Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Fingertips - Harmonica in Pop and Rock Songs

Conversationalist

Fingertips - Harmonica in Pop and Rock Songs

June 22, 1963, little Stevie Wonder first entered the US singles chart. His song, also featuring a young Marvin Gaye on drums, was not only the first live non-studio musical recording to reach No.1 , it also made him the youngest solo performer to ever reach No.1, actually only 12 years old when the song was recorded.

His song provides the theme for todayโ€™s blog and playlist, songs that feature the harmonica. Harmonica, also known as the French harp or mouth organ, is a free reed wind instrument used prominently in folk music, jazz, country, classical music, and rock. Stevie is highlighted in both his solo career as well as his collaborations with the likes of Dion Warwick, Elton John, Sting, Eurythmics, James Taylor, and even Snoop Dog and Jason Derulo, among many others.

Artists with several songs on the list include: The Beatles with โ€œLove Me Do,โ€ โ€œFrom Me To You,โ€ โ€œShould Have Known Better,โ€ and โ€œRocky Racoon;โ€ Led Zeppelin with โ€œWhen the Levee Breaks,โ€ โ€œBring It On Home,โ€ and โ€œNobodyโ€™s Fault But Mine;โ€ Bruce Springsteen with โ€œThunder Road,โ€ โ€œThe River,โ€ โ€œThe Promised Land,โ€ โ€œSpare Parts,โ€ as well as the Yardbirds, Creedence Clearwater Revival, J. Geils Band, and Elton John with several songs on the list, and Billy Joel with โ€œBallad of Billy the Kid,โ€ โ€œPiano Man,โ€ and โ€œLeave a Tender Moment Alone.โ€ Obviously Bob Dylan also features prominently on the list with many songs from his repertoire.

Other notable popular songs featuring harmonica include Supertrampโ€™s โ€œTake The Long Way Home,โ€ Neil Youngโ€™s โ€œHeart of Gold,โ€ The Holliesโ€™ โ€œHe Ainโ€™t Heavy, Heโ€™s My Brother,โ€ The Young Rascalsโ€™ โ€œGroovinโ€™,โ€ The Carpentersโ€™ โ€œRainy Days & Mondays,โ€ U2โ€™s โ€œTrip Through Your Wires,โ€ Romanticsโ€™ โ€œWhat I Like About You,โ€ Culture Clubโ€™s โ€œKarma Cameleon,โ€ Blues Travelerโ€™s โ€œRun Around,โ€ The Doorsโ€™ โ€œRoadhouse Blues,โ€ Doobie Brothersโ€™ โ€œLong Train Runninโ€™,โ€ Stingโ€™s โ€œShape of My Heart,โ€ and Canned Heatโ€™s โ€œOn The Road Again.โ€ Grunge and alternative music bands Alice in Chains, Temple Of The Dog, Pearl Jam, Motorhead, Foo Fighters, and Dave Matthews Band as well as metal greats Guns โ€˜N Roses, Poison, Motley Crue, Great White, and Black Sabbath even made the list.

Lastly, Larry Adler, classical harmonica great, is featured collaborating with artists including Sting, Elton John, Cher, Kate Bush, Meat Loaf, and Peter Gabriel, among others.

I hope that this music and my blog truly serve as a โ€œrevival: a new presentation of something old,โ€ a springboard to return to the music of your youth, or perhaps to find artists you want to discover anew.  Rediscover the passion of music in your life. Live in the moment. Enjoy the moment. Love the moment. Listen to the MUSIC!

https://listentothemusicblog.com/fingertips-pop-rock-songs-featuring-harmonica/

Honored Social Butterfly

Excellent playlist! Great mix of songs Iโ€™ve loved

for forever! So glad to see the Fab 4๏ธโƒฃ well

represented! ๐ŸŽผ๐Ÿ’œ

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Please tell me that Alvinโ€™s Harmonica made the list! ๐Ÿฟ๏ธ ๐Ÿฟ๏ธ ๐Ÿฟ๏ธ  

๐Ÿ˜ธ

IMG_0062.gif

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Thereโ€™s no playlist on your blog to access

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

oops, sorry - added ๐Ÿ™‚ 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP