Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 71 of 100 (2,752 Views)

How do you know in advance the level of government corruption in a community? My husband and I acquired a condo in Howell Michigan. It was to be our retirement dream home. Fortunately we decided to start with the basement and found out that the condo community only allows you to illegally finish the basements as they do not want the legally required egress windows. The city of Howell is complicit in this and creatively interpreted the building code on behalf of the condo community to say that partially finished basements are exempt and that if you take the doors off a bedroom is not a bedroom. Building  inspectors have told us that those statements are false. The city  also accepted letters from co-owners saying the work was done before 1/1/2009 when egress windows were required for any habitable basement space , not just bedrooms . We saw the work being done on one unit in 2013 but the city did not want to hear it from us and accepted a letter from the co-owner, a local business man, stating  that all they did was carpet and paint. These "exemptions" seem to be applied to Brandon Chase Condos only and not to everyone in Howell. In consulting a lawyer, we were advised that as "outsiders" we were unlikely win a case against the local "old guard" of Howell MI. We are deciding where to move to but how can you find out in advance that you won't be a second class citizen there? Michigan is lax on enforcements. Appealing to the State and state senator Joe Hune and Hank Vaupel did no good.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 72 of 100 (3,460 Views)

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, Northern CA and love it. But where we live a car is a necessity, and traffic is worsening. Being retired we can generally run errands or travel when it's non-commute hours, but once we stop driving it will change the entire scenario.

Our home is not possible to retrofit for universal access. The costs would simply not be worth it. It's extremely expensive to remodel here. 

We plan to stay in the area. When we can't keep up the house and garden any longer, we will either rent the house out or sell outright. We have done extensive financial planning so have looked at all our options should one of us become disabled or pass away. 

Our income is very comfortable and we have comprehensive LTCi policies. Our preference would be to move into a nearby CCRC, but it does have a costly buy-in so we'll have to decide if it's worth it. There are many other senior living options so a wealth of choices to investigate.

We have looked at eight nearby facilities but it's time to look out of our own neighborhood. Especially if we stop driving, it might be better to be nearer the other members of my family, who all live within a small geographic area about 20 min. away from us.

We could also move out of CA, so we are thinking to make some trips to the PNW and explore those options as well. 

Being socially and political liberal, we wish to remain within an ethnically and culturally diverse region. We're also serious foodies, so the more varied the restaurants, the better!

Super Social Butterfly

Message 73 of 100 (5,892 Views)

I love Asheville, NC.  It is in the mountains where summer is not too hot and there is little snow in winter. Fall and Spring are long and ideal.  Great Drs and Hospitals.  Homey and sophisticated at the same time.  Good places to eat.  It is a "with it" kind of place.  Diverse schools and a wonderful variety of active people.  

Problem is -- so many people want to live there cost of living is high and it is a Right to Work State resulting in low wages.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 74 of 100 (6,235 Views)

Rex1948 wrote:

I lived in Portland for 25 years and loved it. I've been away 7 years and wow it has gotten expensive. I want to be downtown where everything is at my fingertips and transport is so accessible. I am concerned about the cost though. I am wondering how to look for people with great places but who are getting priced out. If we shared it could be a win win. Any ideas?

This is an issue for everyone wanting to live a very desirable area.  You might try looking for condo rentals. You might have to go to each building that you are interested in and see what is available for sharing but in my ara, that is a common arrangement for college attendees.  Apartment  sharing is also common, check the online ads or check with the rental office.   Take care though because with sharing, there is no guarantee that the other person and you will be compatible and you also have to be careful when you draw up the financial sharing plans.  You don't want to be left holding the bag if someone decides to leave unexpectedly.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 75 of 100 (7,420 Views)

I lived in Portland for 25 years and loved it. I've been away 7 years and wow it has gotten expensive. I want to be downtown where everything is at my fingertips and transport is so accessible. I am concerned about the cost though. I am wondering how to look for people with great places but who are getting priced out. If we shared it could be a win win. Any ideas?

Recognized Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 76 of 100 (7,813 Views)

Hi,

Where is your home near Flagstaff?  Is it in the mountains?

Phoenix in the winter and Flagstaff in the summer...the best of both worlds.

Good for you!

I like the ocean.....but for now my home is "The Villages, Florida. 

d4ffb19a0748aab1e3659d67e6d4259c.jpg

Bronco56 wrote:
We are retired and live in Phoenix. The winters are great! For the hot summers we bought a home near Flagstaff. Two hours apart and a lot cooler!

Info Seeker

Message 77 of 100 (8,032 Views)
We are retired and live in Phoenix. The winters are great! For the hot summers we bought a home near Flagstaff. Two hours apart and a lot cooler!
Info Seeker

Message 78 of 100 (8,030 Views)

I introduced my husband to the Smokies on our honeymoon, and he fell in love with the area, just like I did when I lived in TN.  Anybody know of a small cabin on a little piece of land with a view of the mountains?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 79 of 100 (8,194 Views)
I want to stay in Naperville and live in Naperville for my retirement . I. Love my city Naperville . From Anne Kimble
Super Social Butterfly

Message 80 of 100 (8,124 Views)

I'm going to retire in my house.