Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Favorite Music Videos or What are You Watching?

Honored Social Butterfly

Favorite Music Videos or What are You Watching?

Sure we all (well those of us in this group at least for sure) like to listen to our favorite music, but have you stopped to appreciate the music videos that go with much of this music.. well since they came into prominence in the 80's  thanks to MTV  when we could all watch our favorite musicians and the great productions began.

There are so many fabuous music videos out there that you should really take a look at.  Which ones are your favorites?

MTV Logo 2010.svg

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I have a million favorites and I hope you do too!

Starting with 

5:21

Music video by Soundgarden performing Black Hole Sun. (C) 1994 A&M Records.

The surreal and apocalyptic music video for "Black Hole Sun" was directed by Howard Greenhalgh,[23] produced by Megan Hollister for Why Not Films (London, England), shot by Ivan Bartos, and features post-production work by 525 Post Production (Hollywood, California) and Soho 601 Effects (London). The video follows a suburban neighborhood and its vain inhabitants with comically exaggerated grins, which are eventually swallowed up when the Sun suddenly turns into a black hole, while the band performs the song somewhere in an open field. In the video, Cornell can be seen wearing a fork necklace given to him by Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon.[3] In an online chat, the band stated that the video "was entirely the director's idea", and added, "Our take on it was that at that point in making videos, we just wanted to pretend to play and not look that excited about it."[24] Thayil said that the video was one of the few Soundgarden videos the band was satisfied with.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hole_Sun

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Losing my Religion    R.E.M.

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (Official Music Video)

The 1991 MTV Video Music Awards aired live on September 5, 1991, honoring the best music videos from June 2, 1990, to June 15, 1991. The show was hosted by Arsenio Hall at the Universal Amphitheatre in Los Angeles.

This year saw the introduction of a new category, Best Long Form Video; however, this category would not be handed out again until the 2016 ceremony where it was renamed Breakthrough Long Form Video. Meanwhile, the award for Best Post-Modern Video was renamed Best Alternative Video.

R.E.M. led the night both in awards and in nominations. Their video for "Losing My Religion" not only won Video of the Year, but it also took home a total of six awards, making them the biggest winners of the night. Furthermore, R.E.M.'s ten nominations also made them the most nominated artist that night and "Losing My Religion" the most nominated video of the night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_MTV_Video_Music_Awards

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hungry  Like  The  Wolf

Sledgehammer   by  Peter  Gabriel

Don't  Come  Around  Here  No  More

Mama  and  Robbery, Assault  and  Battery  by  Genesis

Honored Social Butterfly

@ls1873 wrote:

Hungry  Like  The  Wolf

Sledgehammer   by  Peter  Gabriel

Don't  Come  Around  Here  No  More

Mama  and  Robbery, Assault  and  Battery  by  Genesis

I like your list. 

Sledgehammer was huge!!  

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer (HD version)

https://youtu.be/OJWJE0x7T4Q

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

#AeroHistory: September 2, 1997 MTV Video Music Award: “Fallin in Love (is Hard on the Knees)” Best Rock Video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3BaVSjFWZbY

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sting:  "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You"

Kate Bush:  "The Sensual World"

Tori Amos:  "Flavor"

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Honored Social Butterfly

Aerosmith - Cryin'
AerosmithVEVO

1994 MTV Video Music Awards
Video of The Year: Cryin'
Viewer's Choice Award: Cryin'
Best Group Video: Cryin'

The music video for the song, directed by Marty Callner, features the first appearance of Alicia Silverstone in the band's videos, as well as the band performing in the Central Congregational Church in Fall River, Massachusetts. The song flashes back and forth between the band and Alicia Silverstone, who plays a teen who has a falling out with her boyfriend (played by Stephen Dorff) after catching him cheating. She feigns an attempt to kiss him, but instead leans away annoying him. She then punches him and shoves him out of the car leaving him in the dust. She begins a phase of rebellion and individuality and gets a navel piercing, which has largely been credited as introducing navel piercing to mainstream culture.[15] After having her purse stolen by another young man (played by then-unknown Josh Holloway of Lost), she chases him down and knocks him to the ground. The video then cuts to her standing on the edge of an overpass bridge, contemplating jumping. Her ex-boyfriend arrives on the scene, along with numerous police officers, encouraging her to come down from the overpass. She jumps, but a rope is revealed, arresting her fall and leaving her dangling over the freeway, laughing at Dorff's character. The video ends with the dangling Silverstone looking up at Dorff and giving him the finger.

The video was a smash success on MTV, becoming one of the most requested videos in 1993, and earning the band several awards at the Video Music Awards.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP