AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Do You Stick With the Rock of Your Youth?

Message 31 of 43

A very tangential question - A friend of mine has an ipod, with all her songs loaded on it. But they seem to be random, and she's got to scroll thru the list of songs, to find something. I was surprised that there's no "search" feature, where you can look something up by a keyword or artist's name. Is that how they're supposed to work, or hasn't she set it up right?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 32 of 43

ASTRAEA wrote:

I've never been in-synch with the music of my time! Until I was an adult, I liked classical music, with some folk on the side. Then I dated someone who was into rock, and fell in love with Queen .. which some people might say is more classically symphonic than average rock.

Do you keep up with newer music that "the kids" like? I find most of it more of rhythm value than melody. Every once in a while someone great comes along .. like Adele. Last week I was at the salon, and heard something very bluesy that I loved .. came home & did some research: "Take Me to Church" by Hozier: Take Me To Church - Hozier.

Also love the group Fun. & singer Nate Ruess: We Are Young.

I wish there was a general category here for other music; not sure what "Rock" includes any more!

Another great topic.. and the answer is no...  I will just add to an endless playlist : )  I like just about every kind of music.. but rock will always be my favorite as it was the music of my "formative years" : )  Zep, Aerosmith, Floyd, metal!!  and big band because my dad played it endlessly!

ZEPPELIN   no better   https://youtu.be/hW_WLxseq0o

Rock on!  

btw  Hozier is great!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 43

@ASTRAEA - good topic - thanks for posting it.

I am open to new music & new artists, but don't actively search out new sounds, so don't get exposure that I need, to be knowledgeable & selective about newer music, for the most part - my loss, I admit.

To me, music needs to have melody, so I generally don't go for rhythmic music that has little or no melody. (My dad & I used to refer to our preference as "liking music with a round sound.")  There's plenty of new, melodic music out there, so I don't see that as an impediment to finding new music to enjoy.

Much of my music listening is done while driving around in my car.  I tend to stick with old favorites, particularly from 60's & 80's, & I often throw a little 70's into the mix.  But my go-to sound anytime, anywhere is Beach Boys' songs from back in their heyday.  I may listen to other artists & songs, but I always return to my beloved Beach Boys!    

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 34 of 43

Oh, yes, I still stay with the rock of my youth.  I still listen to The Beatles.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 43

Good topic! I still enjoy listening to the folk and rock music of the 50's-60's-70's that I grew up with, but not so much on a regular basis. I really like the new Classical-Pop crossovers that I discovered watching PBS (The Tenors, Il Divo, David Garrett) and Celtic music when the mood strikes.

I don't follow the new rock-pop or the artists, but started to watch The Voice a while back and discovered some "new" songs through the show that I enjoy. Sometimes I hear new music while shopping that I enjoy, but rarely bother to find it on-line.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 43

i like may types of music and there is some new music i like, but alot of it sounds the same. my go to music is rock from 60's, 70's and 80's.

dont take life too serious
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 43

The store that I work in has a receiving area. Great to hide in but they play their own station over the store muzak. Okay so the store muzak is something like "Mandy". In back of that is a rap about a young man with a Glock, and he knows he's not going to live too long, and he's feeling really down.

Rather than singing along you go into Mom Mode. Get rid of the weapon son, really you don't need it. Okay run don't walk out of the hood. If you can record this song you can do better than that. Okay, you don't want to be depressed with a gun...really you have to dump that somewhere.

Everyone else is still singing and I escape outside to Bad Company...

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 43

"...Do you keep up with newer music that "the kids" like? I find most of it more of rhythm value than melody....".

Definitely not for me. I listen to some of the old rock, but enjoy jazz which I usually stream from one of the online stations while on the PC (I have nice speaker system for PC). I primarily listened to the big band jazz my father was brought up on, with a lot of Dixieland thrown in. While driving or camping, a lot of symphonic music.

I like 'complex' music. Rock is just too 'simple' (meaning boring) for me in general. I miss all the fusion music that was so popular in late 60's, early 70's. Bands like Chase (all those horns), or BS&T, Chicago, Taj Mahal, Ides of March, Elvin Bishop, Lighthouse...... They actually had musicians in these groups.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 39 of 43

@loveabull said: ".. When did people stop having last names? .."

When everyone started thinking that if they said they had ADD/ADHD, it was OK to have the attention span of a flea. I guess they're lucky they can remember first names!

But don't forget Cher & Madonna. And if you said "Frankie" or "Elvis", people would know who you meant, even without a last name.

Message 40 of 43

The only one I liked is Imelda May; the others sounded all the same & boring .. sorry! Her voice has personality & the music complements her.