The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 31 of 145 (730 Views)

I'm from Denver but moved to Vegas to be w my kids/grandkids. The cost of living is low and the weather is nice moist of the yr. Just 3 -4 mos of hot  weather and 2 that are cool. There's a lot to do, no state taxes, I miss my home and the green landscape of the Rockies but all in all am happy here. Healthcare used to be lacking but there are many new hospitals and Dr's setting up practice. I'm not retired yet (I'm 63) but plan to stay here when I do. Just a thought! Good luck! 

Info Seeker

Message 32 of 145 (736 Views)

I'll look into the state thing, that's a good idea but Chicago is just too cold for me and I'm on a walker, that plus ice equals many ER visits. I really want something small, handicapped equipped and rural. Away from snow, tornado alley and I've survived enough hurricanes to last a lifetime. Like another user mentioned the Pacific Northwest sounds good, it gets cool but not too cold, granted there's a few volcanos to worry about. I don't have a problem being alone (as long as I don't fall of course) I just want peace and quiet. I want to relax maybe get back into photography.

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 145 (625 Views)

You might try Chicago, Illinois city and suburbs. My 94 year old mother had a very low income and qualified for Medicaid assistance to live in a very nice assisted living facility. It was quite modern and clean and she had her own apartment. Check out the State of Illinois website. Your own state should have a listing of places to live as well. Hope things work out for you.

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 145 (520 Views)

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

To the person who said not to give up on FL I'm living on straight disability, well below the poverty line. I highly doubt I could afford more than a broom-closet in your retirement community. We're barely holding on with two of us. Alone I doubt I could cover the bills and taxes and have anything left for food, gas, car insurance. I'm just lost, cconfused and scared.

Conversationalist

Message 35 of 145 (533 Views)

Don't give up on Florida.  We love in Ocala, at a 55 plus community called On Top of The World.  Check us out.  You just might find this to be your new home.  We love it here, and so do the other 10,000 or so that also like it here.

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 145 (549 Views)

Current age 60. Work full time. Current state California. If I can ever retire ideally want to go to FL Panama City Beach/Destin area. Relatively good climate. Within 2 hour drive to family. Must have warm climate. Must be able to garden and enjoy outdoors frequently. Beach is a real bonus. The reality however is bleak. CA is sucking the living soul out of me financially, politically and socially. But for now my job and home keep me here. 

Conversationalist

Message 37 of 145 (671 Views)
My heart goes out to you. I wish I could help somehow, but I don't live in the U.S. so I don't know about the resources that may be available to you. But, since you have posted on AARP, I hope you can ask their help in finding some viable options. Maybe there are some other threads that have information from the AARP community? Bless you, and I hope some kindness lights your life soon.
Info Seeker

Message 38 of 145 (632 Views)

Being fully disabled I guess I am 'retired' I rent from family right now but she's failing. I don't know what's going to happen to me. I spent two months in a low end physical rehab facility and elderly dumping ground and it was pure hell. I don't know where to go. Florida is so expensive and dangerous. I once thought I could find a place in the woods but since my accident I can't get off the ground. I'm lost and trapped. I don't know what states if any have the same medical coverge that's literally saved my life. I don't know who to talk to. I stand in darkness.

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 145 (635 Views)

Since I was a little girl living in Mobile, Alabama, I have always wanted to retire in Fairhope, Alabama. On Sundays, we had our big family meal after church, then my grandmother and I would go for a ride. We usually drove across the causeway to Fairhope. Sometimes, we would park and walk down the pier to look at Mobile Bay. 

Of course, Fairhope has changed in the last 40 years. It has become extremely popular to families of all ages. The property value has become much higher than I expected. 

Currently, my family and I live in Overland Park, Kansas which is a wonderful place for families. But, my family lives near the Gulf Coast and I’d like to be near them. Plus, I miss being near the water. There isn’t any water in our area. 

I have some high school friends and family members, who are living in Fairhope and love it. 

Info Seeker

Message 40 of 145 (737 Views)

In the most economical portion of Washington State. 

Suggestions AARP?