Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Conversationalist

Re: Jonesboro, Ga or Houston Texas

Message 31 of 100 (1,851 Views)
Try Mexico. I live there very well on about $1000/month. Own my own 3 bed/2 bath house with big living/dining room, on 1 acre of land. My property taxes are under $20/year. Climate in the central highlands is very moderate.
Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 32 of 100 (2,239 Views)

Rapid City? You'll be moving to the area of the country that I spent my life in. Beautiful area, but it gets very cold and snowy there.

We recently retired to Central Florida. It was my dream spot, but now I have second thoughts about it. We made a mistake in our living arrangements. We bought a cute little mobile home in a senior Mobile Home Park. I had this Vision that it would all be nice, sweet, middle aged people who just wanted to play Bingo and chat. People who are tired of the bickering and one-upping each other after being in the Work World their entire lives Not so. Too many nasty, judgemental, racist, homophobic people in here. I'm sure this doesn't apply to all the senior mobile home communities, but we'll be looking for an apartment soon. I'd rather be around a more diverse crowd. As far as the weather, wildlife, and scenery, it's all perfect.

Info Seeker

Re: Jonesboro, Ga or Houston Texas

Message 33 of 100 (2,378 Views)

I like the idea of warm weather and low taxes

Info Seeker

Re: Where do I ant to retire?

Message 34 of 100 (2,651 Views)
Asheville, NC, where they filmed "Being There," with Peter Sellers.! Beautiful place.
Info Seeker

Message 35 of 100 (2,841 Views)

I'd like to find a town in the northeast/Middle Atlantic states along a train line; also near water, like the ocean, bay or a river.  No need to live on the water, but it would be great to be able to  walk to it.  I realize that the taxes with be a lot more than I pay now (I live in Florida), but living in a town  near mass transit is an OK trade, for me.  Many of the beach towns have housing costs that are often prohibitive .  Suggestions?   

Also, are there any  websites that alllow one to plug in information that might help find some locations?  I've looked at several and they are pretty simplistic, or are connected to retirement communities.  I'd like to avoid a retirement community and live in a town or city.

bj5
Info Seeker

Message 36 of 100 (3,174 Views)

IRELAND  I love rainy days       B &  j

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 100 (6,185 Views)

Sounds like you'd enjoy the Willamette Valley in Oregon. I was thinking Eugene, specifically, from some of your comments--an hour's drive from the beautiful and rugged coastline of the Pacific Ocean (the wonderful McKenzie & Willamette Rivers are nearby, too), great local airport to connect you to major airports, hippie enclave, arts galore, University of Oregon's hometown (bright minds and thriving programs), Oregon residents LOVE their dogs (and cats) so you'd find some kind of animal rescue work, no doubt.  Portland is a doable drive (2 hours approx.) and center of much of what you want, as well, with a thriving arts community--music, writing, performance arts, museum, etc. Housing prices are higher in P-land than Eugene. Recreational and medical marijuana are legal here, not that you asked, but for some, it's a draw. While snow isn't a regular happening for the Willamette Valley, it does occur occasionally. Winter is usually rain and then more rain, but summers are lovely and mild--rarely hitting the high 90s and beyond.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 38 of 100 (6,413 Views)

Sorry, duplicate answer. 

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 100 (6,380 Views)

Sorry, posted before I finished--happy fingers !!!  Although you stated you would like to be near BIG water, that would be the only thing missing from your criteria.  However, there are MANY great rivers and lakes with beautiful waterfalls in the mountains and so again I say, give it a look.

Info Seeker

Message 40 of 100 (6,389 Views)

You might consider Asheville, North Carolina.  It seems to fill your desired parameters, and is a WONDERFUL city in the Smokey Mountains.  Check it out online, then maybe take a short vacation.

North Carolinian