Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Does Music Make Life Better?

More than 70% of Americans 45 and older say music has helped them through a difficult time in their lives, according to a survey published earlier this month by marketing research/data analytics firm YouGov.

While music appears to be a motivator for the majority of people, it was particularly high for older Americans.   More from AARP >> https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/music/info-2017/music-improve-life-fd.html

What song got you through your most difficult time and why?

Sandy

Bronze Conversationalist

Life would be humdrum without music.  My parents both played piano, and at age 6 my piano lessons began. High school curriculum included singing in the glee club and Gilbert & Sullivan performing group.  When I married and my sons were born and started banging on the piano, I gave them lessons.  At  age 58, my older son still plays piano and has inherited my mother's parlor grand.  My younger son used to watch the Lawrence Welk show with us, and decided he'd rather play accordion than piano, so I arranged for him to have lessons.  He performed in his first recital with a big smile on his face.   When my sons were older I went to work at a music store and was introduced to the baroque recorder.  With a piano background it was easy to learn to play, and eventually I formed a recorder ensemble.  We performed at Renaissance Faires all up and down the west coast.  My violinist and I were even invited to perform for the high tea and the Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia, the highlight of my career.  Music has always been part of my life.

After I retired (I ended up working for the local government)  I decided to go back to school and get a degree.  The subject of my bachelor's degree thesis was "Music Therapy as a Drug-free approach to Health and Healing".  The dean of the college had a brother-in law who had Alzheimer's Disease and was in a special care facility.  In my research I'd found that people with any form of dementia often respond to music even when they are oblivious to anything else around them.  The dean recorded his brother-in-law's favorite music and then put headphones on the man and let him listen to the music he loved.  The dean said for the first time in a long time, the brother- in-law smiled, and started moving back and forth to the rhythm of the music.  Music made the man come alive!  That was proof that music makes life better for everyone, no matter what the emotional or mental state they're in.    

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Absolutely   x 1000!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Without a doubt!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Music makes all things better. I love smooth jazz. Anytime I'm feeling down I just tune in and let the music take me to a better place. I love the many instruments. Just so soothing. I also listen to ocean and thunderstorm sounds with soft music playing in the background. I usually play that in the evening when I go to bed. Very soothing and helps me sleep.

Absolutely.  I don't play a lick but I sing in my church choir.  I moved last year but won't change churches because of that.  I'd like to write songs but there is so much to learn.  Music is a language of love, sadness, happiness.  My favorites are Asia (RIP John Wetton), Santana, Deep Purple (RIP Jon Lord).  I still buy their new CD recordings despite format changes, social and other media changes, popular style changes.  Another fave is NY's Micheal Stanley.  Music takes me away from the everyday grey into a place where I can pretend to play drums or keyboards just for fun.  Music lets me feel joy or even cry when I hear it.

Social Butterfly

WE KNOW MUSIC CAN HEAL IN MANY WAYS- JUST READ A GREAT ARTICLE/INTERVIEW W/ A NOTED(NEUROLOGIST?) STROKE DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSED THE POWER OF MUSIC TO HELP APHASIA VICTIMS REGAIN THEIR VOICES. HE ALSO DISCUSSES THE AMAZING HUMAN BRAIN & ITS RESPONSE TO MUSIC IN MORE THAN ONE PLACE( IN THE BRAIN).
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Regular Social Butterfly

I have heard that also. I laugh and tell my husband if I am ever in a coma put my IPod up to my ear and just play my music. Then pray I never need it.
I was seriously sick in 2016 in the Hosp. for 2 weeks so I listened to my IPod then to help me sleep.
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Periodic Contributor

That sounds like a great idea. With all the craziness going on soothing music truly helps the soul. After a hectic day a nice bubble bath, some smooth jazz , candle light and a nice glass of wine works also.

Social Butterfly

AMEN TO ALL OF THAT!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I listen to my radio at work all day long (turned low). It keeps things calm. ❤️

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

ALMOST TOO MANY TO LIST, BUT I'LL START W/ALANNIS MORISETTE'S "YOU OUGHTA KNOW" HELPING ME DIRECT MY HURT THROUGH A NASTY BREAKUP. & LUCINDA WILLIAMS "CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD" SENDING ME OFF TO SLEEP HAPPILY IN LOVE THE NEXT TIME( AFTER NASTY BREAKUP) OBLA-DI, O-BLA-DA, LIFE GOES ON- BRA"!
Contributor

I love country music because the words and singing are important to me. I grew up singing while I was swinging on our backyard swing set. Surprised no one ever stopped me or complained. Country favorites within the last decade are "The Dance" by Garth Brooks, and "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw.
But also with all the violence in the world, one of my very favorite songs has always been "Let There Be Peace on Earth", and when I hear children singing it, it brings tears to my eyes.
Contributor

Songs for difficult times in my life:

ballads by Patsy Cline

”A Song for You” and “Manhattan Island Serenade” by Leon Russell

”Goddamn Lonely Love” by the Drive By Truckers Written by Jason Isbell

”The River” by Joni Mitchell

”Compassion” and “If I Have to be Alone” by Todd Rundgren

”La Traviata” by Verdi esp. Un di, felice, eterea and Sempre libera. 

Contributor

I cannot conceive of life without music.  Leon Russell was/is my number 1 music hero, closely followed by Todd Rundgren, David Bowie and Pat Metheny.  And Richard Thompson.  And Jason Isbell.  And Joni Mitchell.  And Leonard Cohen.  And Debussy.  And Art Tatum.  And Sonny Rollins.  And Buddy Guy.  And Lester Young.  And Mozart. And Verdi.  And ...so it goes.  

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Add Tom Petty to that list!
Periodic Contributor

Music has been incredibly important to me since I was a child. My mom's family all played musical instruments so she was very dedicated to having all 6 of us children learn something even though we were poor and getting a clarinet or trumpet, which were the most affordable, was tough. I was probably 12 when I got my first transister radio and remember listening to Casey Kasem's countdown espically the year end and the top 100 were listed and some were played. My music tastes have expanded to jazz and blues but I still listen to rock and make a point of hearing new music. My husband and I still have some of our old vinyl and seek out record stores when travelling. A new "used" vinyl record from a new town is our only memento we need to bring home. We have lots of fun pulling out the records to play. I can't imagine my life without music.

Regular Contributor

Yes, coming from a musical family, my life has always been surrounded by music.   We are blessed to be surrounded with many musician friends & that brings us that much closer.   I have never underestimated the power of music & the joy it brings to my life.

Regular Contributor

Coming from a musical family, my life has always been surrounded by music.    A bad day is made better with the right music & a good day is even better when that special song plays.    We are blessed to be surrounded by a network of friends who are musicians & music brings us that much closer.   

Contributor

Yes I remember Barry Sadler of the green barets. Very good singer.

Regular Contributor

Definitely....Bob Seger and the Silver Bullets, Good Tme Rock and Roll.   No matter my mood....this makes me dance.

Periodic Contributor

YES!   There is a song for everything!  Different situations will make you think of a song.  Music is one of the greatest thangs on this Earth!  I listen to Classic Rock most of the time.  I like almost every other kind of music, but there's some that I can NOT stand to listen to...

When I'm feeling down I like to listen to Tennessee Ernie Ford's gospel songs. Those really pick up my mood. I also love black gospel music, especially if I can see the singers and/or choir singing. I get this feeling of people that truly are loving, caring, and respectful of each other, kind of like a family. I don't have a family, and maybe this is why I like it so much. Whatever the reason, gospel music is really an amazing thing to experience. I also enjoy "old" C & W , rock-n-roll, marching bands, 80's, and pop instrumental music. I'm not sure which genre Paul Thorn or Todd Snyder are classified as, but, in my book, you can't get much better than these guys. 

Periodic Contributor

Wow, your post really touched me.  You don't have a family?  I am sorry to hear that.  But your love of music shines through.  I agree that it can really move you.  It's funny, at dinner tonight, my daughter asked "what if you can't listen to music".  My reponse was "then there is no reason to live".  I certainly don't want to expire yet, but that is my appreciation and love of music.  I love that music touches you a lot too.

Thank you for such a cool post!

Periodic Contributor

Were you responding to me?  This is the first night that I have commented & I have no idea how this works!  Help please!  Thanks!

Periodic Contributor

I don't know if I was reponding to any one person.  I am new to this forum too.  I do like reading the things people are posting about music though!

Bronze Conversationalist

@JamesBenner - If you want to respond to a certain person, do as I did and put the @ and then their name or whatever logo they're using. I love music too, both listening and playing.
Bronze Conversationalist

While some people groan when it rains, my husband and I always go for an early morning walk in it.  As soon as we start walking, we start singing "Just singing in the rain".  We never get through the whole song without forgetting the words, but it gives us a good laugh.  It really lifts our spirits. I'm convinced that music lifts the spirits, whether a person is singing it, playing a musical instrument, or listening to music.  

I also have a Crosley player that plays vinyl records, CDs and cassettes.  I still have my 33, 45 and 78 rpm records from the 1950s and they never fail to lift our spirits, listening to decent music by people who could really sing.  

Periodic Contributor

That's a great lil story!  May I ask how long have you 2 been married?  

Bronze Conversationalist

@GEJANE: We're senior citizens but have been married just over 20 years. Still act like kids sometimes!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP