Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 61 of 100 (2,565 Views)

@f93196k - Very helpful post!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 62 of 100 (2,497 Views)

@al54333720 - I live in NJ, and I've considered a move to the area of Delaware you mention. I'd prefer to be in a single family home, but those beach towns don't seem to have walkable downtowns with good shopping. Condo communities seem to be further inland. Do you live there .. how walkable are the towns, and are they inundated with vacationers/part-time residents in the summer?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 63 of 100 (1,818 Views)

I want to live in a non Democrat/leftist state in a rural parcel directly bordering state/federal: forest lands/lakeshore/seacoast where I can drop off the grid aka "walden" type existense/hunt/fish/garden/fruit tree/crab/sail/use dead[only]timber for fuel/rustic furniture/explore local nature/geology/hydrology in:southeastern coastal AK,ID,eastern WA,OR,WY, UT, MT,ND,MO,east TN,west NC,AR,NH,ME.

I turn 66 this May,and my SS will be limited

I need a good Protestant woman to join me SOON-ER !!!

Wh of you ladies will join me in these plans/move?

SN I'm talking about a cabin with static geothermal heat,some solar  roofing/ wind turbine/ram pump,shallow potable ground water,arable soil,>=10 miles out of town but within 72 hours of decent hospital,no close neighbors/shopping center/hazardous waste site,above tsunami/food lines/Ideally with landline electric[water pumping&refridgeration]&phone[basic internet[not cable TV/social media].

Any of you really ought to read:"Strategic Relocation"by Skouzas,distributed by Deltapress.com.

I have a heavy environmental/health/safety background,speak English and limited German,am plain spoken,Pro-2nd Amendment,currrently United Methodist Church member-and am Protestant by my deeds-not merely reciting verse!,process my own food/scratch cook&bake,tan fur/hides,make rustic furniture,dislike software/political correctness,am conservation oriented,like cats/dogs/skunks/other critters/etc. I figure on going to town[for church or supplies]once a week or less.Won't be a hermit.Want to "pick and choose" who I mingle with.

Again,who's going to join me?

Thanks,

Karl 

Info Seeker

Message 64 of 100 (2,527 Views)

I am currently a full-time software developer...

I plan to semi-retire, at 59, by doing short-term (3-6 month) work contracts (till 65 ?).  That will allow me to do some "traveling" !  I am hoping to get some gigs in Europe (my granparents are from Spain/Galicia and the Canary Islands).

Permanent retirement at 65 ?  It depends where and what the three kids are doing !

I was born in Cuba - I would like to spend some time there.  It has been 46 years since I left, and I have never been back...

Info Seeker

Message 65 of 100 (2,583 Views)

Simply--In a RV, on BLM Land Boondocking-very low cost. In the south for the winters, in the north for the summers.

Info Seeker

Message 66 of 100 (2,506 Views)

try canyon, tx.  Moved here from MN 15 years ago, and love it.

Info Seeker

Message 67 of 100 (2,721 Views)

I'm beginning to look into retiring.  One of the lifestyle situations I feel must be available is good public transportation.  While I've never been to San Francisco, I have heard that it is possible to get around easily without owning a car, so I plan to look into that.  Weather is also important.  I am originally from New England and moved to San Diego 10 years ago.  I found it extremely expensive and unfriendly toward renters (I had sold my house in New Hampshire and had promised my family I would wait to purchase anything -- I waited too long!)  I later found a job that paid barely enough to live, but the job was in Las Vegas, so I moved there and have been unhappy with the extreme heat.  When I retire (I will be 74 this year), I would like to volunteer in a library or school, I would like to be around a diverse group of people of all types and ages and I would like to be able to walk to all of my destinations.

Am I looking for more than any one city can provide?

Info Seeker

Message 68 of 100 (2,618 Views)

Iceland. I like remote areas. Plus, I don't really have a preference where I'll be buried.

Info Seeker

Message 69 of 100 (2,606 Views)

1.   Make your decision so your kids or other relatives will not make it for you when a quick decision must be made.

2.  Consider a CCRC.  CCRC's are great and will provide care as you age.  Investigate each one carefully and inspect their financial status.  We live in a non profit CCRC in Florida with a strong sponsor.

3.   In Florida it is hot, but every summer when I try to make a trip somewhere to cool down, it is hot there also.  We went to St Louis last year and it was so hot, I could not stay outside.  The good thing in Florida is the winters are not bad.

4.   Retire where you can catch a commercial flight.

5.   Consider the cost of living.

6.   Make sure your neighbors will have the same interests as you.

7.   Check the medical care available.

8.  DO NOT MOVE IN WITH RELATIVES.  IT WILL DESTROY YOUR RELATIONSHIP!

Conversationalist

Message 70 of 100 (2,727 Views)

If you want to live near the water, you may want to check out Delaware (Oceanview, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Bethany Beach).  It is inexpensive to live there, there is no sales tax and they do not tax you on your pension.  My husband and I are looking at Oceanview when we are ready to retire.