Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 81 of 100 (8,455 Views)

We've retired 'in place'. We have been in our one-and-only house for almost 37 years. I would love to have a place out in the Pacific Northwest, but most of our respective families live within an hour's drive. So, we're staying here. We are on a few acres, so I have been indulging in big-time gardening for a lot of years. We'll stay here until we physically cannot handle the property.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 82 of 100 (7,975 Views)

We are in Pennylvania now but want to go west to ski country and are looking for affordable suggestions.

Info Seeker

Message 83 of 100 (6,917 Views)
Our financial adviser told us, travel where you think you'd like to live, Rv or rent first. Once you make a move, you may be stuck. Some of his clients had bought in other states, after living there a couple years, hated it. Then couldn't sell. You don't want to get stuck. So we are traveling while we can. And after living in the Pacific Northwest rain, we know we don't want to live here. Expensive also. On a lighter note, you have everything in the state of Washington, great place to visit in the summer!
Info Seeker

Message 84 of 100 (6,773 Views)
Retired & left expensive Maryland to live much more comfortably in Hartwell, Ga.. With temperate climate, low cost of living, great golfing,. & beautiful Lake Hartwell,, Hart County Ga is known as "the best & friendliest little town by a dam site"! -- & that it is!!!
Info Seeker

Message 85 of 100 (6,111 Views)

We have retired and are looking to move to Mexico. We spent 3 months down there this year and absoluety loved it. We are going back down there for 2 months and then back again next year

Info Seeker

Message 86 of 100 (5,824 Views)
I love Oregon. Figure out what you want and needs are. Call the chamber of commerce in the city you are interested in and they can send you free information on the area. You can also order at a charge a relocation packet. I have always found this useful.
Info Seeker

Message 87 of 100 (5,646 Views)

I'm retired so we have been thinking of where to retire and concluded that we should stay put where we have are or move near where our children are.

As we get older and frail, family support is most important and if your children lives far away, it is hard on them and for yourselve.   

Info Seeker

Message 88 of 100 (5,643 Views)

If you are not going to continue living in your present home after retirement (not recommended if you chose your home rationally), move to Boise, ID.  Great climate with seasonal changes, relatively small community where people are friendly and helpful, and cheap (but getting more expensive with time).

Conversationalist

Message 89 of 100 (5,575 Views)
Although PA is beautiful it is quite expensive and winters are cold.
Info Seeker

Message 90 of 100 (5,703 Views)

My husband recently retired, we moved back to Maine to be close to our children, things are not going as planned and as crazy as it sounds we now wish we had stayed in Indiana.  Love being near the kids and grand kids but Maine is a very expensive state to live in.  Have considered Myrtle Beach but can't make up our minds.