Trusted Contributor

Oh, indeed! Ever listen to his, "Iron Lady" (the Chair)? Whoof!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Bob Marley.  War. 

https://youtu.be/zmux03p7FgU

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP