The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 21 of 145 (645 Views)

I plan to retire in June 2018 and am interested in the Olympic Pennisula in Washington state. I have visited Sequim and like the town.  I have friends there and in neighboring towns. What can you tell me about the area?

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 145 (649 Views)

Have been in Ohio for the past 7 years due to my husbands job.  Our plan is to move back to my home state of Wisconsin where family is. I lived in a small town for over 50 years and moving to a big city at that age was culture shock to say the least.  Retirement for us is 3 years away, but we are looking at real estate from time to time and are finding that comparitively, where we want to move is quite a bit higher than where my husband is from in New York state.  That's the price we have to pay if we want to be by the kids.  :-(

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 145 (802 Views)

I can't help but reply to the folks who are afraid to move to Mexico because a television show (Border Wars) shows how dangerous it is. 

While I would not consider moving to Mexico, myself, I would consider moving to Cabot Cove, Maine, even though Jessica Fletcher was called upon to solve a murder there nearly every week. If she didn't travel, Cabot Cove would have become a ghost town. 

I worked in the industry for most of my working life, and it's hard to convince people of the difference between truth and fiction. My own mother was afraid to wear a seat belt because she was convinced that cars explode on impact. I could never convince her that we packed those cars with explosives, and if she watched the screen, she would see three separate explosions, one forward, from the engine, one rear from the gas tank area, and one in the middle, passenger area because three of something is more aesthetically pleasing than two.

Please, people, visit a place and form your own opinions. Do not be swayed by a television show or a movie. It's likely filmed somewhere other than where it's supposed to be set, anyway. 

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 145 (929 Views)

Tenn,around Maryville. I wonder how welcome gay's are as I have a cousin that is planning to move now. My spouse and I plan to once he retires in 6 yrs. Love the

Smokie Mt's!

dreamhomenj wrote:

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Conversationalist

Message 25 of 145 (823 Views)

I live in the rural area of Indianapolis, IN. I am orginally from Tucson, **bleep**.  So my 'want to's' are Tucson, **bleep** or Greece.

~Sharon~
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 145 (787 Views)

I want to live in Montgomery County, Maryland.  It is a very progressive, tolerant, open-minded area,very unlike the area I currently live.  It has an incredibly vibrant active retirement community called Leisure World.  It is also located very close to Washington, D.C., with many cultural, culinary, and entertainment options.  I am looking forward to moving here.

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 145 (683 Views)

I have often wondered why Indiana is not promoted as a good retirement state.   We live in Ft. Wayne, a beautiful medium-size city.  We have more going on here than we can possibly do, great golf courses, top-notch philharmonic orchestra and civic theater, a poster-picture ball park, lots of lakes within an hour.  It does sometimes turn cold in the winter, but much more reasonable to live here and visit warm weather for a month!

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 145 (728 Views)

Enenrgy and light going out to those with such difficult situations.

I am single, 68,    and in good health.

I live in DesMoines,I A, and this is a two by two state -- couples and family encouraged.

I'm from Chicago and my son is there, but where I'd like to live in Chicago is too expensive, and if I'm going to try a suburb, Imight as well saty in Des Moines.

The liberal triangle of NC sounds very exciting.

I'm a writer and would like to take advantage of the cultural scene.

What is the cost of living like? Can singles fit in?

My daughter is in DSM now,but very fluid!

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 145 (758 Views)

I have always wanted to live near Boston.  I'm a Museum Educator with a specialty in the 18th Century.

What's the cost of living like?  Museums (unfortunately) don't pay much.

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 145 (655 Views)

1) Kanab Utah.  Volunteer at Best Friends Animal Society

2) Santa Fe NM

3)Flagstaff **bleep** 

i live in Florida Now.  Though I love Ocala.  That is the Only nice place left in Florida.  Not hugely affordable for middle income families

not a good enough reason to stay

florida is a Dump.  Everywhere.

The People are Atrocious. Horrible.  Rude. Self Absorbed  

Then there are the Snowbirds. Who feel We Owe Them our lives. Because They vacation here 

the Education system one of the lowest in the country

public transportation is non existent   

There are limited nature places left that are intact

Work is limited to service or tourism

Been here 20 years. Counting the days.minutes  until I can get out