Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Changes in Auctions Lock Out Those Who Don't Know the Secret

Message 11 of 22 (800 Views)

Thank you for the Kudos.  I thought they would leave the power plays alone.  The community topics are hard to find from the first home page.  I wonder how many people read these.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 12 of 22 (792 Views)

I just went into the Wednesday things you can go for real fast and they put the same point business on that too.  I thought at least I could play that.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 13 of 22 (835 Views)

Thanks so much!

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 14 of 22 (821 Views)

HokiePoq wrote:

Thanks for the listing.  What was the 1200 one?

I know you've worked very hard to accumulate your points.  I completely agree about the way you are spending them.   I have never had that many but too much work went into your getting them to spend 171,100 points (current bid as I write this) for a $10 Walmart gift card.  Even under the old system I'd stop bidding on power plays when the value was a ratio over what I thought it was worth.

@HokiePoq It's weird how that 1,200 point quiz doesn't list with the task name. Sorry I didn't point that out and give you the function name. It's Money Savings Skills Quiz. The only trick to that one is that you have to have adblocker turned off. It renews each Sunday and at the first of the month.

Have fun!

PS You know it! I'm spending these points on something with a good value. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 15 of 22 (830 Views)

That is the challenging part to be there to bid and to enter bids not just one this way it is like we are playing the auctions and not AARP.  This new way takes the fun out of it and only a few can play and win always ( the ones with the very large amount of points).  I hope they go back to the old way of bidding so everyone has a fair chance of winning.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 16 of 22 (832 Views)

Thanks for the listing.  What was the 1200 one?

I know you've worked very hard to accumulate your points.  I completely agree about the way you are spending them.   I have never had that many but too much work went into your getting them to spend 171,100 points (current bid as I write this) for a $10 Walmart gift card.  Even under the old system I'd stop bidding on power plays when the value was a ratio over what I thought it was worth.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 17 of 22 (832 Views)

Thank you for the reply.  

However, one never had to sit at the system and hit a key over and over.  One only need be there as the auction closed.  Those who wasted time hitting the key over and over just inflated the total and had no better chance of winning.  

Not sure which industry this is competitive with......

I would be very interested, however, in knowing how so many people accumulated so many points.  One person has replied but I don't think that person's methods over a long period of time is what has caused the values to be so high.   People are doing things other than the things I do which are listed as ways to earn points.   Do those things and you'll never accumulate competitive points.

I suggest, as a compromise, to use the old system on Power Plays.  That would give everyone a chance.   It would be very interesting to look at "Account" on the bidders of those who win the half million point auctions.   Over a period of time I have won several auctions, always power plays.  It appears people like me are finished.  If people are earning points in non-listed ways, they will continue to do so.

Community Manager

Message 18 of 22 (830 Views)

@BarkleyHound 

The experience with auctions was changed to help  AARP  deliver an industry standard auction user experience.  I believe you will see the top bids coming down over the next several weeks as those who have the large point values spend down their points.  

I also wanted to highlight a benefit of this new user experience.  An auction bidder is now able to walk away from the computer and the system continues to bid for them.  You don't have to sit and hit the bid button over and over again.  The system automatically bids for the user up to their max bid. The user also gets an email notification when their max big has been outbid.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our Rewards for Good Auctions.  

AARP Online Community Team

AARPTeri
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 19 of 22 (844 Views)

@HokiePoq Listen, I hear your frustration. The Rewards for Good (R4G) auctions have a good many people frustrated. I avoid them because the points-to-merch value is just not good enough. Hey, it took me years to accrue 630,000 points. I'm spending them on better valued offers. Smiley Happy

I can't help you with the auctions, but do want to help you earn over 200 points each day, and over 2,000 points on Sunday and nearly 5,000 points at the first of the month. Sound good? Read on.

This image (below) shows what I earn Monday through Saturday. I do not have a fitbit, and do not have Flash installed on my computer, so cannot get points for watching videos. Also, I don't play any of the games (I understand some award points). 

weekday R4G earnings.png

There are tricks involved in getting the system to award you these points. Use these tricks and you'll earn daily points much faster.

Recipe

After you sign into your Rewards For Good account, use the search field to locate the recipes database. (Just input 'recipes' and it will be the 1st hit. Then search for whatever recipe you care to. I always input 'points', because it amuses me to do so. Smiley Happy)

Spanish Medicare Q & A

The Spanish language Medicare Q&A (15 points, middle of the graph) lets you input a search, only to then tell you the page cannot be found. Click your back button and wait for the points awarded pop-up to appear, then click on 'earn more points'. 

Talix Drug Tasks

As for the other daily points functions in that image, only Drugs A-Z is listed on the R4G points task page. Click on that function, earn the points, then rather than click on 'earn more points' in the pop-up, click the X in the upper right corner to dismiss the pop-up. You'll notice a right hand sidebar with other tasks listed. The Health Encyclopedia does not give points (at least I've not been able to get it to) and the Pill Identifier only gives points (75) at the first of the month and on Sunday. Talix, just so you know, is the company that partners with AARP to provide these points earning tasks.

More points-earning info on R4G (Seriously this will earn you a points bonanza!)

See this thread for more details about earning Rewards for Good points (you can re-work many of the tasks in Spanish ... being able to read Spanish might make things go more smoothly, but you don't have to know a word of Spanish to get the points.Smiley Happy)

http://community.aarp.org/t5/About-Our-Community/Quizzes-to-Earn-Points-AARP-Rewards-For-Goods/m-p/1...

Now, about Sundays. 

Quite a few tasks renew on Sunday. And of course there are tricks to getting the system to award some of these points. But take a look at what I earned this morning. (Hint: over 2,000 points) A couple tasks were not working properly, but I was pressed for time and haven't gotten back to earn those denied points, however this is pretty typical of my Sunday earnings. (there are two images) An aside: calling AARP to get denied points awarded is at least as frustrating (and time consuming) as just finding work arounds. So I do the latter.

Sunday Earning R4G page 1.png

Sunday Earnings page 2.png

You'll note that there are two 150 point entries for using the Health Law Guide. Did I cheat? Nope. I did the task once in English and then en Espanol (do this by clicking the link in the upper right corner once you've opened the English version.)

Monthly 5,000 point Windfall

Some tasks renew each month. I'll post screenshots detailing those tasks after the first of the month.

I trust learning these tricks will get you earning points at a far quicker rate. I wish you the best of luck on the auctions.

Epster

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 20 of 22 (868 Views)

I agree,  I've called in to voice my opinnion too. I don't like to complain but I love doing the auctions and check in several times a day.  Now I can't because there are so many people with thousands of points and that is the only way you can win even a 25 dollar gift card.  I hope they listen to everyone and go back to the old bidding, maybe this was just a short while doing this type of bidding--I hope so.