The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 11 of 145 (623 Views)

Agreed, NH is great on taxes but it get colder and snowier than CT. It's definitely something to consider as you age. For several years i got around with a cane but if it was raining then anything tile was like ice. Now I'm on a walker and unable to get up on my own from any fall so any place with substantial snowfall is out of bounds for me. One fall in the bathroom put me on this walker and destroyed my back.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 145 (551 Views)

Georgia, a warm climate been in northwest all my life and the winters are getting to be too much...

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 145 (569 Views)

jh50658433 wrote:

Rapid City South Dakota. The state doesn't tax Social Security Benefits.

@jh50658433  Plus there are truckloads a really wonderful people there! Kind, friendly, upbeat and engaged.  Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 145 (540 Views)

Good morning,

We have lived in Connecticut for the past 30+ years but CT tends to be expensive.  For the same reasons as you; being closer to family as well as trying to reduce expenses, we are planning on moving to New Hampshire -- no income tax on pension or SS, no Sales Tax, and southern NH is about an hour and 15 minutes from Boston (where two of our kids live).  Also, Boston is home to a major airport (we enjoy traveling when possible).  

I would love to hear feedback from people about New Hampshire.  

Thank you.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 145 (703 Views)

We will go to Arizona. Can't wait as we have been dreaming about it for over 20 years. The weather, architecture, culture, food, art ....... Just love everything about it.

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?Greenville, SC

Message 16 of 145 (621 Views)

Love, love, love Arizona but want to escape mortgage payments.  Cost of housing in SC looks appealing and negligable snowfall (originally from Michigan!)

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 145 (615 Views)

I have lived in Boise Idaho for the last 30 years, and have decided that it is not a place to retire. I have found a place in Kingman arizona . The weather is good, and costs are low. 

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 145 (565 Views)

I've been living in Cincinnati metro area for 8 years. Though much has changed positively over this time it is not a place I could ever call home. I'm hoping to retire in Dec 2018 and move back to New England to be near family. The hard part is expenses. Rent alone in most places is twice what it is here and energy costs are about 20-30% higher. My first thought is Western Massachusetts or Providence RI. Anyone know anything about either or currently live there?

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 145 (568 Views)

Tennessee 

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 145 (667 Views)

I totally agree-  there is nothing like being near familyHeart