ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Social Butterfly

Re: Glen Campbell, Dead at 81

Message 1 of 9

I enjoyed watching his show - pleasant music, smiling people, everyone clean-cut looking.  Where did people like Glen Campbell go?  It seems that today's shabbily-dressed, screaming singers (who often can't carry a tune), just didn't take heed and imitate him.  I feel sorry for the current generation who doesn't know the meaning of good music.  My favorite of Glenn Campbell's songs was Rhinestone Cowbow.  I can hear it in my mind.  Glenn Campbell was an inspiration for those with any memory-robbing disease - he never gave up, kept singing, and kept smiling.  He'll be missed.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 9

I saw an biography about Glen awhile ago.  The courage he showed to still entertain us was awesome.  He showed be a different type of respect for enterainers who give it their all.

What more can I say that all the previous comments have said already.

Glen, you will be missed.

RIP

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 9

Yes, I remember the tv show, and also had a few of his albums. It was a favorite at our house. He was a lovely person, charming personality, always smiling. I was amazed at how he kept going on the farewell concert tour. The music never seemed to leave him.

Gentle on My MInd, Galveston, Less of Me, Try a Little Kindness, Southern Nights, Rhinestone Cowboy, just a few of my favorites.

RIP

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9

I owned a few of Glen Campbell's albums back in the 70's. I always enjoyed watching his TV variety show"Glen Campbell Good Time Hour" which aired on CBS '69-'72.. My favorite pop composer,Jimmy Webb wrote many of his hits 'By The Time I Get To Phoenix,Witchita Lineman,Where's The PLayground Susie".One of Glen's last CD,"Ghost on The Canvas' is quite good. His voice is still strong.

R.I.P. Glen,you'll be missed

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 9

Loved  his  songs  "Gentle  On  My  Mind" ,  "Galveston" ,  and  "Try  A  Little  Kindness".  He  always  seemed  to  have  a  pleasant , happy-go-lucky  personality  whenever  I  saw  him  on  TV.   RIP

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 9

retiredtraveler wrote:

I recall seeing an interview with him and the band on the farewell tour. His daughter spoke of how she had to assist him with the song order and some other directions, due to the dementia. But, as the story noted, once he started the song, the memory just kicked in.      

It is so sad to see the effects of some of these diseases on a person.  Will always remember him young and singing 😔

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 9

I recall seeing an interview with him and the band on the farewell tour. His daughter spoke of how she had to assist him with the song order and some other directions, due to the dementia. But, as the story noted, once he started the song, the memory just kicked in.      

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 8 of 9

In his heyday he was hugely popular. A great voice.   

RIP

Glen Campbell, Dead at 81

Message 9 of 9

Glen Campbell, 'Rhinestone Cowboy' Singer Who Fused Country and Pop, Dead at 81

Glen Campbell, the indelible voice behind 21 Top 40 hits including "Rhinestone Cowboy," "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," died Tuesday. He was 81. A rep for Universal Music Group, Campbell's record label, confirmed the singer's death to Rolling Stone. During a career that spanned six decades, Campbell sold over 45 million records. In 1968, one of his biggest years, he outsold the Beatles.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/glen-campbell-dead-at-81?utm_source=rsnewsletter&utm_medium...