Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Reply
Respected Social Butterfly
Posts: 35,170
Registered: ‎02-27-2008

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

Message 1 of 23 (42 Views)

jims730656 wrote:

rc8149 wrote:

WOW.    Must be great being a DJ.   All that  'MUSIC' around you.

I agree that being alone with all that music, talking with poeple, that is the

best!!  I wonder why I never thought of being a DJ.  I guess I missed the boat

on that one.  So here is a couple of quick qrestions for jims....

What was the most requested song that you played, and was there ever a

reason you had to turn down a request.    And did you ever meet any of the

artist's of the records that you played.   I'll be listening to (or reading) all

the stories you can tell.

Thank You

:-)


I almost missed the boat myself.  Back when we were around 16, everybody wanted to be Sean Connery or John Wayne.  I wanted to be Dan Ingram, the best DJ in all of New York.  I went so far as to build my own radio station (1/10 of a watt with a signal that went all of five blocks).

 

But then real life snuck up on me.  Job, family and the lack of opportunity to intern at a station.  So I had to put that on the back burner until I retired and was scraping the bottom of 60.  But now I'm in my 6th year at a powerful non-commercial station and I play what I WANT (joy!) from 1-4am every Saturday night.  And because I play from my own collection my audience onbviously knows what i play and thyey know what kind of music to ask for when they call in requests/dedications.

 

Unfortunately, I don't get to see many of the acts I play anymore because these tracks are mostly LPs from the 60s and 70s so many of them are out of the business or dead.

But some of them were kind enough to do promos for the show and I had a (phone) relationship with some of them, such as Carmine Appice from Vanilla Fudge, two very nice guys from The Tubes and when we went to Woodstock recently to see Chicago and The Doobie Brothers, Chicago's management was nice enough to spot us two VIP passes for a meet and greet (great bunch of regular  guys) and the founding members (in their 70s) can still rock a house.

 

I can't name a most-requested track, but the most requested artists would probably be The Who, Little Feat and Steely Dan from people as far away as Philadelphia and Baltimore.

 

It's probably the most enjoyable and rewarding long-term thing I've ever done even though, aside from enjoying the music itself, the job is pretty routine.

 

But there are still a couple of ways to get into this, even at the age of most AARP members.  Drop me a PM and I'll make a coupe of suggestions if you still have the radio bug.

 

Which reminds me that I have to go offline and get a few hours of shuteye.  I get home around 5am and have an event to go to around noon tomorow (dead man walking).


Thank you for sharing your story...  boy DJ's were the gods of music in my youth..   Alan Freed,  Wolfman Jack   We listened to the radio all of the time driving around and playing that music.  We spent a lot of time in cars back then LOL

 

Kid Leo   WMMS  The Buzzard Cleveland Ohio  and  Murray Saul  The Get Down Man..  they brought Cleveland back..  Kid Leo was a big part of bring the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame to Cleveland  and WMMS  was it!  Everyone had that sticker on their car.  thanks for that walk down memory lane!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Silver Conversationalist
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎09-08-2017

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 23 (113 Views)

rc8149 wrote:

WOW.    Must be great being a DJ.   All that  'MUSIC' around you.

I agree that being alone with all that music, talking with poeple, that is the

best!!  I wonder why I never thought of being a DJ.  I guess I missed the boat

on that one.  So here is a couple of quick qrestions for jims....

What was the most requested song that you played, and was there ever a

reason you had to turn down a request.    And did you ever meet any of the

artist's of the records that you played.   I'll be listening to (or reading) all

the stories you can tell.

Thank You

:-)


I almost missed the boat myself.  Back when we were around 16, everybody wanted to be Sean Connery or John Wayne.  I wanted to be Dan Ingram, the best DJ in all of New York.  I went so far as to build my own radio station (1/10 of a watt with a signal that went all of five blocks).

 

But then real life snuck up on me.  Job, family and the lack of opportunity to intern at a station.  So I had to put that on the back burner until I retired and was scraping the bottom of 60.  But now I'm in my 6th year at a powerful non-commercial station and I play what I WANT (joy!) from 1-4am every Saturday night.  And because I play from my own collection my audience onbviously knows what i play and thyey know what kind of music to ask for when they call in requests/dedications.

 

Unfortunately, I don't get to see many of the acts I play anymore because these tracks are mostly LPs from the 60s and 70s so many of them are out of the business or dead.

But some of them were kind enough to do promos for the show and I had a (phone) relationship with some of them, such as Carmine Appice from Vanilla Fudge, two very nice guys from The Tubes and when we went to Woodstock recently to see Chicago and The Doobie Brothers, Chicago's management was nice enough to spot us two VIP passes for a meet and greet (great bunch of regular  guys) and the founding members (in their 70s) can still rock a house.

 

I can't name a most-requested track, but the most requested artists would probably be The Who, Little Feat and Steely Dan from people as far away as Philadelphia and Baltimore.

 

It's probably the most enjoyable and rewarding long-term thing I've ever done even though, aside from enjoying the music itself, the job is pretty routine.

 

But there are still a couple of ways to get into this, even at the age of most AARP members.  Drop me a PM and I'll make a coupe of suggestions if you still have the radio bug.

 

Which reminds me that I have to go offline and get a few hours of shuteye.  I get home around 5am and have an event to go to around noon tomorow (dead man walking).

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 1,037
Registered: ‎09-01-2014

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

Message 3 of 23 (130 Views)

WOW.    Must be great being a DJ.   All that  'MUSIC' around you.

I agree that being alone with all that music, talking with poeple, that is the

best!!  I wonder why I never thought of being a DJ.  I guess I missed the boat

on that one.  So here is a couple of quick qrestions for jims....

What was the most requested song that you played, and was there ever a

reason you had to turn down a request.    And did you ever meet any of the

artist's of the records that you played.   I'll be listening to (or reading) all

the stories you can tell.

Thank You

:-)

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 1,362
Registered: ‎10-09-2009

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

Message 4 of 23 (145 Views)

jims730656 wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

Boy  I would say you have been more than fortunate !!  So how did you end up in that small room?

 

 


No, it's not my room in the mental hospital (although some might think I belong there).

I'm a late-night Disc Jockey at a local FM station and that small room is the broadcast studio once a week.  I think it was legendary New York DJ, Pete Fornatale, who once said this was either the best job in the world, or the worst.  If you're happy being all alone in that little room, playing the music you love and talking to people who will never see you or respond, it's definitely  the best.

 

The show is called "My Generation" because I am lucky enough to play only music from my 22,000+ track collection (60s and 70s album rock-which actually  IS my generation)  so I always like what I play.  And I have killer studio monitor speakers to listen to.


Bravo! Sounds like a great job to me! 

Silver Conversationalist
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎09-08-2017

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 23 (153 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

Boy  I would say you have been more than fortunate !!  So how did you end up in that small room?

 

 


No, it's not my room in the mental hospital (although some might think I belong there).

I'm a late-night Disc Jockey at a local FM station and that small room is the broadcast studio once a week.  I think it was legendary New York DJ, Pete Fornatale, who once said this was either the best job in the world, or the worst.  If you're happy being all alone in that little room, playing the music you love and talking to people who will never see you or respond, it's definitely  the best.

 

The show is called "My Generation" because I am lucky enough to play only music from my 22,000+ track collection (60s and 70s album rock-which actually  IS my generation)  so I always like what I play.  And I have killer studio monitor speakers to listen to.

Respected Social Butterfly
Posts: 35,170
Registered: ‎02-27-2008

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

Message 6 of 23 (166 Views)

I have been to a lot of concerts and events in my lifetime.  Hard to pick favorites but some stand out...

 

One of my favorites was  Chris Cornell  alone at a local high school.  The place as you can  imagine was packed but silent while he performed.  He stood on that stage and sang a playlist and then did requests for a very long time.  It was wonderful.  He had an incredible voice and presence.  Still so hard to believe that he is gone.  

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly
Posts: 35,170
Registered: ‎02-27-2008

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

Message 7 of 23 (169 Views)

rc8149 wrote:

Thank you all for the nice kudo's and complments

about my music stories.

 

I like to share a concert that I went with a friend to

see up in Buffalo NY about 5 years ago.   This was the

   'DIVINE MS. M".....................

Bette Midler put on such a show,  You would have to

know about her beginnings and her humor to really

understand her when she is not singing.  I will tell people

that if you are embarssed easy, be prepared. If you

remember when she did a comedy act dressed in a

mermaid outfit getting around in a wheel chair. ( She

has no legs, so she decided on that type of wheels)

Her stage name for that act was Delores De Lago

And her 3 girls are all in the same mermaid outfits.

And the same type of "hot" wheels..

She actually had a two part show.  WOW,  That doesn,t

happen often.  I remember when she was in an evening

gown, laying on the floor, and telling political jokes.

What a diva...Can you see Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand,

Cher, Celine Dion, or any other  "diva" doing her act.

Not happening in my life time. Her singing is just awesome.

Her stage presence is a Wow Factor.  And she is a great

humanitarian.  That's a real plus in my book..

Really------------Who else could live up to the name

THE DIVINE MS.M

Thanks for letting me share this with you,  That makes my

night when I'm able to relive my memories and share them

with my online friends..  

If any one else has been to a concert, please let me know

and I can say wow, I missed that show. (maybe a little jealous

on my part)--(that's a good thing)..Someone once said

sharing is caring..........

PEACE

 

 

 


Great memories and thanks for sharing!!  Who is next on your list??

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly
Posts: 35,170
Registered: ‎02-27-2008

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

Message 8 of 23 (171 Views)

jims730656 wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

I would guess that most of us would agree with this.   

 

How about you?

 

 


I know *I* sure agree.  Music has always been a big part of my life and I've been fortunate to see perhaps a couple of  hundred  shows with A-list bands in my life (as well as several dozen more shows of local and regional acts).

 

Music, live or recorded, has always had a positive effect on me, and I have to say that every week, standing in a small room all by myself between 1 and 4am are often the best three hours of my week.  Even the requests on the phone are for  great tracks.


Boy  I would say you have been more than fortunate !!  So how did you end up in that small room?

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Silver Conversationalist
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎09-08-2017

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

Message 9 of 23 (200 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

I would guess that most of us would agree with this.   

 

How about you?

 

 


I know *I* sure agree.  Music has always been a big part of my life and I've been fortunate to see perhaps a couple of  hundred  shows with A-list bands in my life (as well as several dozen more shows of local and regional acts).

 

Music, live or recorded, has always had a positive effect on me, and I have to say that every week, standing in a small room all by myself between 1 and 4am are often the best three hours of my week.  Even the requests on the phone are for  great tracks.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 1,037
Registered: ‎09-01-2014

Re: Don't worry. Go to a concert and be happy!

Message 10 of 23 (246 Views)

Thank you all for the nice kudo's and complments

about my music stories.

 

I like to share a concert that I went with a friend to

see up in Buffalo NY about 5 years ago.   This was the

   'DIVINE MS. M".....................

Bette Midler put on such a show,  You would have to

know about her beginnings and her humor to really

understand her when she is not singing.  I will tell people

that if you are embarssed easy, be prepared. If you

remember when she did a comedy act dressed in a

mermaid outfit getting around in a wheel chair. ( She

has no legs, so she decided on that type of wheels)

Her stage name for that act was Delores De Lago

And her 3 girls are all in the same mermaid outfits.

And the same type of "hot" wheels..

She actually had a two part show.  WOW,  That doesn,t

happen often.  I remember when she was in an evening

gown, laying on the floor, and telling political jokes.

What a diva...Can you see Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand,

Cher, Celine Dion, or any other  "diva" doing her act.

Not happening in my life time. Her singing is just awesome.

Her stage presence is a Wow Factor.  And she is a great

humanitarian.  That's a real plus in my book..

Really------------Who else could live up to the name

THE DIVINE MS.M

Thanks for letting me share this with you,  That makes my

night when I'm able to relive my memories and share them

with my online friends..  

If any one else has been to a concert, please let me know

and I can say wow, I missed that show. (maybe a little jealous

on my part)--(that's a good thing)..Someone once said

sharing is caring..........

PEACE