No more wars, no more wars, no more war
Umm, just a little peace in this world
No more wars, no more war
All we want is some peace in this world

Info Seeker

Re: PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 241 (453 Views)

"For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield.  It's as relevant today as it was 40/50 years ago.  It was chilling to hear it played on Morning Joe the Monday after the Inauguration and the Women's March.  They showed scenes from the March all over the world and the words of David Crosby were as true in 2017 as they were in 1967.  "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 241 (476 Views)

Simon and Garfunkel's haunting rendition of Silent Night. Their song is backed by a newscast. It is a grim reminder that  bad things, such as war, disease, natural disaster, and death do not take a day off for Christmas.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 241 (498 Views)

LOL!

And DITTO!

FYI only: I was a member of SDS (RYM 1, "the teach-in" educational faction) and a student on the Kent State campus '68-'71. Yep, you could say I was exposed to many protest songs.

psssst.....don't tell anyone else. I'm still in hiding  :-)

PS.....those bullets just barely missed me...that was close.

And in the song "Ohio" CSN&Y ask "what if you knew her". I knew her.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 241 (501 Views)

LookOverYonder -- Thanks for that information.`I wasn't aware of The Weathermen's connection to the song.  I'm almost embarrassed to confess I remember it from an episode of "Murphy Brown".   I was in college during those times, so I heard of SDS and The Weathermen and also SNCC (Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee), but I was too busy studying and working my butt off to protest much of anything -- except for the lousy food in the cafeteria.  I'm glad you enjoy my posts.  I keep surprising myself with how many songs I can remember.  I've always been involved with music, but mostly Sacred and Show music.  This is fun. I love seeing what other posters come up with.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 241 (517 Views)

To Dragons3.......

Wow!  "Subterranean Homesick Blues" from you was a really great post. As for myself, I really dig that song, as I do many many Dylan ballads. But did you know this?.....during the sixties and seventies there was an organization comprised of thousands of university students and community activists all across the country known as SDS (Students for a Democratic Society) which fractured into two factions......RYM 1 and RYM 2 (Revolutionary Youth Movement). RYM 2 also took on the name of "The Weathermen". This seemingly illogical nickname was actually derived from "Subterranean Homesick Blues". A particularly declaritive verse states: "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows". Eventually they were referred to as "The Weather Underground". So if you are already aware of this background, I conjecture you were closer to the "movement" than most people became. I'm enjoying your posts very much, as I am many others as well. Thank you

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 241 (526 Views)

The Spirit Trail     Dan Fogelberg

This is a song written to acknowledge that the native nations of North America must continue struggling to survive the terror of the horrors of genocide inflicted upon them since 1492 by European invaders and the ongoing genocides which are continually being inflicted upon them at the hands of the merciless American land-grabbing conquerors.

They took the land. They took control.
They robbed my father of his very soul.....
To be like one of them.....to be like one of them.

But I was born a native son.
And I will never be another one.....
To give it all away.

I've got to walk the spirit trail

Let every creature I see

be a brother and a friend to me.
Let every step that I take

Leave the footprints of a warrior.....
Along the spirit trail.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 241 (530 Views)