Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin
Regular Contributor

Can't paint but it does sound really nice

Regular Contributor

I would like to live somewhere like in the Youtube videos Self Reliance; i think its in Canada where this man builds himself a cabin, all by himself and the dog. This guy is a genuis!!

Wendell Bowen
Silver Conversationalist

I want to be more like a tumbleweed and less like a tree. I want to travel the world and live in as many places as I can, while I can. I've visited 3 continents and lived in 2 but I want to have visited and lived in all of them, except for Antarctica, a visit is a possibility but an extended stay seems not. I enjoy meeting new people and I like the adventure that new locales provide. This Covid thing definitely has put a hold on my plans for travel but it's also made me realize that if I'm going to do anything besides dream, I'd better do what I can, when I can. Because one of these days, the tumbleweed that I feel I'd like to be will eventually not be able to tumble any further along.

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

I chose after living and working around the world, would be the southern region of Portugal. The weather, the locals, the food, the wine, and good medical care.

Like to speak with the Portugal retiree.

What's the main language?

What're the costs of living comparable to as in the US?

Gold Conversationalist

I can't speak to the relative living costs. But surely the main language is Portuguese. (also the main language in Brazil)

@PaulR741657 wrote:

Like to speak with the Portugal retiree.

What's the main language?

What're the costs of living comparable to as in the US?

Where I currently live , Green Valley, Arizona.

Periodic Contributor

I have lived in Indiana, and hated it. The people I lived near, and worked with, were reactionary, and bigoted and paranoid, especially about non natives. Also, the education system in the county I lived in, was very bad.  Out of date texts, few computers for kids, no kindergarten, school buildings were in need of a lot of maintainance.   The things that were going on in the world, that people near me knew nothing about, was astounding.  I had to get out of there-and I won't ever return! 

I grew up in Western NY, and have returned there.  Yes, the taxes are high, but our public education system is extremely good.  Infrastructure is good, whereas in Indiana, roads were full of potholes, and if they were washed out, in the area I lived in, it took ages to get those roads repaired.   

We know when a blizzard is coming, we know when its going to get humid, or we're going to have a thunderstorm with high winds.  We don't get many tornadoes, and the ones we do get, are very weak, usually.  Yes, we have some faults nearby, but the earthquakes we get, are only strong enough, to maybe shake the floor.  Maybe.  We don't get floods much, as most of our streams and creeks have been managed so they don't overflow their banks during a rainstorm.  We don't get forest fires.  Yes, we get that frigid snap in January, when everyone says, its ever been this cold-well, not since last year at this time, that is.  And, we get maybe 90 of so inches of snow.  So, learn to ski!  Downhill, or cross country, either is done here.   Or, just sit by the window, and watch the snow come down-its a lot prettier to watch than rain!  And, we get humid summers that can get in the low 90's.  So what.  You just pick one of two Great Lakes, or Chautauqua Lake, and sit in a nice easy lake breeze, beverage of choice in your hand, and watch the world go by.  

And, Buffalo has the original chicken wings.  Always served with bleu cheese dressing, never ranch!  And, we have beef on weck, fresh horse radish, home made pierogis, fantastic pasta, Burmese food, Thai food, Yemeni, Chinese, Japanese, Greek...and every where you go in the summer, there's a farm stand with at least 3 kinds of corn on the cob.

We have great wines, produced locally, and lots of craft breweries as well. 

In the summer, there's a festival-a BIG one-every weekend.  Summer weekends are for food, wine and beer and cider produced from local grapes, hops, and apples.  For wandering around paintings and jewelry and hand crafted furniture.  For watching chalk artists. 

People are friendly here.  If you look lost, someone will stop, ask you what you're looking for, and usually walk with you there.  If you have car trouble, more than a few people will stop, and offer to change a tire, let you use their cell phone to call AAA (or, put your flat tire or empty gas tank on their AAA card), or ask if you'd like a ride to a gas station.  When there's a BLM protest, with a curfew, its not unknown for everyone, police and protestors, to take a knee, as one, have a moment of silence, then stand, and say to each other, "Well, see you tomorrow."  I did have a  bit of an argument with a cop at a protest not too long ago-but over whether a cover should be put over Buffalo Bills stadium, to cut down on the wind off Lake Erie, that makes kicking a punt or field goal so damned hard.

Florida and the Carolinas are nice to visit, but, Western NY, with all its variety, is always going to be home.

Contributor

Tennessee

Contributor

Stay in the house That I have lived in for the last 66 years.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Where I currently live, Phoenix, Arizona.

Contributor

Philippines.

Silver Conversationalist

I was stationed there for 3 years in the Navy. Beautiful place, beautiful people and English is a required subject in their schools. It's a popular place for expats these days. The food is delicious as well!

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

In an RV in Jacksonville, Destin, or Pensacola, Florida...when storms come, I can drive off to safety.

Contributor

Very near a body of water in the interior of the US (lake or river - can be near a coast but not too near an ocean), preferably in a warmer climate, politically liberal area, a college town with a population under 100,000, and a lively arts scene. It should also be a place that doesn't necessarily cater to needs of an elderly population, but one that recognizes and supports those needs (things like having sidewalks, some kind of public transportation system, etc).   Of course a place where the cost of living is at least lower than average would be wonderful also.  

North Carolina 

Tennessee 

NE Texas

Central New Hampshire

Move to Las Vegas

I want to move to Henderson  nv nice place to retire to

Contributor

We are planning to move to Wisconsin to live near my sister.

Contributor

We are also moving to WI to be near my sister!

Contributor

My wife and I are planning to retire 2022. We presently live in CT in the Fairfield County area. We are leaning toward South Carolina possible in the Aiken area or nearby. We are a mixed interracially couple ( I am White and Jewish - Spouse is African American and Southern Baptist) and our priority is an area where we would feel comfortable and welcome. Looking for feedback or suggestions cities , towns, etc. We are just in the thinking phase at this time - Thanks

Periodic Contributor

Judging by the names on almost every political yard sign and bumper sticker and the volume of confederate flags in highway convenience stores, I would recommend NOT South Carolina.

sound perfect to me.  God ,guns, liberty what more could a person ask for. 

We lived in Aiken 4 years we loved it there. We are in South Dakota near our oldest son currently. We will return to Aiken after COVID   There are lots of retired people there We enjoyed the numerous outside activities   We had horses  back in Maryland it’s great for that. Golf and the Aiken Center for the arts  is great. Also the Albrecht  center for animal welfare is terrific 

Good luck

Contributor

We are also a mixed interracial couple and we’ve been married 48 years.  I am prior military and we’ve lived in the West, Pacific Northwest, Midwest, and South areas of USA, not to mention places overseas.  We’ve found the Midwest, Bellevue & Papillion NE, to be the most comfortable and accepting. We’ve been here now for 30 years, longer than any other place.  The winters are cold, summers are hot, and the taxes are high, but there is truth in the State’s slogan, “The Good Life”.

Kansas City Missouri 

Contributor

This is close to family.

Hawaii

Kudos
Views

DO YOU LIVE THERE NOW?  Ive always wanted to go there but I hear it is ultra expensive. I wonder what area you live in and how long you have been there.  Also, do you miss the states?

Social Butterfly

Just recently retired and have lived all my life in Arizona even though I was born in Oklahoma on the Comanche Reservation. Have worked all over the West Coast and Southwest. Have been thinking about moving to South Carolina or Scotland/England. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP